1st Trimester

Food Aversions

I am having a horrible time with this. I am never hungry anymore, and I am forcing myself to eat at this point. Does anyone have the same problem? I drink a ton of water during the day (when it dosen't make me feel sick.) I was just wondering what ways you were able to eat and feel hungry for something.

Thanks!

Re: Food Aversions

• mb314mb314 member
    I had more food aversions with my first pregnancy than with this one.  With DS, I went through a period of 2 weeks where basically the only thing I ate was goldfish crackers.  Super healthy. 

Is anything appetizing at all?  If you eat some saltines or something like that, do you feel better?  For me that often helps - eating a little something salty/carby like crackers.  And then I'm often able to stomach more healthy foods. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Not many foods ever sound good to me. I just put on my big girl panties and force myself to eat because it is good for me and my baby. And when I have food in my stomach I feel better.

• Loading the player...
  • I dont mind the saltine crackers. I am just not hungry at all. I have to remind myself to eat during the day. I have tried to get excited about food I loved before, like making a pizza, but we made one and I didn't touch it. I was thinking maybe chicken broth I can drink? Or smoothies from smoothie king or a chain like that?
  • Carby things like bagels and gold fish crackers are pretty safe for me. My aversions are more particular, like beef. I don't feel not hungry. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I feel the same way as you floridamom84.  I'm just not hungry...or I'll be hungry with no appetite, in which a small (forced) snack makes me feel better.  I know it's recommended to have small meals throughout the day rather than the 2-3 meals a day I was accustomed to, but it's hard for me to do it.  I hear a lack of appetite is normal in the early stages though so I try not to worry too much.  I've been given the advice when I reached out to others in this forum not to worry as the baby will take whatever nutrients it needs from what I do/can eat and my appetite will eventually open up.  Also, when I do sit down for a meal, I certainly cannot eat as big of a portion as I used to before.  I just eat what/when I can and make the best choices I can when I do eat.  I drink a lot of water during the day too and I'm sure this contributes to making me feel like I'm not hungry.  The best advice I can give from my own experience is to just keep lots of healthy snacks/mini meals handy to eat when you do have a small inkling of an appetite.  A little bit here and there adds up in the long run.  One other thing that is helping me...I drink hot water with lemon in it often, especially first thing in the morning when my stomach's empty (I squeeze lemon juice in the hot water and then put a couple of slices in the cup).  I didn't think I'd like it but I've grown to crave it.  I feel it calms my stomach and helps with my appetite.  Hope this helps!

• Isn't pregnancy magical? My normal not pregnant self loves food. Seriously, I read cookbooks in bed and am addicted to the food section on Pinterest. Well the last few weeks I can't even open Pinterest because it makes me gag! Don't even talk about cooking- I haven't stepped foot in the kitchen.

I have found most food to be fairly unappealing to me right now, but like some of the others have said, small meals helps and eating frequently helps. I have been eating smoothies (breakfast), bagels and cream cheese, english muffins with peanut butter, grapefruit, soup, crackers and cheese...and a handful of other things. I think you really just have to go to the grocery store and figure out what appeals to you. Be open to things you wouldn't normally buy. One week I bought pizza buns- I have never once in my life bought pizza buns but they were the only thing that appealed. When I got pregnant (and before) I thought I would be the healthiest pregnant person on the planet. I already ate healthfully, but I would really kick it into high gear and eat perfectly. Well, that definitely hasn't been the case since at this point I'm just eating what doesn't make me gag.

Good luck- we're all in this together.

• I'm not hungry either.  I loved food up until recently.  Now I look at it with distain.  Used to love french fries, I ate 5 the other day and was done.  It's not even that I'm nauseous I'm just not hungry.
  • That's me too, ZoeyH14!  And we're EXACTLY the same number of weeks/days along lol!!!

• That's me too, ZoeyH14! And we're EXACTLY the same number of weeks/days along lol!!!
  • Yeah,I'm having trouble eating enough most days too.  But it has been getting better the past few weeks-just depends on the day.  I have to eat lots of small meals
  • I wasn't able to eat. I lost around 20 pounds in a month or so, but I couldn't help it. I just tried to make sure that I stayed as hydrated as I was able, and didn't sweat it. I knew baby wasn't going to starve, and neither was I. Once I was able to eat again, I made up for lost time. No worries. Just do what you're able to do, and if you have any concerns, give your doc a call. They will be able to address anything that comes up.
  • I'm mildly queasy ALL the time, but I get hungry, try to eat, and I'm full immediately. I just can't eat a real meal, and I'm worried about the weight loss. Is it okay to lose 9 lbs in a week? I'm chugging water like there's no tomorrow, and juicing as much as I can force down, too.
  • I'm definitely hungry but having trouble consuming meats, especially chicken. I mostly want carbs but I can also eat fruits and veggies like they're going out of style. I worry about a lack of protein so I had a protein shake this morning and it went down pretty good.
  • I couldn't eat hamburger through most of my first pregnancy. This time I'm just never hungry. I have actually forgotten to eat a few times. I'm not nauseous just never hungry
  • I feel like any food I've been eating on a regular basis makes me feel sick. If I can get the food in my mouth I am fine, but the process leading up to that makes me feel queasy.

All of a sudden the smell of my hand soap makes me sick, all dark leafy greens, cucumber, nuts, my protein shake, and I don't know how I'm gonna get my vitamins down today.

I bought lots of ginger and mint things yesterday and keeping those flavors in my mouth helps temporarily, but I can't sit around eating breath mints all day.

This is my second pregnancy. My nausea is worse this time.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • MrsAdventureMrsAdventure member
    edited April 2014

Isn't pregnancy magical? My normal not pregnant self loves food. Seriously, I read cookbooks in bed and am addicted to the food section on Pinterest. Well the last few weeks I can't even open Pinterest because it makes me gag! Don't even talk about cooking- I haven't stepped foot in the kitchen.

I have found most food to be fairly unappealing to me right now, but like some of the others have said, small meals helps and eating frequently helps. I have been eating smoothies (breakfast), bagels and cream cheese, english muffins with peanut butter, grapefruit, soup, crackers and cheese...and a handful of other things. I think you really just have to go to the grocery store and figure out what appeals to you. Be open to things you wouldn't normally buy. One week I bought pizza buns- I have never once in my life bought pizza buns but they were the only thing that appealed. When I got pregnant (and before) I thought I would be the healthiest pregnant person on the planet. I already ate healthfully, but I would really kick it into high gear and eat perfectly. Well, that definitely hasn't been the case since at this point I'm just eating what doesn't make me gag.

Good luck- we're all in this together.

So, so glad to know I am not the only one who does this!!!

Water has had me feeling less that stellar lately too. I feel like it hits my stomach and just sits there in a puddle waiting to come back up. Very frustrating. As for what works: carbs and fruit. Onion bagels and cream cheese are the only thing I can keep down in the morning. I used to eat a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats every morning until about a week and a half ago. It just wouldn't stay down. I went to the grocery store and (as PP suggested) walked around until I found something that didn't have me turning green. Bagels, watermelon and skim milk are the three things that I can consistently keep down. But the watermelon has to be cold. Gold fish crackers are another thing that usually go easy on me.

I know we're all worried to some degree about eating healthy, but at a certain point you've just gotta say eff it and eat what sounds like it won't have you hugging the toilet. I used to love veggies, now just the idea of most of them has me ill. There isn't much I can do about it except wait it out and hope it goes away soon.

Edit: because apparently I am challenged when it comes to bolding text
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm 7 weeks pregnant and hearing or thinking about food makes me feel sick, although I've found cinnamon toast helps. 
    It is really hard when my coworkers share recipes/talk about food, especially since most of it would sound awful if I wasn't already nauseous! 
  • I feel like I have the most strong aversions to food I once loved! Like chicken and beef! One of my favorite casseroles went untouched in the fridge until it went bad! I've just had to explore new options. For instance, I now love JELLO! And my DH is the king if Jello. (Made me root beer float jello two days ago!) and lots of fruity and light tasting things!

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFruit Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"