Attachment Parenting

Cosleeping and 4 month wakeful question

I can't remember if I introed here before or not, but I lurk and have a 5 month old little one and cosleep and EBF.

We are I think going through the 4 month wakeful, and LO is waking up very frequently - sometimes every 45 minutes. He seems hungry every time so I feed him, but I'm exhausted. Any ideas on how to get through this? I really don't want to transition into a different sleeping arrangement, but I am struggling on so little sleep. Thank you in advance for any help!

Re: Cosleeping and 4 month wakeful question

• It could be a growth spurt too, or perhaps he's about to hit a developmental milestone...or maybe he's teething.

Can you sleep while he nurses? At that age, I spent a lot of time just sleeping with DS latched. It gave me more sleep. :P Can you also nap during the day when he is asleep? I would sacrifice any and all housework for the purpose of getting some extra sleep in.

He's so young that it really isn't advisable to not feed him when he wakes, even if it seems super frequent. It's really true that they need the milk they wake for at this stage, and these phases usually pass fairly quickly.
    imageimage
  • @Emerald27‌ I've tried to sleep while he nurses but I'm not very good at it.
    I always used to sleep during the day when he slept, but lately it's very short periods of time...I'm not sure why.

I absolutely will feed him if he wants to eat when he wakes up, he seems truly hungry...so maybe it is a growth spurt.

I'm just exhausted, but as you said, this will pass! Thank you for your suggestions!
  • Loading the player...
  • Another thing that may help would be to see if DH could spend some time with DS in the evening a few days a week to give you a break for a nap. After dinner, he could take DS for a walk or play with him in another room while you take a 1-2 hour nap, and he can bring DS to you to nurse when he becomes really hungry. That would get you an extra hour or two of uninterrupted sleep, and give DH some daddy-son bonding time.

It doesn't sound like much fun because it cuts into YOUR time with DH, but if it's just a few nights a week and one nap during the weekend, and if it's just during the rough patches when you feel like you're up all night nursing DS, it's worth it!
    imageimage
  • @Emerald27‌ I'm sorry I forgot to mention in my intro (I forget that I should explain more sometimes)
    It's just me and little man, my husband passed away while I was pregnant.

I'd love to be able to do that though, for so many reasons!

Maybe I'll have a friend watch him so I can take a nap :)
  • @TJHine‌ I am so very sorry for your loss.

Having a friend watch him for an hour or two occasionally so that you can get a nap is a great idea. Hopefully this phase passes super fast, though. Infant sleep is constantly changing.
    imageimage
  • OP, I feel your pain --and exhaustion-- on this one. My DS is also five months and has been sleeping horribly for the last month or so but the last week or two have been particularly bad with wake ups as often as every 30-40 mins. Nursing is usually the only thing that will calm him and like you, I can't sleep while I nurse even though we bed share. I'm praying this is just a phase.

I read the No Cry Sleep Solution and might try some of those ideas if this pattern continues. Maybe check it out and see if it sounds like it would help? ((Hugs)) you're doing a good job, even if it doesn't feel like it from a sleep-deprived haze.
    BFP #1 1.2.12 EDD 9.15.12 :: mmc 2.22.12. / d&c 2.23.12 :: 2nd d&c 3.16.12

"there is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

BFP #2 2.27.13 EDD 11.8.13 Grow, baby, grow!

My Ovulation Chart

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary

image imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image

~ all ALers welcome ~

• @JennOH85‌ Thank you! I really just wanted to know I wasn't alone and to not have people tell me I needed to get him out of our bed, because I'm not ready yet!

I hope both of our LOs start sleeping better soon!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I just wanted to say that I remember that the time period around 4 or 5 months was rough, but it gradually got better! I definitely wouldn't give up bed sharing if you're not ready. I feel like I have gotten so much more sleep by having DD in the bed with me than if she'd been in a crib. I've gradually gotten better at sleeping through night feeds. Now whenever I wake up in the morning, I literally don't remember nursing in the night, but I know I must have because I wake up on the other side of DD (I switch sides halfway through the night). You may find it easier to sleep through night feeds as time goes by. Plus, as they get older, they can just latch themselves on without waking you! Hang in there...it gets better!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • My DS is 7 months and i have been co sleeping with him since he was born. He might sleep a good 5 hrs before i have to nurse him almost every hour until he wakes up. Yes it's exhausting but sounds like u are an awesome loving mom!!!
  • daniann333daniann333 member
    edited April 2014
    TJHine said:
    @JennOH85‌ Thank you! I really just wanted to know I wasn't alone and to not have people tell me I needed to get him out of our bed, because I'm not ready yet! I hope both of our LOs start sleeping better soon!
    We are in the same situation.  It seems like C is up all the time to nurse.  Also, he rolls to face me where ever I am laying.  Ex: last night, I was laying down, got up and went to the other side of bed.  C rolled all the way over, grabbed my shirt and pulled himself closer.  (mind you, he won't roll during the day)  Let me know if you find any tricks.  I am not ready to get him out of the bed either.

Edit: Spelling
    View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"