September 2014 Moms

Just found out I'm a spinal muscular atrophy carrier..

My doctor's office called me today to tell me one of my tests came back with me being a carrier for spinal muscular atrophy. Now they want my husband to come in ASAP to see if he's a carrier. Hopefully, he won't be and it's recessive so then we can stop there. If he is a carrier, the baby has a 25% of getting it so they'll send me for additional testing. 

I had never even heard of this! I've been doing some reading since I got the call and it seems terrible with those afflicted not living past the age of 2 in most instances. I'm trying to think logically. It's very rare so the odds my hubs is a carrier is small but I can't help freaking out. The worst part is we might not get the results back for two weeks. Then, if he is a carrier, it would take longer to get the additional testing done and get those results back. 

We're still waiting for the panorama (?) screening results I also had done last week (tri-13, 18, etc). I thought next week would be incredibly happy. I imagined it would all be negative and we'd also get to find out the gender when we got those results. Now the next few weeks will be a little more like purgatory until we know one way or the other. Sigh..

Anyway, just needed to vent. Thanks for listening. 

Re: Just found out I'm a spinal muscular atrophy carrier..

• FX that your DH won't be a carrier and you will have no worries!

• Hope that you guys get great news and find out hes not a carrier so you dont have to worry

DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Loading the player...
  • I'll keep you in my thoughts & hope he isn't a carrier.

imageimage

• FX that your DH is clear. SMA is terrible. My friend's grandson died of it a few years ago, but treatments are getting better and kids are living longer. Chances are he's not a carrier, but T&Ps anyways.
  • Thank you all for the warm wishes. I'll keep you posted.
  • Keeping your family in my thoughts. Hopefully your husband is not a carrier and all of this can get put behind you.
    View Full Size Image
  • Thoughts and prayers.  Hopefully you will be in the clear.
  • FX for you.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Only 1 in 40 are carriers so hopefully he isn't. I have a friend whose daughter has SMA, and no lie it's pretty bad, but she is almost 4 and still making it. Prayers your DH isn't a carrier and I am so glad more places are testing for this!!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I hope your husband isn't a carrier and you can rest easy.  Since it's so rare, the odds are in your favor, but I know that doesn't do much to ease your mind until you know for sure.  Good luck!
  • I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. FX that your husband isn't a carrier & you can breathe easier.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • We are in a similar surprising position. I got the call this week that I am a carrier for cystic fibrosis. CF is not nearly as bad of an outlook as SMA though, so I'm sorry you are having to deal with that. I'm keeping my hopes up because like you said, it's very low probability that my husband is a carrier as well, and even if he is, there's still a 75% chance the baby will be fine. Good luck to you, thinking of you and hoping all goes well with your husband's testing.
    S14 Remembers our Angel Babies

S14 September Siggy - Show to binge-watch when the baby comes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I found out a couple days ago that I also am a carrier... its so scary but waiting for my husbands blood work results. Good luck to the both of us
  • FX your hubby is not a carrier. Boo, waiting for test results is the worst part!
  • T&P while you wait to find out.
    BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • Really hopeful for you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    DS1| 4.26.09 :: MMC| 7.11 :: DS2| 6.26.11 :: DD| 4.12.13 LO#4| EDD 9.19.14
  • Sending good thoughts and positive energy your way. I'm so sorry you both have to deal with this OP and x0guentherx0.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS1: 8/26/09    |    DS2: 11/1/11

May Siggy, Favorite Onscreen Mom - Sophia, Golden Girls                                                                          
    image image
  • Sending thoughts and prayers that you get good news!!
  • My doctor's office called me today to tell me one of my tests came back with me being a carrier for spinal muscular atrophy. Now they want my husband to come in ASAP to see if he's a carrier. Hopefully, he won't be and it's recessive so then we can stop there. If he is a carrier, the baby has a 25% of getting it so they'll send me for additional testing. 

I had never even heard of this! I've been doing some reading since I got the call and it seems terrible with those afflicted not living past the age of 2 in most instances. I'm trying to think logically. It's very rare so the odds my hubs is a carrier is small but I can't help freaking out. The worst part is we might not get the results back for two weeks. Then, if he is a carrier, it would take longer to get the additional testing done and get those results back. 

We're still waiting for the panorama (?) screening results I also had done last week (tri-13, 18, etc). I thought next week would be incredibly happy. I imagined it would all be negative and we'd also get to find out the gender when we got those results. Now the next few weeks will be a little more like purgatory until we know one way or the other. Sigh..

Anyway, just needed to vent. Thanks for listening. 
    Just wanted to touch base with you bc unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you. I found out last week I was a carrier of SMA too. No family history of it at all. It was completely unexpected news to me. I cried so much when I called my husband at work to tell him. Of course, he told me to calm down and that our baby will be fine. I've been freaking out ever since, doing tons of research. The one thing that is bothering me a ton is that my sister-in-law told me her husband, which is my husband's brother...that when she was pregnant with her first, she also received the news that she was a carrier. Of course, my brother-in-law got tested immediately and he turned out to be negative thankfully. But, supposedly that still does not rule out my husband's chance of being a carrier. I have tried to research what his chance of being positive is, even though his brother is negative...but I can't find anything. So, I have been even more frustrated. My husband went in for the blood work on Monday morning, and they told him results would be in by the end of this week, so we shall see. The waiting is terrible! I know! I am with you, and truly hope that your husband is not a carrier. Keep me posted:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am also freaking out I got a call last night that I am a "possible silent carrier" we have been hoping that I wasn't considering my husbands sister is also a silent carrier. Now we are both going for more testing. I understand what you're go
  • -Ing through I cried all night - hoping we both can put this behind us. I keep reminding myself that it's in Gods hands but it's so hard to stay calm.
  • Hopefully we all find out our husbands aren't carriers soon and then we can relax. Keep each other posted! It's easier sometimes for me to talk about it (or the pregnancy in general) with people who are going through the same thing. 
  • Any news?? Thinking of you - I just got the call that we are both carriers - I had the cvs test Friday - I am going crazy waiting and it's only been one day
  • Miasim12Miasim12 member
    edited March 2014
    Best of luck
  • Miasim12Miasim12 member
    edited March 2014
    Best of luck
  • I too just found out I am a carrier of it :-(. Now to wait to see if my husband has it. Thinking of you.
  • colleenm18colleenm18 member
    edited April 2014
    I found out I was a carrier and then a week later found out a was pregnant so it was pretty stressful and then one day I was like OK STOP reading about it online because that is just making things works.  Thankfully my husband had blood work done and was not a carrier so nothing for us to worry about.

I was like most of you as well and had no family history of it either.  Both of my sisters have children already and neither of them are carriers and when I told them they didnt even know what I was talking about.  FX that everything turned out well with you and your husbands results.
    imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
    Me (28) DH (29), Married 7.20.12
    TTC since April 2013

BFP 1.6.14
    EDD: 9.16.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"