C-sections

If I have to choose C-section or Episiotomy; which is better?

hi! I make large headed children. I have a 3rd degree tear and an episiotomy last time around and the recovery was a nightmare. It still hurts down there sometimes. I spoke to my doctor and he said that if it came down to it, he would let me choose to have a C-section delivery. I'm wondering which is better recovery-wise?

Thank you

Re: If I have to choose C-section or Episiotomy; which is better?

• I think it's different for everyone. I can't speak about an episiotomy but I did just have a c section. I was very scared because it was not planned at all but the recovery was wonderful. Everyone tried to scare me out of choosing a c-section saying I would be bed ridden for weeks and would be in incredible pain. But the surgey was quick and painless. I was up and walking the hospital hallways the next day. I was hunched over and walking slowly but moving nonetheless. I took it easy the first week and tried to rest as much as possible - which I think really helped the healing process. By the second week I felt back to normal. I was off the pain meds the same day I left the hospital. I would choose a c section over and over if I could. Based solely on the healing process. There are definite cons though. I couldn't hold my baby right when he was born. I was only able to touch him for a few seconds as they held him close to my face. Then I had to put my arms back down straight as the closed me up. That was a little heart breaking. But u was back in the recovery room within thirty minutes after he was born so I was able to get my skin to skin time and breast feeding shortly after. Hope this helps! Good luck making your decision.
  • Wow sorry for the novel haha
  • Loading the player...
  • I also have only had a c-section and not an episiotomy, but wanted to chime in since you mentioned you still have pain down there. I haven't had pain in my c section incision site since shortly after my baby was born, and then I had some twinges along the incision line with my current second pregnancy, which my OB said could happen with the scar tissue stretching. I had a lot of trouble sitting up for maybe the first week or less, but I was able to climb stairs as soon as I got home and I could hold my baby and all that. I think my only restrictions were sitting up and lying down in bed, and I couldn't stand up from a couch with the baby in my arms, but again, both of those were within the first week. By the time my husband had to go back to work, I was totally good to go, and the incision pain has been gone for a long long time. Good luck in your decision!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much! I have lots to think about now... :)
  • Mama-BearMama-Bear member
    edited January 2014
    I've had an episiotomy and 2 c/s.  I would opt to get a little cut than have a c/s any day.  I'm not sure how big of a cut I had so I don't know how it compared to yours, but I healed faster from my vaginal birth and the pain was less.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I had a csection. And an episiotomy/labial tear. I would take the episiotomy any day. I couldn't get out of my bed unassisted for 3 weeks after my csection. Don't get me wrong, the episiotomy healing hurt, but was nothing in comparison. Plus, csection carry risks for future pregnancies. Also, my vagina was very sore for a few weeks after my csection. Worse so than my vbac. I was sitting on ice packs when dd was 1.5 weeks old, v
  • OP I'm also contemplating the same thing right now. I don't think I can go through another tear like that again. I'm interested to see what others have to say.
  • Thank you so much for weighing in. I know this is a personal question, and I appreciate you all sharing your experiences and advice. My DH is assuring me that since I already had one vaginal birth, that hopefully I won't need another episiotomy... but he's just being loving and trying to ease my worry.

I had to bring a squirt bottle to spray on my crotch as I peed wherever I went for about 8 weeks. Even now, sometimes (and worse now that I'm pregnant again... maybe my body is having phantom pains as my due date gets nearer) I'm having perineal pain here and there. My OBGYN says it's normal.

Lord, good thing we love our kids so much or else we would all have one and be done!

• Your dh makes a good point that I didn't think of. Sil had either a 2nd or 3rd degree tear with her first. She just had her second. She pushed about 3 times and only need a stitch.
  • I only had a CS but the recovery was a piece of cake overall. I felt 80% back to normal by 1 week postpartum and had no long term issues or pain whatsoever. I only speak for myself, but mentally it was a lot easier to deal with a scar on my abdomen than it would have been with all sorts of issues down there. Compared to what I heard from some of my friends that went through serious tears, I would chose another CS any day.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• I had a 3rd degree tear with DS, not because of his head but because he elbowed me on the way out.  My recovery was horrible.  I had terrible pain and delayed healing.  I developed granulation tissue and had to have that cauterized twice (not fun!). 

I was nervous about a vaginal delivery with DD.  My OB said she would understand if I wanted to consider c/s, but she still recommended vaginal delivery (keep in mind, my babies have small heads, so we weren't worried about that).  Turned out DD was breech, so I had a c/s.  The recovery was much quicker and easier.  Less pain, sitting was no problem, no sitz baths or other wound care to worry about. 

There are certainly women who have minimal pain and an easy recovery from a 3rd degree tear, and others who have difficulty/complications from c/s, but personally, I loved my c/s.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I'm still in the midst of my recovery from a c-section so that may be swaying my opinion! But I had a pretty bad tear and episiotomy with my first. It was a while before I felt kinda normal and still 3 years later I still can't completely say things are normal down there! I used my peri bottle, epifoam, witch hazel pads, and dermoplast every time I went to the bathroom for a long time. I just delivered my second baby and this time it was by c-section because my baby wasn't tolerating labor and contractions. I'm on my second day out and I can tell you that i would probably go with another vaginal delivery over a c-section. And so far I haven't really had any complications from my surgery. But while it hurt to get up and walk around after both deliveries, I find I'm much more helpless with a c-section. I was able to move around better with an episiotomy and by the second day in the hospital I was ready to go home. Now I'm thinking I need that extra day to recover and hoping they don't kick me out of here too soon! Plus it really sucks that I can't lift my first son and won't be able to for awhile.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • I had a fourth degree tear with my son that didn't heal 100% correctly. He was 10 lb 7 oz with a gigantic round head. Because of that I was advised by a pelvis floor surgeon and my OB to have a c-section with my second child. I had my daughter 5 months ago by cs and it was night and day in comparison. I was able to move around so much easier post cs. Yes, the first two days might be a little rougher, but long term I recovered much faster. My daughter was born at 37w5d due to pre e symptoms and ended up in the NICU for 16 days. So I was motivated to get out of bed and moving as it was the only way for me to see my baby and I was distracted by her situation. It was the right decision for me to have the cs. I would choose it again in a heartbeat. Even though she was early my little girl was still 9lb 15 oz. so there was potential for her to do some damage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    edited February 2014
    I only had a CS but the recovery was a piece of cake overall. I felt 80% back to normal by 1 week postpartum and had no long term issues or pain whatsoever. I only speak for myself, but mentally it was a lot easier to deal with a scar on my abdomen than it would have been with all sorts of issues down there. Compared to what I heard from some of my friends that went through serious tears, I would chose another CS any day.
    This is me exactly, and i had an unplanned emergency c/s after laboring for 12 hours (active) and pushing for 3.... my c/s was awesome, my scar is barely visible (at 5 months PP I had a bikini wax and my waxer was SHOCKED that it wasn't a "years old" scar), I was walking the next day and getting up on my own the day after that... I took myself off my prescription painkillers after 3 days... felt ready to workout again after 2 weeks, and I had exactly zero issues.  I honestly can't imagine the pain that so many of my vaginal-birth friends have gone through -- and the complications.  

I'll be having a routine c/s with this one as my doc doesn't recommend me for a VBAC (narrow pelvic bones!), and I can't wait!

That said -- I also know plenty of people who have had perfectly normal vaginal births, no issues, a few stitches, and never heard about it again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had the same thing you did. Recovery was the worst pain of my life. It took me 2 months to feel normal again. If we have a 3rd. It's another csection for me.
  • I'm still in the midst of my recovery from a c-section so that may be swaying my opinion! But I had a pretty bad tear and episiotomy with my first. It was a while before I felt kinda normal and still 3 years later I still can't completely say things are normal down there! I used my peri bottle, epifoam, witch hazel pads, and dermoplast every time I went to the bathroom for a long time. I just delivered my second baby and this time it was by c-section because my baby wasn't tolerating labor and contractions. I'm on my second day out and I can tell you that i would probably go with another vaginal delivery over a c-section. And so far I haven't really had any complications from my surgery. But while it hurt to get up and walk around after both deliveries, I find I'm much more helpless with a c-section. I was able to move around better with an episiotomy and by the second day in the hospital I was ready to go home. Now I'm thinking I need that extra day to recover and hoping they don't kick me out of here too soon! Plus it really sucks that I can't lift my first son and won't be able to for awhile.

I'm now 4 weeks out and I've changed my mind. I think the c-section is preferable. My recovery has been a lot better and easier. I feel back to normal already.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • I had a bad tear and also had an episotomy with my last and am scheduled for a c-section due to hip problems in May.  C-section is major surgery to me and I would go for the tear/episotomy again if I could.

The first couple of weeks were rough down there (the peri-bottle and I were in a serious relationship), but other than that the recovery is just so much easier.  I didn't have to worry about a major incision or pain meds or any of that.
  • My first delivery was an emergency c after 6 hours of pushing and 2 days of a fever after having my water break where labor wasn't progressing. That cesarean scared me for the next one. I had an awful scar and the bruising and pain was there for days, plus my crotch was painfully swollen from labor and i had some kind if irritation from an instrument they were using and had to use an antibiotic on it for days. The whole experience was hard. 3 years later I went in for my scheduled cesarean. I was afraid, I felt like a wimp for not trying naturally. It was a breeze!!! She even repaired my scar and removed scar tissue from the first. I was walking and showered that evening and my crotch was fine. It was a shock to me that it could be easy. I was off pain meds when I got home. I'm hoping this third time is easy too.
  • I had an episiotomy with first child, and second was just as big and no tearing or cutting needed. Second births are usually easier. Good luck!!
  • RDK24RDK24 member
    I've only had a c-section and personally, I found the recovery to be very difficult. I was in very intense pain from the moment I had to get up out of the bed and move around and didn't feel normal again until about 2 months postpartum--there was always some degree of pain. I also had healing/infection issues with my incision.

That said, some of these stories about tearing sound terrible! I think I'd opt for a RCS if I have a second baby because I wouldn't want to try for a VBAC, get to pushing, and then have to have a c-section anyway. 
  • I've only had a c section and it was so easy! I took the pain meds as prescribed & it was a breeze.
    BabyFetus Ticker imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My first was a vaginal delivery and I had an episiotomy with him. Recovery was awful. I has so much trouble getting up and then sitting with him while nursing because of the pain. I'm scheduled for a c-section 5/15, so I'll see after that which one I would vote for :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"