Preemies
Options

Trying to find where I fit in

Hello ladies! After a long bump break I am trying to find which board/s is/are the best fit for me. I was active on TTC, TTTC, and PAIF before my baby girls were born on 11/12/2013. We tried for 2 years which included medicated cycles, IUI's, and finally IVF. Lucky for us the first IVF attempt was successful! I had a complicated pregnancy and ended up on hospital bed rest for a month before going into preterm labor. My girls were micro preemies born at 27 weeks 6 days. Lorelei was 1 pound 8 ounces, 11.75 inches and stayed in the NICU for 62 days. Amelia was 1 pound 12 ounces, 13.25 inches and stayed in the NICU for 67 days. They are both doing amazing! Currently the only medical issues we are facing are inguinal hernias (both girls), crazy reflux (both girls) and poor weight gain (Amelia). I am adjusting to being a SAHM (was a teacher before the babies). Currently we are living at Fort Benning in Georgia, but we will be moving to Fort Lewis in Washington very soon. Besides trying to be the best mom I can be my interests include: music (I am a professional musician), sewing, knitting, cooking, fantasy gaming, and science fiction. In addition to my human babies I have two fur babies, Luke (a stripy orange cat and leader of the Rebellion), and Vader (a fluffy black cat and Lord of the Sith). So ladies, what do you think...will you have me?
TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Trying to find where I fit in

• Options
    All preemie parents welcome!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    Welcome!! So glad to hear your girls are doing well! What beautiful names! The ladies on this board are very supportive. I'm a teacher too (high school ESL), but a SAHM till September. What did you teach?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I remember you from PAIF! Glad your girls are doing well. My trio were born at 27+2. We took two home after 77 days. Our one DS is still in the NICU, hopefully coming home in another couple of weeks! Welcome to the board!
    Me: 33 DH: 36 Unexplained IF
    First pregnancy - DS 01-Apr-09;
    3rd cycle Clomid/IUI after 2 years TTC
    TTC #2 since ~June 2010
    IUI #1 & 2 - Clomid/IUI - BFN
    IUI #3 &4 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFN
    IUI #5 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFP!!
    EDD: March 22, 2013
    It's triplets!!

• Options
    Of course you are welcome! Congratulations on the birth of your little girls. DS also dealt with terrible reflux and slow weight gain. I'm a teacher, too! I wish I could SAH. We keep hoping for a lucky lottery win so that can happen.

I hope your little ladies continue to thrive!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Woohoo! I'm glad this seems like a good fit for me!

@KTZ17, I was a music teacher before the girls. I have taught middle school and high school orchestra, band, and elementary general music.

@bostonkisses2, awesome! What do you play/sing? I am a double bassist.
  • Options
    Of course!! :) Welcome and congratulations on your relatively healthy preemies! I have preemie twins (boy/girl) conceived via IVF also. Cali and Camden arrived 01/29/2014 at 25+0. We are currently 54 days into our NICU stay, which we anticipate will be about 4 months total. From one preemie MoM to another, how did you handle bringing one twin home before the other? It is something DH and I are currently trying to prepare ourselves for.
  • Options
    Absolutely!!!! Welcome. Glad to hear your babies are doing well. How do you like Benning? When do you PCS? We are at Leavenworth. Just got here in Jan but only here until mid-December. My oldest nephew graduated basic and AIT last December from Benning and my sister's youngest heads there in May.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Options
    Of course!! :) Welcome and congratulations on your relatively healthy preemies! I have preemie twins (boy/girl) conceived via IVF also. Cali and Camden arrived 01/29/2014 at 25+0. We are currently 54 days into our NICU stay, which we anticipate will be about 4 months total. From one preemie MoM to another, how did you handle bringing one twin home before the other? It is something DH and I are currently trying to prepare ourselves for.

I would say there are two sides of this issue: handling it emotionally and handling it logistically. Emotionally, the hardest part was walking out of the NICU with Lorelei and leaving Amelia behind. It was such a cruel mix of feelings. I was so excited to bring Lorelei home, overjoyed that she was healthy, terrified that I would not be able to take care of her, proud because it finally felt real that we succeeded in becoming parents after infertility, heartbroken that her sister was not ready to come home, and guilty for feeling happy at all while Amelia was still sick. I am sure you are already familiar with that jumble of emotions, but I personally was not prepared for how strong they would be in that moment. I flip flopped from feeling completely at peace and more happy than I have ever felt in my life to being so overwhelmed with sadness and longing for my other daughter, and there wasn't much in between. When I went back to the NICU to visit Amelia in the 5 days before she came home it was really tough seeing the empty space next to her where Lorelei used to be, because it just made it seem like Amelia was so alone. It felt like our family was split up I wish I could be more encouraging about it, but for me anyway, it was a really hard emotional time. I am thankful that it was only 5 days in our case.

Logistically, my husband and I had to take turns going to the NICU to be with Amelia while one of us was home with Lorelei. It was an adjustment for sure because I was used to spending at least 8 hours a day at the hospital, and that was no longer feasible. I stayed home with Lorelei while my husband was at work and then when he came home I would drive the 30 min to the NICU, stay for an hour, and drive the 30 minutes back. Then my husband would do the same. When he got home we would out Lorelei to bed and we switched off sleeping in the nursery with her. Basically my husband and I just didn't see each other for those 5 days. If you have someone who can stay with the one who comes home first so you and your husband can go to the NICU together that would simplify things. It just wasn't an option for us because our family is 1,000 miles away.

I wish you the best of luck. It isn't easy at all...but at the same time, it is wonderful to have one of your babies at home. The joy when your second comes home and your whole family is together at home where they belong is absolutely incredible.
  • Options
    LaciJaxx said:
    Absolutely!!!! Welcome. Glad to hear your babies are doing well. How do you like Benning? When do you PCS? We are at Leavenworth. Just got here in Jan but only here until mid-December. My oldest nephew graduated basic and AIT last December from Benning and my sister's youngest heads there in May.

We got here in June of 2013, so it hasn't been a long stay in Georgia. We are technically supposed to be at Fort Lewis before the end of April, but that is getting pushed back because there are still some medical things that have to be cleared up with the girls. Most pressing is the inguinal hernias. We have a consult with the Pediatric surgeon on Friday, and I hope that they will either say the surgery can wait until after we PCS, or schedule it soon so it can just be done with. Optimistically we hope to be moving early to mid May.
  • Options
    Welcome!   It sounds like you fit in perfectly with a lot of us.  I share many of your interests :)   Amusingly, we've had to schedule in gaming time (computer at the moment) for my husband's sanity through this.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    welcome!  Im so glad your girls are doing so well! I love their names!  This is a wonderfully supportive group.

I also struggled with infertility before having my daughter and am having an even longer struggle with TTC #2 and understand how that combined with prematurity can really be tough to reconcile.  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    I have a girlfriend who just moved to Ft. Lewis recently. Can I put you guys in touch?
  • Options
    Welcome! I'm in GA too, but up in Alpharetta :) I had my boy at 32+2

• Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    Congratulations on the birth of your LOs!  My daughter is also an IVF baby, and she came at 26-weeks.  I'm so glad that they had relatively short NICU stays and that, although they still have some issues, it isn't anything too major.  Welcome to the board!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"