LGBT Parenting
Options

Preparing to TTC

Good Morning all,

I am curious to know how soon before TTC did you start taking prenatal vitamns and other supplements to prepare your body for pregnancy. What supplements did you take? Has anyone tried yoga to prepare their body? I'm about 5 months from ttc by the way.

Re: Preparing to TTC

• Options
    The number I heard was 3 months before you begin TTC. All I do are prenatal gummies. Anything else is too harsh for my stomach.

Me: 28 DW: 28

Together since 5/30/02. Married since 8/31/08

IUI#1 - 12/13/13 = BFN

IUI#2 - 1/22/14 = BFN

IUI#3 - 2/21/14 = BFN

IUI#4 - 3/23/14

• Options
    2momsinCA2momsinCA member
    edited March 2014
    I started prenatal vitamins and dha about 6 months before starting ttc. I did yoga that whole time too and throughout ttc. I don't know how much it helped with my fertility, but it definitely calmed my ttc anxieties and frustrations.

I also started temping about 6 months before ttc and realized my luteal phase was short so I supplemented with vitex, red raspberry leaf, and extra vitamin b6. But once I started working with the RE I quit that stuff because it didn't extend my luteal phase and progesterone suppositories did the trick.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    KH826KH826 member
    I started prenatals one month before our first IUI. I would have started earlier, but it honestly didn't dawn on me until I met with our RE and she suggested that I start them. She tracked my cycle for a month and we did testing and then she felt I was ready to start trying, so we did our first IUI. I too ended up switching prenatals because the first ones that I tried made me sick. Now I take the gummies and I take a prenatal fiber and calcium supplement gummy as well.

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    I started taking a prenatal a couple months before my first IUI and also started cutting my caffeine intake before I started trying and cut down on alcohol.   I too started with a gummy prenatal but my OB has since switched me to another kind.  I also recommend increasing your iron intake. 

Me: 30  DP: 30

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

IUI#2 10/26/13 BFP beta #1 99 #2 456

2/20/2014 Brynlee Madeline is taken too soon at 19weeks she was perfect

IUI#3 6/10/14 BFP beta #1 276 beta #2 722 20w A/S shows we are having a girl

• Options
    My OB recommended VitaMedMD One Prenatal Vitamin with DHA.  I have always had issues with multivitamins making me feel sick but haven't had any problems with these. 

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

• Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. I know that I will have to take iron pills as I am slightly anemic and calcium as well. I think I am going to start them next month just to get my body used to them in case I need to switch. Are the vitamins all OTC or are the meds being prescribed to you by doc?
  • Options
    how do you know how far you are from TTC?  
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Because I plan to start TTC in Sept. Am I understanding your question correctly? @mrs&mrsk

• Options
    The prenatal vitamins were a prescription but can be bought online without one.  They are only available through the VitaMedMD website.  My OB told me to take floravital (I think that is the name) for iron.  It is also available online or at Wholefoods.  It is vegetarian and glutton free and so far has been a lot easier for me to take then the original recommendation of 65mg iron pill daily.  The one downfall of the gummy prenatal vitamins is that they contain no iron at all so if you already know that iron will be in issue they may not be the best option. 

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

• Options
    Yes we are new to this I was just wondering if there was a certain recommended amount of time it takes to track on a opk, etc
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

@ticktock0903 I have been doing a lot of research on vitamins during pregnancies and found this article thought it related to your question

https://www.marilynglenville.com/womens-health-issues/pregnancy/#body

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

• Options

thanks @TwoMomsInTX Im in the military so I am pretty sure I can get my doc to write me scripts for any vitamins I'd need (I love my job!)

@mrs&mrsk I am not sure about the times needed for tracking opk, though I believe I was told 3 minimum months (don't quote me though ;)

@Amber&Reva thanks I will be sure to check that out.

• Options
    @mrs&mrsk I personally didn't do opk until the first month I actually inseminated however I did start temping about 2 months before my first IUI just to  make sure I was ovulating. 

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

• Options
    thanks for the input! how does temping work? i havent read up too much on that, so might as well ask you experts :)
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    2momsinCA2momsinCA member
    edited April 2014
    I temped for several months. It works well for some, not at all for others. I just got use to having the basal body temp thermometer by the bed and would take my temp as soon as the alarm went off everyday starting a few days after my period ended and I until I had a sustained rise in temp indicating ovulation. I also checked my cm and did opks as my cm started to change to verify everything. I had the fertility friend app on my phone and it was interesting to see the graph and the dependable O pretty much every cycle at day 15 followed by my period a pathetic 8 days or so later. Not really long enough to support implantation. Helped force our choice to go straight to the RE and not waste sperm on early home attempts. Way before I started thinking seriously about ttc a friend gave me Taking Control of Your Fertility since it helped her get pregnant at 40 and it got me into the whole concept of temping/checking cm.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Options
    Basically it is your at rest body temp so you take it first thing in the am at or as close to the same time every morning before you get out of bed or move around at all.  Following your period your temp is lower then you get a slight drop followed by incline when you O followed by higher temps and then your period.  For me it was very informative. By temping alone I was able to know after my first IUI I wasn't pregnant without ever testing and the month I got my BFP I knew it the morning off my blood test because my temp should have dropped but it hadn't it actually went up.

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

• Options
    You might want to check out the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  I have not read it, but I know others here have and have recommended it. 

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    Yes, Taking Charge, not Taking Control like I mentioned in my post... There's a website for it too that explains the basics. Also fertilityfriend.com explains the process of charting/tracking ovulation. I felt like even though we ended up with quite a bit of medical assistance, charting helped me understand my body and fertility far more than I ever did before ttc.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"