Natural Birth

Help me fight for a natural birth for my wife

My wife is 39 weeks and her water leaked (small amount) last night with very mild contraction. We have Kaiser Santa Clara and called in was advised to come in to L&D to see if water really broke.

Nurse confirmed water was broken (still small amount of leakage) and she maybe offered pitocin later on to avoid infection. We were admitted and transfer to a birth room. She was asked to get a IV line and we said no. And the nurse keep on insisting... We said no IV and they left.

2nd shift comes in and offered pitocin again and more horrid story about infection. We said no pitocin.

3rd RN comes in and asked again. We said no. Again this is after just 5hrs

By 8hrs, she comes in again this time with a male staff doc, he force us to give him a time line of getting pit saying my wife's birth is not normal. Meaning water broke with mild contractions.

I made sure her temp is below 37, no yellow or green color discharge, all clean and not smelly. And I asked him which part of her birth is not normal he said I just told u! And keep on saying this is not normal and should use pitocin ASAP and we said we will decide later but in out mind we didn't want any drugs.

Right now it's been 15hrs she still on the bed and no IV no put yet.
Contraction is every 30mins
Pain level 5.5/10 according to her.

What steps should we take to ensure natural birth.

How long can we hold out here?

Is it ok to ask to go home? I am sure we will be asked to have waivers signed.

Please help!

Re: Help me fight for a natural birth for my wife

• It sounds like things need to pick up. Most practices want LO out within 24 hours of water breaking and most MW will give you 12-18 hours for contractions to start/pick up before suggesting pitocin. I am so sorry that you guys are dealing with pushy staff/doctors. It is very frustrating.
    I would suggest a could of things to help get stuff going. Walking may help so maybe she should take a few laps around the hospital. Also maybe try nipple stimulation. The sucking action can also help with picking up contractions. You should be able to request a breast pump to borrow at the hospital so have your wife try using it.
    GL!
  • Thanks for the reply. Update : 18hrs in and still not much progress: mild contraction, no fever, steady heart beat of the baby, clear fluid discharge. (Same condition checked in)

We're asked 5 more times by 3 different dr about pitocin! We still standing our ground. It's tough to have to argue with the dr n nurse when they bombard you with how things can go horribly wrong with pitocin?

"If we wait till she has an infection her uterus may not be able to delivery a baby"

"If we wait and baby heart rates dropped below 90 for 3 mins, we will have to do a c section right away, and risk damaging Baby's brain since there may not be enough time to do it, we would only have 12 minutes do operate..."

"Pitocin leads to less chance of having a c-section" (this is the opposite of what everyone's saying...)

It's tough and I told them to not ask again whether we want any drugs...

They made us feel like we are the bad guys standing in their way of doing what's "best" for the baby....

I'm no medical expert all I got is resource online and what I learnt from documentary. But I do feel like we are being pushed constantly to do something we don't want to.

I wished I found a midwives like I planned but I believed the kaiser ob that natural birth is respected here.
    We sure don't feel that way at all.

For all future mom and dad who wish for a natural birth. I wish u never have to deal with what we are dealing with right now....

It's mentally draining..

I really want to check out of the hospital with all these non sense but after hearing the bad scenario what If the baby heart beat does drop or she develop a infection at home?

Then why are some moms waiting at home till they have very strong 5 mins construction till they come to the hospital can't we do the same now?
  • Loading the player...
  • You can't do the same because her water is broken so she is at risk for infection. I'm sorry you are feeling pressured and things aren't going as planned. With both of my daughters my water was broken 24+ hours before I delivered, one 24.5 and the other 27.5. With both I got the iv antibiotics. Getting the iv might buy you some time before pitocin. Sometimes some interventions are necessary. If she ends up with an iv or pit it is not the end of the world and she can still have a natural birth. Good luck! I hope her contractions pick up soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the reply. It's so warm to see a reply....feels like we are not fighting this alone.... She's still hanging in there and contractions are picking up, hoping she will be able have the natural birth she wants.

What I meant from my last post was that I read some moms broke their water in situation like us and wait at home till she's having 5 mins contractions to come to L&D to avoid what we are fighting through right now.

If they care so much about infection why did the rn or dr never checks or asks for the color of her discharge?

Also, you realize that when they try to sell you pitocin, they never mention the bad things the come with it? "It's for the baby". Really?

They would say almost anything they can to scare you.

First get you hooked on IV.
    Glad she didn't or else she wouldn't be able to walk around freely...

IV leads to pitocin, then epidural, ....

I should stop typin my restless rant and pray that she will have a safe birth soon.
  • SayNoPitSayNoPit member
    edited April 2014
    God bless her and my baby
  • Is she walking and/or doing stairs to try and get things moving?  Nipple stimulation (either manually or with a pump) can stimulate contractions too.

Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, Childbirth/Lactation Educator

Corin Andrew Dec 24/09

Ronan Edward Jul 9/12

Baby #3 EDD Aug 6/14

• 24hrs pasted. Today, she has been walking around inside the room and she's getting them simulated as well. It does help but she's resting now
  • You can ask for a saline lock to get the antibiotics without being constantly hooked to the IV if you want.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Pitocin isn't evil. I had it and still had a pain-med free vaginal birth. I wouldn't wait forever after her water breaks. I had a friend who took 36 hours after her water broke and both she and the baby ended up with infections. And the only reason they didn't do a c-section is that she has a clotting disorder so a c-section was as risky as an infection. But it meant they both spent more time in the hospital after the birth. Like, days, not hours.
  • cwm11985cwm11985 member
    edited April 2014
    You can still have a natural birth on Pitocin; I did it and my labor was 22 hours.  I kind of think you either need to go home or get the pit going...it seems like you may be wasting time in the hospital otherwise.

Also re: not being able to move around freely with an IV...where did you get that idea?  I had an IV in for 22 hours and moved around the entire time, I never once even got on the bed until I wanted to push there.  She can have an IV and move around as much as she wants.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pit is necessary sometimes. It is not good for the mom or baby to wait too long after rupture of membranes because infection can set in, and become life-threatening to both mom and baby. In my area, there was a mom whose midwife advised her to stay home for several days after her water broke, and her baby died of infection in utero. That is the kind of scenario your doctors are trying to avoid. They may seem pushy, but they have seen things go wrong and are trying to prevent that for your wife and baby. Your wife can talk to them about what she wants for this birth and see what options she can have while still staying safe. But the ultimate thing that birth is about is bringing a baby into the world, and sometimes that requires medical help.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lissydee said:
    If after 24hrs after ROM and no consistent labor pattern, then pit is absolutely indicated.  Ask for a low dose and only have them increase it 1-2mu/min every 45 minutes or so. 

No, no, and no.

The risk with ROM is infection. Allow now vaginal exams and the risk is very, very low. 
    It's extremely rare to go more than 48 hours after ROM with no contractions/LO not arriving.

FWIW, with S. my water broke (like really broke) and consistently gushed. However, I had only sporadic contractions. My water broke as I was getting into bed. I think I had 2 contractions that night and 4 of 5 throughout the next day. The same thing happened the next night and day.
    Finally, 48 hours after ROM, consistent contractions set in.

and 4 hours later (so 52  hours after ROM) S. was born.

That being said, I had no vaginal exams. I took my temperature to monitor for infection. I stayed home (to decrease exposure to bacteria in public places). 

I am so glad my MW was supportive and we were still able to have our HB.

GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @SayNoPit --> You are surely enjoying your little bundle by now, but let us know how everything went when you get the chance!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MommyAtty said:
    The question here for me is about balance. I am all about as few interventions as are necessary. For example, I wouldn't agree to pitocin if I was in labor, water hadn't broken, the baby was showing no signs of distress, and the doc just wanted to hurry things along. But when there is an honest-to-God serious risk to me or my baby, I am all about doing everything medically available to reduce or eliminate that risk. There was a time when the biggest killer of women was childbirth. And a time when it was hard to find a woman who had not lost a child at or soon after birth. Medical intervention, as much as it may be overused, does have a place in childbirth. The pendulum swinging too far in either direction is a bad thing. I think this "oh, never pitocin! Just refuse to let anyone check the baby or the mother and you'll be fine!" is too far in the other direction.
    I completely agree.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • There have been some cochrane reviews that have shown augmenting lot doesn't really reduce infection rates in neonates. I would definitely decline until at least 24 hours, so I can understand why op is so frustrated they started pushing it so hard right off the bat. There's also not clear evidence to support iv antibiotics. Hopefully baby is here safe and sound by now! If not, watch out for them trying to send it to the nicu for observation due to prolonged rupture of membranes.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats! I am glad things worked out and she was able to avoid all the interventions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"