C-sections
Options

C- Section - Postpartum Hypertension

I had a c section after a failed induction when I was one week overdue, about 2 weeks ago, the day I was supposed to be discharged my blood pressure was elevated and ended up resulting in 5 more day in the hospital (in the end the length of stay was totally unnecessary but my OB was on vacation and my care was mismanaged as a result) It's now controlled through bp meds and I'm getting low readings so I imagine i'll be weaned off soon. They said I had a very very mild case of postpartum pre e. 

My OB didn't hesitate to ask when we're trying for our next LO,  she said she'll just deliver me earlier and is unconcerned about me getting pregnant again. They said my pelvis is very small and that might be why LO didn't drop at all so I'm guessing it would be another section. Due to my age, we'd have to try relatively soon. I've had alot of unsolicited opinions that we should just leave well enough alone and not risk another pregnancy. Any c sectio STM with postpartum hypertension that didn't have it in the next pregnancy? i'm in the middle of it right now and am not sure I want to go through all this again. 

nate and teddy
Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C- Section - Postpartum Hypertension

• Options
    Kie310Kie310 member

With my first pregnancy I ended up with pre-e and was induced at 37 weeks as a result.

With my second pregnancy I didn't get pre-e at all - until the day I gave birth. I too had PP pre-e & was on meds for 6 weeks PP (slowly weaned off)... I went to my OB weekly and by 6 weeks PP was fine. (I too had a longer hospital stay.

I already talked to my doc about a 3rd. He said anything could happen. I was being watch very carefully with my 2nd because of all my issues with my 1st pregnancy & nothing could have stopped the PP pre-e. If and when I get pregnant again I will be closely monitored again, and he said whatever happens happens. My chances of no BP/Pre-e issues at all are just as likely as seeing the issues again.

While being in the hospital longer than I wanted to be sucked, it wasn't a big deal over all. Being on the meds was just another pill to take with all the other ones and I personally never felt the side effects of the high BP. My numbers got so high at some point they couldn't believe I could just get up and move around with no issues.

I figure if I could deal with the pre-e twice, another time should be fine. But I don't have anyone telling me not to either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am still dealing with my pre-e 5 weeks after delivery.  My pressures right now are being managed,, but in no way good.  We're trying to now determine if I'll ever go back to 'normal' since every doctor expected me to be weaned off meds by this point and I'm nowhere close.

i delivered at 34 weeks due to sudden onset pre-e.   I have talked now with 3 docs at my OB practice about what it means for baby #2... All have said extra monitoring, likely a baby aspirin regimen, and potentially preventative BP meds if I don't need them daily going forward.  There have been no suggestions whatsoever about not having another child due to this recent pregnancies complications.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My story sounds much like yours, except my doc let me go home at five days. I'm still on the meds, and they think with my family history I'll never come off them. I'm about 8 years older than the rest of the family started on meds.

So far nobody seems concerned about us ttc again, though I know if any of the docs I see think it is they won't hesitate to mention it. I agree with a pp though that they're the professional and their opinion is most valuable because everything else is up to chance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just delivered my second baby at 34 weeks last week. I had hypertension in both pregnancies. I developed pre-e at the end of first pregnancy. It took me about 6 weeks to get off of blood pressure medicine. I'm at the beginning of the experience with baby 2 so I'm not sure how it will go. We decided not to try for another baby. Our decision has more to do with our age and how difficult it is for us to get pregnant than dr's opinion on safety of another pregnancy. If I was younger I might try it. I would listen to your dr and listen to your body. It is a hard decision. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"