2nd Trimester
Options

23 weeks, no weight gain

I'm 23 weeks (+3 days), I've just weighed myself and its only showing 1lb weight gain (this is after I've just eaten dinner). When I googled everyone is saying by this time they have put on a conciderable amount of weight.
My bump has come up lovely in the last 3 weeks, and I'm feeling baby move, and at my last scan they said he was growing fine, so why am I not putting on any weight?

I've been very sick since week 9, could it be to do with that? Is my sickness stopping me putting of weight?
I thought I would have gained a considerable amount of weight by now since I look heavier with my bump, so I'm confused.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 23 weeks, no weight gain

• Options
    I was over weight to begin with, I've only been weighed once by the midwives and that was when I was about 9 weeks pregnant at my first antenatal appointment.
    I've only weighed myself a couple of times during my pregnancy, at around 19 weeks, then again today.

I'll mention it next time I see the midwife, but every time I've been they've said baby is doing well so I'm not too concerned about him, I'm just confused.
    The only thing I can think is that because I've been sick everyday its keeping my weight the same as before.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Are you comparing over time on your own scale or versus your doctor's scale? I would only go by the weights taken at the doctors office (or at least using the same scale).
    I had that same issue weighing myself at the gym, but at my doctors office my weight showed normal changes.
    Married 08.11.2012
    BFP 12.20.2013
    EDD 09.02.2014

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

#bragplaint

Not at all! I'm concerned there could be something wrong since its not normal to get to 23 weeks with no weight gain!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    alisonmoosealisonmoose member
    edited March 2014
    flossdds said:

Are you comparing over time on your own scale or versus your doctor's scale? I would only go by the weights taken at the doctors office (or at least using the same scale).
    I had that same issue weighing myself at the gym, but at my doctors office my weight showed normal changes.

Yes, I'm just weighing myself on the Wii fit board. I assumed my weight would be taken at every appointment but it hasn't been mentioned since the first one which is why I've taken to keeping an eye on my weight at home to track any changes
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 21 weeks pregnant and haven't gained any weight yet either. My doctor has never been concerned. 
  • Options
    I side eye you using the Wii GAME to take reliable weight!!!! Thats insanity on a new level!
    Stop weighing your self!!!! If your MW wants to let her, if you were over weight to begin with then its normal to gain only 10lbs the whole time!
    Relax and stop playing Wii!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    We only have a wii fit for checking our weight, we don't have any scales. And I'm not obsessing, I've only weighed myself twice during my pregnancy, I just expected by now that I would have gained weight that's all.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'd worry, too, if I hadn't put on any weight by 23 weeks.  But I'm a natural worrywart.  I've put on more than I'm comfortable with (especially after losing all this weight 2 years ago from hard work), but I've decided as long as my doctor is okay with where I am, then I should be, too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lots of people overweight to start don't gain that much.

A lot of times you replace a bad diet with a good one so your losing junk diet weight but gaining healthy weight which you don't notice bc the number stays the same. It actually equals out.

Talk to your midwife...
  • Options
    I was overweight pre-pregnancy. I lost 4 pounds by 20 weeks. At 26 weeks I was up 4 from my pre-pregnancy weight, at 31 weeks I was up by 12 pounds total and last week (33 weeks) I was down 2 pounds to 10 pounds total gain. Weight gain is very individual and as long as your healthcare providers are happy then you are doing fine.
  • Options
    So would you believe an Internet forum over your midwives? If not, why ask a bunch of strangers?

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    It's absolutely possible to lose or not gain weight if you are overweight to begin with and change your eating habits with pregnancy. I'm not talking diets here- just basic changes like trying to eat rounded meals, dealing with morning sickness, and dealing with second/third trimester appetite loss. The poster commenting about a brag/complaint is exactly why you don't see a lot of posts about it though. My doc is thrilled with my weight this pregnancy. I lost 20lbs in the first trimester, and have stayed the same or lost around 5more (depending on when you check) in the second and third trimesters. Baby is growing just fine and if every thing continues as it has been- I will probably come out of delivery already well below my pre pregnancy weight. Which, frankly, is a healthier start for me and baby. Pregnancy has been a truly awesome diet for me- I'm not watching my calories, I'm eating anything I feel the craving to eat, and every appointment the scale is kind. The other side effects of pregnancy for me kinda suck (see: bed rest for the last 10 weeks) but weight wise, there's nothing wrong with losing a bit or staying the same if you're overweight to begin with and baby is growing appropriately.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Options
    I had a zero gain until around week 21. Now at 28 I'm up 12. I'm over weight

My sister lost 20pounds during her pregnancy. She was incredibly sick and also over weight

A friend of mine gained 65. Normal weight, active through her pregnancy.

These were all normal changes based on our body types, our pregnancies, our health, and our doctors were totally cool with it. Ask your doctor to weigh you, and discuss healthy gaining/maintaining etc. If you are over weight than maintaining until the end is fairly ideal so you don't end up gaining far too much.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    i am 22 weeks today and have actually lost weight, my MF was not fussed about it as i was carrying extra weight before i got pregnant, as long as you are healthy and baby is happy there should be no worries.  in my first pregnancy i lost 3 st and then they started to worry.

everyone is diferent hun.
  • Options
    Thank you, to those who actually gave helpful replies and reassurance.
    My midwife and docs don't know that I haven't put on weight, because as I said, I was only weight once at 9 weeks and I haven't seen them since I last weighed myself.

At the start of my pregnancy I was concerned I would put on loads more weight, so I'm glad that so far that hasn't happened, I just wanted reassurance that it was normal in some cases not to have gained by week 23, which I have got now, so thank you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    OP it is an individual thing, but you should probably be sure to have them weigh you at your next appointment. This week I was only up 1.5 pounds and my OB said that it is okay for now, but that she would like to see 5-6 pounds by my next appointment in 4 weeks....but she also said that I might be a person who does not gain that much. The only thing that they are going to have me do is count my calories to make sure that I am eating enough in a day. 

You are probably fine. If you have been sick it can make a huge difference and pregnancy for some women puts their metabolism into high gear. Still, for piece of mind, I would just ask at your next appointment. 
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    #bragplaint
    Not at all! I'm concerned there could be something wrong since its not normal to get to 23 weeks with no weight gain!
    If you've been sick and loosing weight but then gaining weight through baby stuff it could equal out.

Everybody's "normal" pregnancy is different.  It took me to 20 weeks to get any weight gain and then it was 7lbs in a month!  Freaked me out a bit, but since neither the resident nor my doctor (my family doctor is a teaching practice) were worried about it because baby is just fine (large for gestational age but that's quite normal in my family and it's hovering at about 1 week large consistently) and all my vitals are within normal, then I'm not worried either.

That being said quit obsessing about the scale - women do it anyway (pregnant or not) and they shouldn't.   

#bragplaint
    If you've been sick and loosing weight but then gaining weight through baby stuff it could equal out.

Everybody's "normal" pregnancy is different.  It took me to 20 weeks to get any weight gain and then it was 7lbs in a month!  Freaked me out a bit, but since neither the resident nor my doctor (my family doctor is a teaching practice) were worried about it because baby is just fine (large for gestational age but that's quite normal in my family and it's hovering at about 1 week large consistently) and all my vitals are within normal, then I'm not worried either.

That being said quit obsessing about the scale - women do it anyway (pregnant or not) and they shouldn't.   

This.  I had minimal weight gain at my 20 week appointment (2 lbs).  At my 24 week, I found had gained 6 pounds in the last month for a total of 8 lbs.  I wasn't overweight to start with. Everyone gains differently in their pregnancies.  If your doctor isn't terribly concerned, then you shouldn't be, either, especially considering you started out overweight.

• Options
    nolagal79nolagal79 member
    edited March 2014
    Yea, not really a good idea to post something like this, unless you really have a need to worry. As in, your doctor is worried about your lack of weight gain for one reason or another.

Every pregnancy is different, every weight gain is different.

ETA - I just re-read though the responses. Did I read correctly that you saw your doctor/midwife at 9 weeks and you're now 23 weeks and haven't seen them since 9weeks? That strikes me as odd.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I haven't really gained much (20W) and I attribute it to eating healthier and not drinking any alcohol. :-P

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• Options
    My midwife told me not to worry about not gaining wait until third trimester.  At that point, she would like to see a 10-20 pound weight gain maximum.  I've started this pregnancy a little overweight and have made sure I am eating a well balanced diet. I"m 22 weeks and eating heatlhy.  Whatever happens on the scale as I move forward happens because I'm eating right/ exercising, the rest should be just growing baby.  Definitely touch base with your doctor and get their insight if you are worried. 
  • Options
    ScottwswifeScottwswife member
    edited March 2014
    It's absolutely possible to lose or not gain weight if you are overweight to begin with and change your eating habits with pregnancy. I'm not talking diets here- just basic changes like trying to eat rounded meals, dealing with morning sickness, and dealing with second/third trimester appetite loss. The poster commenting about a brag/complaint is exactly why you don't see a lot of posts about it though. My doc is thrilled with my weight this pregnancy. I lost 20lbs in the first trimester, and have stayed the same or lost around 5more (depending on when you check) in the second and third trimesters. Baby is growing just fine and if every thing continues as it has been- I will probably come out of delivery already well below my pre pregnancy weight. Which, frankly, is a healthier start for me and baby. Pregnancy has been a truly awesome diet for me- I'm not watching my calories, I'm eating anything I feel the craving to eat, and every appointment the scale is kind. The other side effects of pregnancy for me kinda suck (see: bed rest for the last 10 weeks) but weight wise, there's nothing wrong with losing a bit or staying the same if you're overweight to begin with and baby is growing appropriately.

This is me almost exactly. I lost almost 20 pounds, and am still more than 10 lbs below my pre pregnancy weight. I was about 60 pounds overweight to begin with. My doctor was not concerned, more intrigued with what I've been doing differently. I make much better food choices, 86'ed the diet soda, and eat smaller portions now.
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, old iPads are terrible at formatting.
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I can't believe how rude some people are on this board, for no reason.  If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

I wanted to respond to reassure you not to worry,  It sounds like your midwife isn't concerned either.  I'm almost 18 weeks and I lost almost 10lbs the first two months, but I wasn't sick much at all.  I have gained about 5lbs of that back but held steady since then.  My Dr isn't concerned because the baby is healthy. 

Good luck to you and your baby!
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    If your doctor isn't worried neither should you. I only gained 9 pounds my entire pregnancy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    FIL saw my bump and said the oh so lovely, 'you're getting bigger' which you know you just love, but when i told him i had only gained 3 lbs total he couldn't believe it. your body does crazy things when pregnant because i look like i've gained about 10 in the stomach area at least.
  • Options

trisholio said:
    I can't believe how rude some people are on this board, for no reason.  If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

I wanted to respond to reassure you not to worry,  It sounds like your midwife isn't concerned either.  I'm almost 18 weeks and I lost almost 10lbs the first two months, but I wasn't sick much at all.  I have gained about 5lbs of that back but held steady since then.  My Dr isn't concerned because the baby is healthy. 

Good luck to you and your baby!
    And this is why I stick to other sites and forums.  The women on here are immature and rude.  Seriously, why be rude and tear one another down?  
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    trisholio said:

And this is why I stick to other sites and forums.  The women on here are immature and rude.  Seriously, why be rude and tear one another down?  

Dude, calm down. This site has a good amount of snarky humor. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to stay. White-Knighting is obnoxious. We are all adults here. OP is worrying about something that a) it's only so much in her control & b) if the doctor is concerned about they will say something.

Weight gain is individual & worrying about it (much like baby milestones) is counter-productive. It's just serving to stress her out. Both of you need to calm the fuck down.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I didn't start gaining weight until around 24 weeks. At 34, I'm now up 13lbs. I gained 5 of those in the past 2 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"