September 2013 Moms

When will you stop?

I am so tired of people asking me when I plan to stop BFing. My general response is, "when I'm done".
Any one else getting asked this?! What do you say??? My initial goal was to BF for 3 months. Once I hit that, I decided to just keep going until I don't want to or until DD weans herself, or I can't.

Re: When will you stop?

• As long as I can, I really enjoy breastfeeding. I will evaluate when my mat leave ends in September.
  • Loading the player...
  •  I haven't been asked this specifically but bc LO is so big sometimes I get the "wow, she's still nursing" comments. I still cant believe the comments and opinions people have and share with me since being pregnant and having a baby.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• No one has asked me when I'll stop, but they sometimes act surprised that I am still breastfeeding. Most of the responses are positive though. My goal is a year :)

• I get asked how long I plan on BFing. To me that's different than asking when will I stop. Asking what my goal for BFing is showing support where askingn when I am going to stop sounds like I am doing something wrong. But maybe that's my perspective. Either way, I tell them a year or a year and a half if my body will let me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I haven't heard any negative comments about breastfeeding, we'll keep going as long as we can and if I'm asked that's what I answer.  Pumping at work is getting teidious but, I don't want to loose my supply.
  • I usually get the "oh your still bfing" and I am very proud to say yes.  I've had lots of struggles with supply and we supplement when needed so every day is a bonus to me.  My DD loves to snuggle up and nurse and I'm not ready to give that up yet.

• I have overcome ALOT of BF challenges. So it really irks me when people tell me I should stop Bc she has teeth. Right now, she's teething and refusing to nurse except for her first and last feedings, so I am pumping a shit ton. When her little gums feel better, we will resume. My goal is a year.
  • This annoys me. LO has always been a slow gainer so BF has been a struggle, I'm constantly worried if my supply is low. My MIL has been a great support to me during this. However, the other day (while talking about BFing) she goes "Well, she's 6mo now, how long do you really plan on BFing for?" I was shocked. I just said "not sure" even though I know it's minimum a year. 

My Dad also thinks it's a normal thing to stop BFing and switch to formula. When I tell him that breast milk is more nutritious, he looks at me like I'm crazy and just says "feed the girl, she's hungry". As if my breast milk isn't enough for her. 

Even my DH thinks that BFing past a year is "weird". I told him I'd wean her at a year. I secretly don't really mind if it goes beyond that. Nursing has been a struggle but I love it. I think I'll be extremely sad when we finally do stop. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 1.5.13 - EDD 9.5.13 - Ysabella Sofia born 9.12.13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wluxwlux member
    I'm so jealous of you ladies. I only made it 9 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never been asked really.. Seems like everyone in my life just doesn't bother with these personal little details.

I do plan on breastfeeding for a year though, I'm excited to be half way there! Although I'm not looking forward to losing these boobs so maybe we'll breastfeed until she's in school ;) lol jk kind of.
  • My mom wants me to stop out of convenience for her. She wants to take him out and give him bottles when I sleep (I work 3rd). She tells me that she weaned me at 6 months and I'm fine. Mind you, she weaned me to WCM and I'm chronically anemic...

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • Right now we BF and I have to supplement b/c my supply is crap.  I pump every 3 hours at work for not much milk.  Some have suggested just throw in the towel and give it up but I don't want to.  My LO loves to nurse so I will continue this combo until I can't.  I feel what I can give is better than none and although it makes me sad that my body is not working the way it should I am happy we have made it this far.

It still amazes me how nosey people are when it comes to this topic.

• I get that question a lot. I aim for a year but we'll see how long he wants to continue!

Someone told me over the weekend when I answered we're aiming to make it a year "Oh that's good. At a year then he will start to thin out, when he stops with the milk. Real foods will help lose the chubbyness."

Really??

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I get that question a lot. I aim for a year but we'll see how long he wants to continue! Someone told me over the weekend when I answered we're aiming to make it a year "Oh that's good. At a year then he will start to thin out, when he stops with the milk. Real foods will help lose the chubbyness." Really??
    What a twat waffle! I love the chubbiness and I have worked my ass off to get it.  Looks like we all got some gems of comments over the weekend :)

• My (female) assistant manager said the other day when I was going to pump, "how long are you ACTUALLY going to do that for". When I said at least a year, she said, "seems a little excessive ,doesn't it?" Uh no. And not only no, but I'm pretty sure as management, you're not supposed to be making comments like that.

I'm going to be in a friends wedding when LO is 14mos. I also got some surprised looks when I mentioned off hand that LO would probably still be nursing, followed by a, "won't she be too old for that?"

• I set my goals a little at a time. First it was 1 month, then 3 months, then 6 months. Baby girl will be 6 months this week. I hadn't really thought about it beyond that. I'm just going with the flow. It's not always easy but I enjoy breastfeeding. I love snuggling up with my baby and knowing I am giving her the best of me. I'll do it for as long as I can and as long as my girl wants to. So when my own mom and sister in law ask me when am I going to stop I simply say I don't know. My mom breastfed me for 18 months so I don't know why she's tripping.
  • My plan is for her to have breast milk until around 1 year. I'm hoping to have enough milk Frozen around 10-10.5 months to give pumped milk during they day and nurse only at night and 1st feeding if they morning so I don't have to pump at work. When we get to 10 months I'll figure out how close I am. Then probably start WCM after she turns 1. So we will actually breastfeed a little longer during the transition too.
  • I haven't gotten much of that question, but I've been told that 6/9/12 mo is "long enough/too long," that I'll "obviously" stop when he gets teeth (he has two), and that I should stop "when he's old enough to ask for it." I don't have a specific plan in mind, but 1-2 years, most likely.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • I haven't gotten asked this question about S. yet. Probably because I am tandem nursing A. still. She'd be the one I wean first, obviously. 

I've actually only been asked this once, when J. was a little over a year. I was pregnant with A. at the time. I tandem nursed J. and A. for a long time. J. nursed until 2.5. 

So S. still has a long way to go. 
  • This question bothers me so much, especially when they ask it with an attitude like what we're doing is wrong. It is none of their business! I plan on at least a year, and then after that who knows. He already gets 50/50 formula and breastmilk bottles during the week while I work, but I love our evening and motn nursing so much that I'm not giving it up anytime soon.
  • ejb23ejb23 member
    I've gotten this question too even by other nursing moms. When I answer as long as she wants I'll keep doing it. They get judgy. DH would like me to stop at 1 yr so he can have my boobs back but I don't care about anything besides keeping her healthy and maintaining this bond as long as she wants!

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

• Just yesterday I told my MIL Desmond has two teeth and she she said, "looks like its time for weaning!"
    Nope. Not until at least a year. Probably longer though.
    fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • I feel like just about everyone I know (except other BF'ng moms) asks me this, and about 80% of people act like I answer with "high school" when I really say that one year is my goal, but that I intend to let LO wean herself when she wants.. 

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • SoCalBrandiSoCalBrandi member
    edited April 2014
    I've always hoped to make it to a year & we're halfway there. If we can get there & she still wants to BF & my body will do it then I'm happy to even go a bit longer. I honestly enjoy our nursing sessions so much!
    Edited typo
  • It doesn't bother me when people ask this. My goal is and has always been 1 year. It's much harder now that I'm back to work and pumping but I love our morning and night nurses so much it keeps me motivated to keep going. When I say 1 year I sometimes get sarcastic good lucks but honestly it's just more motivation to keep going.
  • I made it to 5.5 months, of EPing. I use to just say though that I was going to do it "as long as I could"

BFP#1.11/2/12-EDD 7/16/13-M/C.11/6/12
    BFP#2 1/2/13 EDD 9/13/13 DS#2 8/19/13!

My Ovulation Chart || Ovulation Chart 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• @whitneylux I didn't make it far either. I believe I gave LO a great start and at 23lbs and 30 inches long I know I did it right and continue to do it right for him! Hats off the good mamas growing their babes the best they can!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• No one asks when I am going to stop, just if I am currently BFing.

I'm ditching this damn pump by 13 months.  I'm not entirely sure how or when I'll go about weaning off of nursing.  I would like to be down to 1 or 2 nursing sessions a day by 13 months, and weaned entirely by 18 months.  With DS I only nursed first thing in the morning and pumped the rest of the time so at 13 months I just replaced that one session with a sippy of milk and he never cared.  DD nurses all the time, but is also happy with a bottle, so I haven't decided if I will actually start pumping more in the next few months so she is getting mostly bottles and I can simply switch them over to cow's milk one at a time or just hope she doesn't care that a bottle is replacing the boob.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• I want to get to one year even though it's getting harder and harder EP. My supply has slowly been decreasing and I'm almost out of my freezer stash so finger crossed I can make it. As for the comments I don't care because I know what's best they don't.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• I'll drop the pump when she's transitioned to cow's milk and nurse until she or I are finished.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"