Potty Training

Frequent peeing when just starting-bladder capacity?

I just started PT my 22-month old daughter. I wish I could have done the 3 day method for real, but it ended up being two half days and one full day (yesterday).
Yesterday she made it to the potty about 75% of the time, including poop (whoo!)
My question is... she seems to go decent stretches without needing to go (1-2 hours sometimes) then will pee small amounts four times in a 20 minute span. Is this normal? Is it something that will get better on its own or is there something I can do to help her?
I am having a hard time getting her to sit on the potty for any length of time (unless I turn PBS kids on, which I don't want to have to resort to...) because she is high-energy and SO excited to immediately dump out anything that ends up in the potty chair.
TIA for any thoughts or experiences!
baby girl  5.12

Re: Frequent peeing when just starting-bladder capacity?

• Do you write down her schedule? That may help you understand. My 15 month old usually holds it for 1 1/2 -2 hours. However in the morning she wakes up dry & goes a ton then will pee at least twice in the first hour before settling into her pattern. Then after dinner I notice she'll go every hour until bedtime. At first I thought it was odd but when looking at the time of day & what happens either before or after it made sense. I will say the first 2 days we started she took herself like every hour but I think it was from the excitement of her new found independence. Secondly, do you keep the potty in the bathroom? I ask because you mentioned tv- maybe that's a distraction. When I PT my kids I kept the potty in the bathroom and they couldn't play on the potty- toys were placed on the sink until their business was done.

I really wouldn't stress too much just give her some time, learning to hold it longer is part of the process.
  • Normal. When I first started training DD, I wanted to go back to diapers because it seemed like all we did all day was sit on the freaking potty (and I had a baby).

I think it takes them awhile to figure out how to empty their bladder fully. Within a few weeks we were 1-2 hours and now she goes forever at 3.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the replies! I do have the potty in the family room where we spend most of our time. I don't feel like she'd make it if I put it in the bathroom at this point (we have an old house w one bathroom and it's not close) but I will move it in there as she gets better. I do like the idea of making a schedule, I think that would be helpful. @dashofreality thanks for giving me hope haha. Tonight she peed 7 times in 90 minutes. She took herself to the potty and made it each time (yeah!) but peed maybe a tablespoon of pee each time.
    baby girl  5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"