April 2014 Moms

Post-maternity belts/girdles/etc -what does the medical community say?

So my mom keeps telling me that I should consider wearing a girdle postpartum, but I don't know much about it except that my families have always used them (and they had LOTS of babies). I can't find much on how the medical community feels about it when I search. Anyone have any insight? Also, I feel like some abdominal support could help be because my belly is super sore and hurts when I make sudden movemts that jar it. In light of that, any advice on brands/qualities/etc.?

Re: Post-maternity belts/girdles/etc -what does the medical community say?

• I was given an abd binder in the hospital after my c/s so I say if it makes you feel better go for it.
  • i have a big abdominal gap left from the pregnancy, and i was given the very generic elastic belly band during my hospital stay.  it's not much more than a cheap girdle, though, so i need to schedule a PT consult soon to have my needs evaluated.  i'm told they can and will fit me for a custom band that is designed to help support the stomach and coax the abs back together faster and better than what they'd likely do if just left alone.  i was also told, though, that the best success comes when someone with a true ab split also does PT along with wearing the support band, so it seems it's a two-legged stool (which sounds like a TERRIBLE stool... hahaha!!)
  • Loading the player...
  • I used the belly band on my maternity pants, it made me a lot more comfortable. I just felt so weird having my lose stomach move around when ever I did anything. Now with baby number two I have one packed and ready for the hospital.
  • I asked my doctor about abdominal binders. I was given one at the hospital after my c section last time. She said they don't give them anymore unless there is bad abdominal muscle separation. She made a comment about increased risk of pneumonia. This made me sad because it really helped me last time and I heard the hospital ones are better than the ones you buy. Maybe I will ask for one if I feel like I need it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used mine a lot. I think it helped get my hips back and made me feel less jiggly.
  • I didn't have a C section, but I used a binder for a while after my first birth. I'm not sure what the medical community's official status on them is, but I think it helped me. It made me feel more secure about all the loose skin down there and I was able to bounce back to pre-baby size before too long. I already have it packed in my hospital bag for this time. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I don't have any medical experience but I can tell you my experience in the last week.  I have a belly bandit and my son is 7 days old and I am drastically smaller and tighter.  I am in love with mine.  I feel so much more supported than when I don't wear it.  I could barely fasten it when DS was born and now I almost have it as tight as it will go.  Not only does it make me feel better but I am so much smaller! :)
  • Thank y'all so much! I'm definitely going to get one. The last two days my belly has been so sore any time I move around. I need that support I guess. I didn't have one with my first but I think this time I do.

Are the ones you all wear just for the tummy or do they also go over the crotch? That part scares me bc that's what hurts the most (just sitting hurts my epi). @MrsEmilyS‌ @strawberrytree‌ @Calla123‌ @klgallup‌ @MamaFantastic‌ @ColleenSwerb‌ @RedDawnsRevenge‌
  • the one i have right now looks like a big elastic-y fabric stretchy tube top that i just shimmy up my hips and onto my belly area.  not sure what a more formal/professional one might look like.

it sounds like you need support undies instead :)  do you have some ice packs and other would care products (tucks pads, foam spray, sitz bath stuff, etc) you can use?
  • I started out with the hospital belt but my sister found compression panties at a maternity store and those were much nicer than the belt after the first couple weeks. Motherhood maternity has their own brand but theirs also the c-pantie
  • @RedDawnsRevenge‌

Are the panties you're talking about something that if be able to wear while the episiotomy is hurting? I ask bc I'm still in pain right now and I keep reading that it's best to wear the compression stuff just after delivery for a few weeks. Since my baby is 1 week tomorrow, I want to get something soon. Also, my mom swears that despite the pain it sounds like it'll be, the panties actually help the pain. Did you find that too?
  • Question for you guys, are the belts designed solely to help with c-section mamas/just to feel more secure and smaller or can they actually help with diastatis recti as well?  In the last month, my ab separation has gotten a lot more noticeable (to me at least).  I'm hoping it heals on its own, but I'm paranoid that it won't.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't have any facts to back this up but I I asked my OB and he said don't bother because he doesn't believe they do anything. He also does some cosmetic procedures so he is very familiar with the post baby body. I was hoping he would say it does work.
  • I was going to get one, but decided I'm going to live in my walmart (yep walmart!) black maternity leggings that go over the belly. I think they'll be enough for all I need, to hold in that jiggle while things shrink back down. I have a long pair and a capri pair. Good luck in your search =)

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine was just over the tummy. It wasn't a medical grade one, just a commercial one. It had a big patch of Velcro...the first day or two I could barely get it done up but by a week pp it fit much more snugly.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • @Mamaengen‌ I had a c/s do I cant make any promises on them helping or hurting the episiotomy. Only the top half of the panty is "compression".
  • I really benefited from one when I had DS. I needed the support. I did have more abdominal separation with him so maybe that's why. I didn't feel a need these last two times so I haven't tried it again but I say if it makes you more comfortable then go for it!

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • My appt is this afternoon... I'll update with what I'm told then.
  • Mamaengen said:
    Thank y'all so much! I'm definitely going to get one. The last two days my belly has been so sore any time I move around. I need that support I guess. I didn't have one with my first but I think this time I do. Are the ones you all wear just for the tummy or do they also go over the crotch? That part scares me bc that's what hurts the most (just sitting hurts my epi). @MrsEmilyS‌ @strawberrytree‌ @Calla123‌ @klgallup‌ @MamaFantastic‌ @ColleenSwerb‌ @RedDawnsRevenge‌

I have the Bamboo Belly Bandit.  I love it.  It just goes around your stomach/hips though it does ride up a bit that is my only complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"