April 2014 Moms

Moms having big babies....

So at 38 weeks my LO was estimated at 8lb 9oz. I am a FTM and the Dr I saw last week thinks if he doesn't come on his own by my appointment on Thursday they will recommend inducing me by Friday. That is only 3days after my EDD. I'm trying to decide if I want to or not. I really don't want to let LO get too big and end up with a c-section which is what happened to my mom. Although I was certainly not 98lb when I got pregnant like she was! What are your thoughts and what are you hearing from your doctors/midwives?? TIA

Re: Moms having big babies....

• Women deliver big babies all the time! I wouldn't worry too much. Having a big baby is not a great reason for an induction, but there are often other factors that come into play.

That being said - I am in the same boat. My doctor is recommending induction at 39 weeks. After discussing the details with him, I am going for it. I trust him and we have discussed it thoroughly. I suggest you gather your facts and just talk it through with your doctor. It's a personal choice and you should do what you feel is best for you and baby!
  • ksr53777ksr53777 member
    edited March 2014

Posted the wrong link initially, this is the correct one:

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

This is a great article on big babies. 

• Loading the player...
  • I was induced with DD because they thought she was going to be too big.  She ended up being a healthy size (8lb 5.5 oz), but not as big as they predicted.  The induction was not worth it in my opinion.  This time, I have a new doctor and they don't want to induce unless I get to 41 weeks.  They're thinking it's going to be about the same size but haven't wanted to do a growth scan or anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They thought my boy was heading to be around 10 lbs and based on a third growth scan today at 38+3 he is measuring just over 8. I was facing the same issue as you. Dh and I had decided we would rather try induction instead of jumping to c section if my doctor (who is awesome and I really trust) truly thought he was going to be too big but turns out no worries and they are going to just let me go. It's a hard decision but ultimately yours! If you feel more comfortable waiting I would communicate that clearly- most doctors recognize (at least mine admitted it) that the measurements can be off at least a pound either way. Good luck!
  • Had an 8 lb 14 oz last time.  At 36 weeks this time he measured 7 lbs via ultrasound.  We're expecting another big one.  And we're not planning to do a thing about it.  He'll come and be what he is.  

• Yeah those measurements are generally off anyway. You'd be amazed at the small women who shoot out 10 pounders. It's possible.

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • My doctor was saying that inductions with FTMs should be avoided if possible, and since growth scans can be so off I would definitely argue against induction before absolutely necessary!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Sorry for the dumb question, but what is a "growth scan" ? My dr. did an ultrasound last week (at 36+5) and when I asked her if the ultrasound told her the baby's size, she said no, but she made a guess by feeling around with her hands on my belly and her prediction was 7 to 7.5 pounds if the baby was born that day! Yikes!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry for the dumb question, but what is a "growth scan" ? My dr. did an ultrasound last week (at 36+5) and when I asked her if the ultrasound told her the baby's size, she said no, but she made a guess by feeling around with her hands on my belly and her prediction was 7 to 7.5 pounds if the baby was born that day! Yikes!

Its an ultrasound where they measure baby's head circumference, abdomen circumference, and femur to make an estimated guess at his/her weight. Being that's how it's calculated explains why it can be and usually is inaccurate.
    Its an ultrasound where they measure baby's head circumference, abdomen circumference, and femur to make an estimated guess at his/her weight. Being that's how it's calculated explains why it can be and usually is inaccurate.
    And expensive.
    September Siggy Challenge: Singing in the Shower

• Ok, so it sounds like it's more complicated than the one I got last week. I didn't pay for mine. Actually I was a little surprised they even did it. They said they were verifying that her head was down (which they could already tell by feeling) and checking fluid.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mom was about 100lbs when she was pregnant with me, and I was over 9lb; she delivered naturally with no c-section. I don't know, I think being induced due to the possibility of a large baby is silly, especially because you don't know the actual weight until birth, seeing as U/S are often off by up to 2lbs. Either way though, I'd wait a bit longer before considering induction.
    Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• I just had a growth scan 38+3 (insurance covers it) and mine was 9lbs 8oz! Yeah they told me it can be off a lb in either direction but I'm hoping it's less than predicted especially since I have 10 days. My doctor is not for inducing which I am thankful for. I'm mostly worried about him getting stuck. That happened to my mil when she was giving birth to my husband. But she got him out.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The only way I think I'm having a "big baby" is because my mom told me I was less than six pounds when I was born, and my OB guesstimated that LO would be around 8.5 pounds if I went to term.  My mom was shocked, lol.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • I was induced with my first after being a week over due and induced with the second one at 39 weeks. Both were 10+ lbs (and I've never had GD). Number 3 is looking to be on the same track so my doctor and I have agreed to induce at 39 weeks. I haven't had any problems with the inductions and am actually more comfortable with it. I never thought is be able to deliver babies that big but it is possible. It'll be interesting to see how much this one weighs.
  • At week 36w my growth ultrasound said baby was 7lbs 9oz. They say if I go to 40w she'll be in the 10 lb range. That doesn't worry me too much based off everyone's feedback here and now that I researched and the measurements that push her over in size aren't her head or shoulders but her stomach and femur length. I have GD so they are inducing next week (39w). I'm not really happy about it but they have been super insistent that I need to induce but that they'll do cervadil and then pit only if necessary to keep labor moving and are willing to taper it off once labor kicks in. Its as good as I could seem to get them to agree too. At least I was able to say no to the C-section and they didn't push back very much there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine is measuring 8lbs 10 oz at 38 weeks but last month was 7.4 so not that big of a gain in a month I would wait if I were you (easier said than done I know especially since I know I am having a c section) but ultimatly trust what your Dr says.

• Thanks ladies for your thoughts! After reading the article link above and talking about it with my husband we are planning to hold off on the induction and just see what this LO wants to do. In the big picture another .5 lb probably won't change him coming normally and it seems a better chance for a c-section with induction than letting my body get ready on it's own. Good luck with all of your deliveries too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"