Trouble TTC

AW: Anyone ever buy property?

theholmanherdtheholmanherd member
edited March 2014 in Trouble TTC
We are looking at a house on 6 acres. It has a chicken coop, small barn for goats and/or pigs, and a huge garage with workshop. As well as a hosue with finished basement, with much of its original 1918 bones (it's quite neat looking). We love it, but noticed that the very un manicured land is not only covered in foot tall grass and weeds, but there seems to be an infestation of grass spiders that just hatched (since Spring has officially begun here).

My concern is that, even if we can clear the entire property (except a few old tall trees that shield the view of our house from the surrounding area), the spiders may be so entrenched, the infestation would still be there. Does anyone have experience with this? This is our first house, first time buying property, and neither of us really know where to go from here. Andplusalso, the house, barn, coop, and garage are all in various stages of disrepair. So even if we buy, clearing the property and getting rid of the spiders would only be the beginning. I can see it as a finished product and I think it's a gorgeous property and we're living rent free right now, I'm just worried the infestation could cost us more than it's worth.

ETA: To give you a sense of what we're dealing with, there was at least an acre surrounding the house that was nearly completely covered in these nests of spiders. We saw the grass "moving" in many places, except within about ten feet of the house. Some of the mounds looked like ant hills, but were, in fact, nests of small black baby grass spiders. We thought maybe we just disturbed a nest bey walking around, but when I drove the car down the half acre length driveway, I noticed the grass lining the driveway path was also brimming with spiders.
Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole

Re: AW: Anyone ever buy property?

• One more thing! We would clear it by doing a controlled burn, which would get any unhatched eggs, but would likely just scatter most of the lives ones because they're pretty tricky little devils. We've done this on another property for his grandfather.
  • Thanks, ladies!

@GinnyJones82, my husband owns a small construction company. He has an idea of what needs to be done, and can do it himself, so that's good.

@calindi, it's right around what we were planning to spend, but I plan on negotiating that down anyway. And I definitely want a full inspection done in addition to the pest inspection LOL. I will have to look into a warranty, but no one lives there now, so it's possible it was a foreclosure. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • @AlaskaDee23, unrelated, but I love your new siggy pics! Esp. Romans 8:18 :)
  • I'm cringing. eek! However, Don't let spiders deter you from your dream home. Call an exterminator for a consult and see what they suggest.

Maybe set loose a bunch of frogs to eat up the spiders!

Good luck!

Me: 30   DH: 29
    TTC since 2010
    Oct. 2012 HSG: One blocked tube, one clear
    Oct. 2012 U/S: All good
    March 2014 SA: Flying Colors

April  2014: Met our RE/Got our plan!
    May 2014: laparoscopy/hysteroscopy removed stage II endometriosis
    June 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFN)
    July 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFN)
    August 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFP!)
    September 2014: Beta 1 at 14 DPIUI: 100
    September 2014 Beta 2 at 16 DPIUI: 239
    September 2014: Beta 3 at 23 DPIUI: 3,159
    U/S 9/26: One healthy baby! Measuring 1 day ahead and a FHR of 119 @ 6W4D (EDD May 18)
    U/S 10/26 (first OBGYN visit): Measuring 1 day behind and a FHR of 160 @ 8 weeks. Looks like an upside-down Teddy Graham!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't know anything about those particular spiders but can imagine an exterminator can get rid of them. Also the grass is high, mowing and clearing of debris does wonders to get rid of spiders. I bet there is a lot more than spiders on that property too. I live in a brand new house now in a subdivision in the middle if town. We've had problems with black and brown widows, I just call an exterminator.

My ex husband and I bought 6 acres of a wooded area and went in cut trees, cleared land, and dug a pond. Land is a lot of work on its on. We didn't keep the whole 6 acres cleared maybe only 2.

I've also owned an old house, I understand why people call them money pits. I'm always having to redo something on it. Me personally I love them and enjoy remodeling but be prepared because they always need something. I'd buy an old home in a heart beat, then again I do own one but it's a rent house now.

I would just make sure you are prepared (mentally and financially) for the work that goes along with owning land and old homes. The spiders will prob be a drop in a bucket for what's to come.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • I don't know anything about those particular spiders but can imagine an exterminator can get rid of them. Also the grass is high, mowing and clearing of debris does wonders to get rid of spiders. I bet there is a lot more than spiders on that property too. I live in a brand new house now in a subdivision in the middle if town. We've had problems with black and brown widows, I just call an exterminator. My ex husband and I bought 6 acres of a wooded area and went in cut trees, cleared land, and dug a pond. Land is a lot of work on its on. We didn't keep the whole 6 acres cleared maybe only 2. I've also owned an old house, I understand why people call them money pits. I'm always having to redo something on it. Me personally I love them and enjoy remodeling but be prepared because they always need something. I'd buy an old home in a heart beat, then again I do own one but it's a rent house now. I would just make sure you are prepared (mentally and financially) for the work that goes along with owning land and old homes. The spiders will prob be a drop in a bucket for what's to come.
    Thank you for this. I hadn't thought of some of what you said. I should know better; my uncle owns a house from 1925 in San Diego and he's constantly remodeling something. But that's his hobby, so not all of it was necessary. I can see where it would be a lot of work. Especially since the house is on a well and septic. I've never been on well and septic before, so that alone is a little daunting. I would worry about a septic tank backup GROSS. I love the property, but you may be right about getting in over our heads.

TBH, most houses in our area are from the 1910s, 20s, and 30s. It's hard to find anything newer than that outside of the tsunami warning area. Unless we build ourselves. In which case, we may as well rebuild a house like the one we found because at least the foundation and frame are already there.
  • I highly recommend if you do go the route of buying the old home and land get a good inspector. One that knows about wells and septic systems along with other things. You may even need to have a few ppl come out and look at everything to make sure.

My old home I had an inspector that was awesome he found a lot that was wrong that the owner did fix but I still took on a lot myself but at least I knew upfront what I was getting into. If I had it to do again I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love our move in ready brand new home but I miss the character of the old homes.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Well, we know they are common around here, so it could just be a peak since it looks like the property has been vacant for a while. My husband owns a construction company, so him and his dad and a couple cousins would be doing all the work. Plus one of my uncles from CA may be able to help out, too. I really do love the place. I just hope we can get it for a low price, because I'm likely to spend another $45k on remodeling and clearing based on what some of you have said and on what my husband said.

If this is the right property, I will keep my FX that it works out. Luckily, any inspector in the area is used to these conditions, so I would find an inspector pretty easily.
  • KT416KT416 member

Good Luck! We bought an old home (1880's) and gutted the whole thing two years ago. We did all the work (mostly) ourselves, and we are *almost* done finishing the inside. It was a lot of work and we definitely got over our heads at times, but I love everything we've done so far. We budgeted around 20k, and spent about 65k so far, so make sure you budget a little extra and be prepared for problems!

It is easier to buy a new construction home since you don't have to work with an existing home (and demo) but it is fun to restore the home. A new home next to us went up in a few months, and they've already lived there for over a year. I guess it's a matter of preference between new and old. Good luck!

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"