September 2012 Moms
Options

Decorating help

Originally DH and I had planned on having DD and the new baby share a room, well we got DD's new bed today and the room feels cramped. So now DH really wants to make the baby her own room which is stressing me out because I had zero plans and zero ideas. He also really wants the room to have an 'under the sea' theme, because his mom is making the baby a quilt with whales and turtles. She is going to use batik fabrics and the patterns she showed me are beautiful.

I don't want to do any thing over the top or kiddy, but I'd like it to stay somewhat girly. The only thing I can come up with is to use coral silhouettes as a graphic image. Is that dumb? Does anyone have any ideas for me? Furniture would be all white, the walls are currently a light beige. I want to try and keep things simple as there will be a time crunch to get this done along with all our other spring projects.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Decorating help

• Options
    Mermaids??? That the only girly thing I can think of when thinking of under the sea
  • Options
    Coral and teal colors. That's all I've got.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Newt69 said:
    Mermaids??? That the only girly thing I can think of when thinking of under the sea

I thought about that, but I don't know that I want to go 'cartoon-y' I like that DD's room doesn't feel like a kids room and flows with the rest of our home (her room has a tree graphic).
  • Options
    I would do some matching curtains, maybe a coral graphic on the walls, and some ocean, sea decorations. You don't need to go over the top and make it look like it's actually under the sea. https://blog.purehome.com/2013/diy-roundup-beach-decor/
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would go more "beach" theme than "under the sea". I think you will be able to find classy, fun, cute items and ideas if you stick with that frame of mind.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    A quick look on pinterest brought up a painting that says "twinkle twinkle little" and has a starfish on the bottom. A mobile made using driftwood at the top and shells hanging down. An octupus light switch cover with bubbles painted on the wall next to it. Sand buckets on the wall for storage. (classy ones..not cheap plastic colorful ones) Large sized starfish painted in whatever colors you want, and hung on the wall in a set of 3.

Type in "beach nursery" on pinterest. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    First of all thanks for the ideas so far!

I think I need to clarify; I don't want the room to be in your face 'I am a sea room', just enough that DH is satisfied and the room looks pulled together. So far I've found a decal and some fake coral from pottery barn. I would probably throw in a canvas print of one of our vacation photos, a whale breach or some sea turtles.

I'm not good at this at all and I know most of you made really cute rooms for your kids. I've added some pictures of what I've seen so far.
  • Options
    Obviously I'm a tom boy and boy mom....haha. All the ideas sound great.
  • Options
    Newt69 said:
    Obviously I'm a tom boy and boy mom....haha. All the ideas sound great.
    Girly is not my thing, but I get why DH wants a girly room. He just forgot that I suck at this stuff!
  • Options
    If this were my room, I would make a shell mirror.  If you happen to have seashells laying around in a bag from 5 years ago that you keep meaning to craft with and then just stare at blankly it would be easiest, otherwise you could go to the craft store and just buy some.  I'd personally spray paint the shells whatever color--coral, teal, gold, whatever you want.  Then I'd just glue them onto a cheap mirror like this:
    Here's some cute nursery art that you could have the colors changed for:

And I love these switch covers but I'm sure you could find them cheaper somewhere else:

And I love this pillow:

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    These are all good suggestions.  I agree with beachy, and I like the photos you posted.  I love coral, and you can totally tie that in.  Hobby Lobby or Homegoods might be worth a peek, just for an accent item here or there.

This is all I found:
    Probably not appropriate for an infant, huh?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    LON has this cute coral crib skirt that looks really great with the gold dot sheet. Skip the quilt.
    I think Yaz would be jealous if this was the theme. The Land of Nod | Baby Bedding: Marine Life Octopus Crib Bedding in Crib Bedding

I would love to do a cute understated surfer girl room. I saw a nursery with a black and white striped surfboard in the corner and now I am hooked on that idea. And I would love to get a doll beach house with some little wooden swim suit dolls for it. Then just do a driftwood mirror, seagrass baskets for toys/blankets/laundry, a seashell lamp to round out the beach theme.

beach nursery

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    LON has this cute coral crib skirt that looks really great with the gold dot sheet. Skip the quilt.
    I think Yaz would be jealous if this was the theme. The Land of Nod | Baby Bedding: Marine Life Octopus Crib Bedding in Crib Bedding

I would love to do a cute understated surfer girl room. I saw a nursery with a black and white striped surfboard in the corner and now I am hooked on that idea. And I would love to get a doll beach house with some little wooden swim suit dolls for it. Then just do a driftwood mirror, seagrass baskets for toys/blankets/laundry, a seashell lamp to round out the beach theme.

beach nursery

I love that crib skirt! 

I saw a bunch of stuff at HomeGoods today and picked up some white lighthouse bookends. This is more of what I want to go for I think, nothing over the top.
  • Options
    so cute @hmp1 !
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"