January 2014 Moms

Blocked tear ducts

DS2 has had blocked ducts in both eyes since birth. I do massages on them per the pedi a few times a day, but his eyes are still constantly creating yellow gunk. 
He just woke from his nap and one eye sealed completely shut with the yellow gunk, and what does DS1 say? "Isaac's a pirate Mom!"  I laughed like crazy until I finished wiping his eyes clean.
Anybody else's LO still have blocked tear ducts? I've read it can take up to a year for them to open.  I really hope it is sooner than that. 
image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Blocked tear ducts

• Been there. LO is now 9wks and just noticed no more yucky stuff in about a week. I'm thinking it finally cleared. DH used to "milk" it as we call it. He would put a warm compress on it then put pressure like popping a zit. He'd do it 2/3 times a day and it seemed to work because all the yuckies would gush out (like a pimple) it never seemed to bother LO but we definitely felt bad because like you, he would wake up with his eye completely shut. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it clears up soon.
  • Yes. His eyes are glued shut after every time he sleeps for more than 2 hours, and often times even more frequently than that. I use a warm compress 5-6 times a day. If I press in a certain spot, sometimes I can express some of the gunk -- so I can see exactly where it's coming from.
  • Loading the player...
  • J has blocked ducts. I massage them. It seems just as they clear up she gets a blockage again

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS started waking up every morning with yellow gunk on his right eye which closed it shut. At least every MOTN feeding and first thing in the morning I would use a cotton ball with warm water to clear out his eye. I called the pedi on Saturday to confirm that it was a blocked duct and not pink eye and she confirmed it was. Thankfully yesterday it finally cleared up.  I googled online and read that expressing BM into the baby's eye helps. So I did that a few times a day on Friday and Saturday. I'd like to think that helped clearing it up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I heard breast milk is good to relieve it. I think you soak a cotton ball in BM & wipe around the duct
  • My LO had it for a day or two a while back in one eye. I massaged her inner eye area towards her eye several times with a very warm washcloth. I know it must be miserable for your LO to deal with!
  • Both my kids had clogged tear ducts.  I did the same solutions for both of them. DS's cleared up within a couple of weeks but DD's did not and we had to have a minor procedure when she was 15 months old to fix it. She's been great ever since.

• My LO has it in his left eye only. It gets gunky several times a day, especially after he sleeps. We massage the duct and do warm compresses.

• yes same here and I can't wait for it to clear up!
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
  • Levi's left eye is still clogged up. I clean it out all the time! I'm going to try the breastmilk thing tomorrow.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 4/2/13

DS born 12/19/13

• LO had it too. She's 9 weeks now and it's just as of last week or so that it's been clear. We did warm compresses and massaging. Hopefully it doesn't come back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"