October 2014 Moms

Out at work

So I'm out at work as of today. I am pleasantly surprised at their reactions. I really thought it would be an awkward convo, since I've only been her since November and I'm only 20 hours a week. It went fine. I do understand that it's possible (though I haven't been led to think this yet) that I might end up having to find a new job after LO (especially if they need someone back after just 6-8 weeks, which is their current maternity leave). I'm just glad I don't have to hide it anymore. It was hard to do, esp with all the nausea and m/s everyday.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

Re: Out at work

• I bet it's a relief that they know now. What do you do for work that you don't think they'd wait for you through an extended maternity leave? Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Glad it went well! I started in February (new position, same company for 3 years) and I was so scared to tell my boss. He was super happy and nice. It makes pregnancy more enjoyable :)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Gibson is due October 8th! (Bfp: January 29th)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Noah 12.26.2008

6 lbs 6 oz / 19.5 inches long

• Loading the player...
  • Glad it went well for you.

All the women in my office have known for a couple of weeks (2 friends that have known from the beginning and I told my boss a couple of weeks ago), but I told the guys at a staff meeting last week, and the one dude goes, "Again?"  Umm, yes, some people actually have more than one kid, thanks.
  • ss265ss265 member
    SusieBW said:
    Glad it went well for you.

All the women in my office have known for a couple of weeks (2 friends that have known from the beginning and I told my boss a couple of weeks ago), but I told the guys at a staff meeting last week, and the one dude goes, "Again?"  Umm, yes, some people actually have more than one kid, thanks.

Well, that was rude of him. Especially since your LO is 2.5 years old.

• Glad it went well!  I had to let my bosses know a few days ago because of an "emergency" doctor visit.  They didn't really seem to care either way.  I work with all men which can be frustrating at times.  I will be leaving at the start of my 3rd trimester to be a stay-at-home-mommy.  I haven't told them that yet and I doubt it will go well but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised like you were.
    October 2014 April Siggy Challenge: Favorite Flower - Lilacs
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ss265 said:
    SusieBW said:

Well, that was rude of him. Especially since your LO is 2.5 years old.
    Yeah, he's kind of aloof, so I just wrote it off to that and laughed.  But yeah, not the best reaction ever. 
  • Yay! I told my boss last week, since I've had about a billion doctor appointments and those seem to have no end in sight. I'm waiting to tell the rest of the office. I don't know what I'm waiting for, though.
  • Eastie156Eastie156 member
    edited April 2014
    I bet it's a relief that they know now. What do you do for work that you don't think they'd wait for you through an extended maternity leave? Good luck!

I'm a part-time accountant in a small company and literally I am the accounting team! We have a CFO, but she works full-time for another company in Canada. So it's literally just me. She mentioned they could hire back their CPA (who is a consultant and used to do their books) for a while since I'll be out. I'd hope they wouldn't mind me being out, but their policy is only 6 or 8 weeks and with DS I took 12 (at my old FT job) and that was hardly enough. So, I guess if I take an extended leave, I don't want to be naïve enough to think they'd be able to get by without me.

• SusieBW said:

From that response, I'd assume he's very young without a family himself. Idiot.

• SusieBWSusieBW member
    edited April 2014
    Eastie156 said:
    SusieBW said:

He's in his early 40s, but not married and no kids,and as far as I know, not even a serious girlfriend or anything.  Like I said, he's sort of aloof, for lack of a better term.

Edited - because I quoted the wrong thread.
  • Yay! I am so nervous about telling work. I actually told my old boss today, and he was really excited for me. I told him I was nervous about telling my new boss because I will miss most of the busiest part of our work year. I am also going to take extended leave (up to 24 weeks) so I am nervous about how they will take that.

I am telling one of my THREE bosses next Wednesday and the other two on Thursday. The ones on Thursday I am most nervous for! I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've told my boss, but not any of my coworkers.  I'm not especially close with any of them and I hate being the center of attention so I'm going to hold off maybe until I know the sex before I announce it.

DS #1  1/10/2004

DS #2  2/1/2006

EDD #3  10/5/2014

BabyFruit Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My whole office knows. I work at a doctors office and guess I got a little emotional and it came out hahaha (as well as the immediate doctor visits I had to tell my boss about hahah). Glad it went well!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • SusieBW said:
    Eastie156 said:
    SusieBW said:

He's in his early 40s, but not married and no kids,and as far as I know, not even a serious girlfriend or anything.  Like I said, he's sort of aloof, for lack of a better term.

Edited - because I quoted the wrong thread.

Oh. Interesting. He sounds awkward!

edited April 2014
    Do you mind if I ask why you are out already?  Maybe I missed a post...is it just because of MS? 
    It's not all that early. I'm 12 weeks on Friday, finding out the sex in two weeks and have had an incredibly long 9 weeks of m/s. I don't consider this too early. Plusalso, my bloat is making me look pregnant and I look like shit everyday. It's pretty obvious something is going on with me.

• I read the thread title as out OF work and was like "oh no!" But this is much better, glad it went well for you!

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
    edited April 2014
    jenndub said:
    I read the thread title as out OF work and was like "oh no!" But this is much better, glad it went well for you!

@jenndub, that would not be good. It would be my second layoff in just over 6 months!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"