3rd Trimester

Car Seat question

I have two car seats. One is from last year and one is from this year. Both were given to me by a friend and one by a family member. Do I need to go somewhere to have it installed? or can I do it myself? 
BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Car Seat question

• You can do it yourself.  If you are nervous check with your local fire department, some of them offer installation checks to be sure that it is installed correctly.  Our hospital checked ours before we took LO home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Loading the player...
  • MizooMizoo member
    You can do it yourself.  If you are nervous check with your local fire department, some of them offer installation checks to be sure that it is installed correctly.  Our hospital checked ours before we took LO home.
    This ^  Our local fire department does free install checks once a month.  They prefer you come to them having at least attempted to install it on your own first, though. 
  • apmomapmom member
    I had my first seat checked because I was nervous... If it makes you more confident, have it checked!
  • Thanks for the replies. It is looking like I will have to purchase a new one. I called the company for the Graco one, and they said the seat belts were recalled. They will send replacement belts in 4-8 weeks. I cannot wait that long since I am due April 23rd. At least it can still be used later on once we get the belts. 

The Britax one they said it expires January of next year, but that it is a "retired" car seat. They said that they recommend that I do not use it. I shall go buy a new car seat then. 
  • The Graco one they said I can use until December of 2015. 
  • What models? 

If you don't feel comfortable using either seat and are looking for an inexpensive infant car seat I'd look into the Cosco Comfy Cary Elite. Otherwise if you want a convertible seat that can be used until you get the Graco replacement buckle and again when they outgrow the infant seat I'd recommend the Evenflo SureRide or the Evenflo Titan 65 (it's the same seat but the Titan 65 has less padding so it is less expensive). 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Neither of those things are safety issues, FYI.  The Graco belts weren't recalled, just the buckle and only because it COULD stick.  It is not a safety issue.  For the Britax, are you talking about a convertible seat?  You'll need one beyond the date of expiration but unless you plan to sell this one, I'd use it for as long as you can and then see what's out there to buy.  Being a retired seat has zero impact on whether or not you should use it.

Also, if you have someone check your install, make sure it's a CPST.  The FB group Car Seats for the Littles is a great resource.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Thank you all. For the Graco it is 1750728. The person that gave it to me said she had it checked by the fire house, and they told her it was safe to use. She used it this year in January for about a month. 
    The second one we have from Britax is the MARATHON (G1). They said it expires January 1st of 2015. I figured that I can use it until that day. Since we have two cars I also figured the Graco one is safe to use if it already was inspected in January. 
  • Hmm, I didn't know the belts weren't recalled. So, then perhaps I can use that one. I was going to install the Graco one in my car since we use my car more, and the other one in my husband's car for when we come home from the hospital. 
  • I would say that if you have any doubt about the integrity of the seats you currently have, you should just buy a new seat.

If you don't have the manuals for the older seats, you can probably find them online.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• The Graco one is only an infant car seat, not a convertible. It's this one https://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?productid=1750728#sthash.bybhfHLv.dpbs

Neither of them have been in accidents. 

I am not sure I understand why it matters if the straps have been submerged in water to be clean. Can please explain what that means? Is that a safety issues? Is it just to clean? 

I have both of the manuals. The Graco is only an infant seat. The Britax is a convertible seat. 
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    You can only spot clean straps. It compromises the integrity and takes off the fire proof lining on them.
  • Just a word of warning. Both of those seats may not fit your newborn. The Graco Snugride 22 has high harness slots and doesn't always fit a newborn since the straps need to come out from below the shoulders. The Britax Marathon will probably require you to buy the newborn wedge in order for it to properly fit a newborn. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you for enlightening me about this subject. 

I am confused as to why the Graco wouldn't be able to fit a newborn if it says that it is from 5-22 pounds. The Britax Marathon I can understand. We were planning on using the Britax Marathon after 22 pounds, and until it expires in January. 
  • When a child is rear facing the straps have to come out of huge back of the seat at or below their shoulders. If your seat doesn't have slots low enough for that to happen your kid won't fit in it, even if they do by weight.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lolasmit said:
    Thank you for enlightening me about this subject. 

I am confused as to why the Graco wouldn't be able to fit a newborn if it says that it is from 5-22 pounds. The Britax Marathon I can understand. We were planning on using the Britax Marathon after 22 pounds, and until it expires in January. 
    The harness straps must be below an infant's shoulders when rear-facing. If the lowest harness height setting is too high, the straps will come out above an infant's shoulders, and thus will not fit the baby appropriately or safely, regardless of the baby's weight.

As for the Marathon, my understanding is that the older Britax seats (like the one you have in your possession; if it has a 2015 expiration date it was made in 2009) had higher bottom harness slots too and so won't fit newborns as well as the current generation (which even then is iffy unless you have the wedge). However, you can't count on your baby hitting 22 pounds or outgrowing his infant seat in the next nine months, either. My kiddo barely cleared 20 lbs at his one year checkup, and at 18 months he was just a hair over 24 pounds.
  • We moved to a convertible around six months even though we hadn't out grown the bucket. Some kids just don't like infant seats and are happier in a convertible where they're more upright and can see more.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Haha my 18 month old is just now 22 pounds :)

But my friends is closer to 30
  • Thank you. I really hadn't thought of these things. I really appreciate the input. 
    So basically as soon as she turns 22 LBS I'd have to get a new car seat and a convertible would be a good idea? 
  • We moved to a convertible around six months even though we hadn't out grown the bucket. Some kids just don't like infant seats and are happier in a convertible where they're more upright and can see more.

neither of my kids were even close to the weight or height limit when we moved them out of their infant seats. They both preferred bigger seats by 6 months,
  • lolasmit said:
    Thank you. I really hadn't thought of these things. I really appreciate the input. 
    So basically as soon as she turns 22 LBS I'd have to get a new car seat and a convertible would be a good idea? 
    When baby outgrows the infant seat by height or weight, you will have to move to a seat with higher limits, and it would make the most sense to get a convertible at that point. You may decide to switch to a convertible before then, however, and install it rear facing. It's also possible to get a convertible from birth - we did it, but not all convertible seats fit newborns well and those that do might be outgrown before a toddler should be switched to forward facing.
  • Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"