Special Needs

**breezy0629**

I just noticed your question regarding daily antibiotics for kidney reflux.  Drake is on Furadantin daily.  It only goes into the urine so it is safer than some of the others.  Is your DC on one?

Re: **breezy0629**

• Hey... thanks. DD is on Sulfameth-Trimeth, 3mL daily. ?Reluctantly, I will say I don't know hardly anything about it... I just hate that she is on it everyday. ?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry, I just noticed it too.  DD is on the Sulfa.  She used to take Furadantoin but it upset her tummy.  She does really well with the Sulfa.  Our Pedi said she likes to use it b/c it's been around for a long time.  The body rarely develops a resistance to it and won't interfere with any of the bigger, stronger antibiotics if DD ever needs them for anything else.  But the Fura is actually better in regards to not killing off any of the good bugs that live in the intestinal tract and has less of a chance of causing a resistance.  But, like I said, it upsets DD's tummy : (

I'll have to do some digging, but DH once found a few articles that actually talk about some studies that think a low-does antibiotic is beneficial, almost like a vitamin.  Our Pedi said she has seen this too.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.N_2005:

But the Fura is actually better in regards to not killing off any of the good bugs that live in the intestinal tract and has less of a chance of causing a resistance.  But, like I said, it upsets DD's tummy : (

I'll have to do some digging, but DH once found a few articles that actually talk about some studies that think a low-does antibiotic is beneficial, almost like a vitamin.  Our Pedi said she has seen this too.  

We switched to Furadantin because of these reasons but we're giving Drake a Pro-biotic right now because the Flora in his intestines was low causing diarrhea.   Sulfameth is what we started with.

I'd love to see those articles if you find them!  Any positive info on a daily antibiotic (besides the obvious) would be great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"