August 2014 Moms
Options

Opinions on car seats

I'm a STM and trying to decide on a carseat. With DS we had an Eddie Bauer car seat. It was nice, but very heavy. I'm pretty short so it was a pain to carry. Right now I'm considering the Chicco Keyfit 30 or the Graco Snugride click connect 35. The reviews for the Chicco are great, many have expressed how heavy it is. The Graco has mixed reviews, but it's lighter. Anyone have personal experience with either? Thank you so much.

Re: Opinions on car seats

• Options
    I have a Graco Snugride 35 that I used with DD and it is not expired so I'll use it with this baby too.  For infant seats I definitely prefer Graco... some of it is because it's what I'm comfortable with, some is because I genuinely do like it a lot.  Not too heavy, compatible with a lot of strollers, etc...

For Toddler seats I prefer Evenflo... if I were going to ever get a seat that was designed to be either rear or forward facing and go all the way from infant to toddler, I'd get that.  But I don't like those seats in general because they're too big/bulky/heavy

• Options
    I actually have a question about the Graco snugride click connect... Does anyone know if those will fit in a Chevy Cruze? We are going Saturday to test some out at BRU

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did not use either of those with our first two (we got the BabyTrend Flex Lock)....it is heavier but not horrible and I LOVE the no threading for harness adjustment. You just turn a knob on the back of the carseat. We did not like the lack of padding in the Graco but it is light. We loved the Chico key fit and a friend had it and loved it but it was more than we wanted to spend.
    Praying this little one sticks!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Why the snugride 35 and not the smaller, lighter Graco that goes to 22 lbs? If I were to get another infant seat, I would get the smaller snugride, I think (we have the chicco keyfit30 and it's nice, but heavy). Mainly because the Snugride 22 is lighter and DD outgrew ours by height before she reached 20 lbs. But also Graco has the greatest stroller compatibility. Do you know you have heavy babies that cross the 22 lb mark before outgrowing the infant seat by height? Just a thought to help save your arms.
  • Options
    Momnaof2Momnaof2 member
    edited April 2014
    shevaCC said:

Why the snugride 35 and not the smaller, lighter Graco that goes to 22 lbs? If I were to get another infant seat, I would get the smaller snugride, I think (we have the chicco keyfit30 and it's nice, but heavy). Mainly because the Snugride 22 is lighter and DD outgrew ours by height before she reached 20 lbs. But also Graco has the greatest stroller compatibility. Do you know you have heavy babies that cross the 22 lb mark before outgrowing the infant seat by height? Just a thought to help save your arms.

I didn't know there was a lighter Graco. I don't know much about all the different carseats. It's a bit overwhelming with all the different options.
  • Options
    We will be reusing our chicco keyfit 30 for this baby. It is super easy to use, install, etc, but it is heavy.
  • Options

Yeah, we have the Chicco Keyfit 30 and it is heavy.  We don't carry it around much though, we do have a snap and go stroller it pops into.  We got it originally in 2010 because it was rated highest for safety. 

We also have a Evenflo convertible (which DS2 is currently using). 

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    We have the Britax B-Safe. DD is 11.5 months, 18lbs and I'm still able to carry her in it without a problem.
  • Options
    After much research, we chose the Britax B Safe also. I heard all great things about it, except many reviews said it was heavy. We went to BRU to check it out in person before making a final decision and talked with the registry consultant. It is 1 lb. heavier than the lightest carseat out there (which I believe was one of the Graco brands). All in all, I don't think 1 lb. is going to make much of a difference, especially once baby is in seat. 

Baby Bargains was a great help. It can be so overwhelming just walking into a store and picking one, as there are so many!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    I loved our Keyfit and I was usually either carrying it a short distance, putting it in the stroller or babywearing so the weight wasn't ever an issue to me.  The easy install and ease of use were great for us. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I have the graco snug ride. Light weight, fits fine in my G6
  • Options
    I bought baby bargains and am going exactly between these 3: snugride, britax, and keyfit. We will be going to bru and bbb this weekend to check them out in person. Thanks for all the feedback ladies!
  • Options
    We mostly used a Snap & Go with our Keyfit 30.  I found that the seat was more awkward to carry than too heavy, but I'm very short so that may have had something to do with it.

• Options
    I have the Britax B-Safe as well.  Its one of the best-rated on Consumer Reports, and honestly, they are all heavy--that's just the way it is.

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"