Multiples
Options

Intro and also looking for those with placenta previa experience

Hello! I've been lurking here and learning for a while and figured it's time to introduce myself. I'm 17.5 weeks with di di girls - we did IVF after 3 years of infertility. My DH and I are very excited! Last Sunday I had my first bleeding in pregnancy and found out I have complete placenta previa. I had a second scary bleed on Monday night but since then have only had the tiniest amount of spotting of brown old blood. Was on bedrest at home 72 hours and now activity restriction, travel restriction, pelvic rest. Luckily I can still work for now b/c my job is sedentary. It's been an adjustment - I'm a very active person and was really into yoga and also doing a lot of projects around the house. I've also learned that the course of previa is very variable and unpredictable so I'm also trying to learn how to deal with all these unknowns. If anyone has any advice/experience, I'd love to hear it.

My other burning question is how much do you think a used DSNG on Craigslist should cost? I'm seeing one for $60 but that seems a bit high for something that is $100 new.
Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
IUI #1-2 BFN
IUI #3 BFP = C/P
IUI #4-6 BFNs
IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Intro and also looking for those with placenta previa experience

• Options
    Welcome and congratulations! No experience with placenta previa, so I can't offer you advice on that. As for Craigslist, they probably know people will lowball them, so I would offer $40 or whatever your comfortable with :)
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    I had a placenta previa.  I was on pelvic rest for it, and it did eventually move out of the way by 30 weeks.  I did not have bleeding issues, but was warned about bleeding. I was on limited activity level to prevent contractions, so it wasn't really the previa that restricted me.  All in all, that didn't end up causing any issues, although I was glad to know about it in case I did start bleeding.

I bought a brand new DSNG for $60 something on sale on Amazon with free shipping (looks like they are $80 currently, but prices fluctuate), so I definitely wouldn't pay $60 new.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have placenta previa with one of the placentas from my di/di boys and had some bleeding right around the same time you are.  I think I was 17 or 18 weeks.  It was all brown spotting and lasted for a couple of days.  I ended up going to L&D to get checked and my MFM did an ultrasound and everything looked fine.  My ob said that it was most likely caused by my low lying placenta because old blood can pool underneath it.  I wasn't put on any restrictions and haven't had any issues since.  I have been making sure I listen to my body, and I'm generally taking it easy these days.

The lower placenta is apparently already on the move, but not completely out of the way yet.  I had a good friend who had previa her entire singleton pregnancy, got a c/s date, had her last ultrasound at 37 weeks, and the placenta had finally moved.  She was able to have a vaginal birth.  So, you still have plenty of time for it to get out of the way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice!

Thank you @lynnrd80 and @PurpleIris30 for your placenta previa stories. I'm still doing OK but unfortunately had more bleeding (and bad cramping) and now back on bed rest. Hoping for the best and adjusting to the uncertainty!
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

• Options
    Hello and welcome! I don't have placenta previa experience, but I'd recommend an XP or search on the high risk board as you might find some experience and answers there. 

For the DSNG, part depends on how recently it was manufactured and condition. Older models accommodate more brands of infant seats. I have an older one that fits Graco seats, but newer ones generally don't. I've seen them go for anything in the range of $35-$80. My sister bought mine off Craigslist and I think she paid $65 because it was like-new (sellers decided against infant seats) and included a bunch of extras like a travel bag.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    Welcome and congrats! First, what type do you have I.e. low-lying, partial or complete previa? If you do not know ask! It will make a very big difference it what you are possibly looking at complication wise.

I had complete previa and was very ill prepared. I started bleeding in the middle of the night, went to l&d then transferred to a higher level hospital; left five days later. Then on Christmas morning had a major bleed to the point we had to call 911- I was again transferred up to the higher level hospital; this time I never left.

I remained on hospital bedrest for nearly 6 weeks. I bled four more times but each time they had to make a decision whether or not to deliver. They scheduled me at exactly 34 weeks for a csection due to the high risk and chance of hemmoraging. At exactly 33 weeks I had a major bleed and they were born 15 mins later.

Complete previa can be very dangerous and have a high risk of potential complications which needs to be evaluated very closely and can land you on hospital bedrest.

Definitely find out what type of previa you have as they never clarified it to me and really wish they would have so I could have been more prepared. Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions. My boys are now 9 weeks.
  • Options
    @matthew24 - thanks for your post. I'm glad to hear your boys are here. I hope you all are doing well! Mine is also a complete previa unfortunately. They're trying home bedrest for me first, but if I have big bleeds I will end up on hospital bed rest. I'm only 18 weeks now, so at this point of course there is nothing they can do to save the babies, so the hospital bedrest would be to save me if I began to hemorrhage badly. Luckily I live close to a very good hospital with a high level NICU.
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

• Options
    Sorry to hear it is complete previa. I hope you all the best. It was very scary but I am ok and both babies are good! I wasn't writing to scare you but more to be prepared. My first bleed was at 25 and was permanently hospitalized at 27 weeks. It sucked but I was where I needed to be. The bleeds would come out nowhere, it's so unpredictable. I felt very unprepared and my doctors never advised me that it was complete which pissed me off. I had a low lying with my dd so I understood to a certain degree which is why I was very surprised. Now it 'may' move up some what but in experience, with being this far along, it probably won't move out completely but I am not a doctor.

The hospital was able to hold me off until 33 weeks which I am so grateful for. It sucks but looking back it was a vacation :) my best advice is ro be your strongest allie, listen to the nurses and follow you gut! I wish you all the best. And seriously if you have any questions please let me knpw.

• Options
    *sorry for all the typos I am one handing it :(*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"