November 2014 Moms
Options

Can we talk weight gain?!

I'm starting this pg with 10 lbs left from the last and would really really like to keep my weight in check this time. I gained almost 50 lbs with my son. I've been eating very clean the past few months so I hope to keep it up. What do you have planned to keep weight in check? Any tips?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Can we talk weight gain?!

• Options
    I gained 50 pounds from my first baby and managed to drop all the weight before I got pregnant again. I achieved this by eating paleo and crossfit 5 days a week. I am now 9 weeks pregnant and for the last 5 weeks haven't been able to follow paleo or eating clean at all. The only foods I can manage to keep down are bagels and fruit it's really awful and I feel the weight coming back on but I am not indulging in sweets or fast food like I did with my first pregnancy. I am trying not to stress about the weight because at this point keeping food down is more important. I have a feeling that my body is just rejecting all of the processed carbs I am putting in my body since it had been about 6 months since I hate bread let alone a bagel. I'm trying to stay positive and I know when the second trimester gets here, I'll have more energy to be on track with eating and working out again. Just eat what your body wants and don't stress about the weight. It will come off after with hard work and dedication!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am trying not to weigh myself because I don't want to stress about it. I try to eat whole, real food. I eat when I am hungry, and I try to eat a fruit or veggie before I give in to my cravings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you generally a small person? I am small and when I'm pregnant I gain enormous amounts of weight. It might just be what your body needs
  • Options
    on42on42 member
    I'm petite and generally eat well; though with the nausea i mainly eat what makes it feel better--salty crackers or pretzels, apples, high fiber. I already have quite a pooch, I'm not sure if it's gas, water weight, or what. I am very worried about gaining too much weight too.

Sarah, 38 | Nathan, 40 | Maxine b. 11/2014 | TTC #2

• Options
    I'm 8 weeks and I've already gained ~8lbs. If I don't eat I get sick and I've had to cut way back on exercising bc I'm high risk due to my last mc.
  • Options
    atokatok member
    I am a small person but am out if shape and need to shed some fat. I had been doing very well losing weight. I just hope I can continue eating right and excersising. It's just hard working full
    Time with a toddler and tired from the pg
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm terrified to step on the scale. I gained almost 50lbs my last pregnancy but I also ate horribly & was on bed rest the last 3 months so that didn't help. I plan to make healthier choices this time, and *try* to throw in some exercise whenever this constant nausea ends. I go to the doctor next week, I'll find out what the weight gain so far is then.
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• Options
    I gained 85lbs last time. I am 5'7" and I started out weighing 128 and my last weigh in before giving birth was 212! I hated being pregnant and I was so uncomfortable. I just ate all the time and stayed home a lot. After giving birth I weighted 178. I was carrying a lot of water!

Before I conceived I was trying to get the last bit of weight off, my lowest weight was 134. I fit into my jeans I wore when I met DH! Since then I've been dealing with cravings and mild MS, mild food aversions. I'm going to try and stick with a modified exercise program and do more walking. I had big hiking plans with my BFF this summer and DH wants to to stick with those, so hopefully I'll be climbing a few mountains next month, too.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options
    I gained 50 pounds from my first baby and managed to drop all the weight before I got pregnant again. I achieved this by eating paleo and crossfit 5 days a week. I am now 9 weeks pregnant and for the last 5 weeks haven't been able to follow paleo or eating clean at all. 
    I was eating Paleo before this pregnancy as well, and like you I have had to stop for now.  Thinking about eating veggies makes me gag.
  • Options
    When I got pregnant with this baby I had finished working off the 35 pounds I gained from my first pregnancy and was trying to get down to my high-school weight. I'm a larger build girl but I'm only 5'2" and any weight I gain goes straight to my waist. I was down to 148 but now I'm up a few pounds from this pregnancy. I've had really bad morning sickness so my healthy eating and exercise are in the back burner right now until I feel better and get the go-ahead from my OB.
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I have 20 pounds hanging around from DS. I gained 40, but only lost 20 (and I breastfed).  I am concerned about this pregnancy too in terms of my weight gain.  So far, I think I've lost a few pounds.  I'm going to try to eat healthier and also stay away from baked goods.  Last time, I went crazy eating baked goods.

I exercised until the last week of my pregnancy last time - I haven't been as good as exercising this time just because with DS and working full time, I have so little time. 

• Options
    I have struggled with weight for all of my adult life. I exercise a lot and feel like I am rather fit, but I carry more fat than I would like. Over the past 2 years I have lost 40 pounds. It wasn't consistent - I would go months of staying on track and losing, then lose focus and maintain or slot gain for a stretch. Before my BFP, I was actively losing weight and feeling really good about myself. I was counting calories using the MFP app on my phone.

Now that I am pregnant, I am no longer aiming for a calorie deficit, but I am still using MFP to count calories. I don't want to eat at too much of a surplus and gain more then I need to. I like tracking my calorie and nutrient intake - it keeps me accountable and helps me feel like I am giving the baby a healthy, well balanced diet. The food aversions have been kicking in this past week, so some foods that have been staples for me are now grossing me out.

• Options
    I gained 60lbs last time around and no one seemed alarmed.  Started at 114.  Starting at 117 this time and I can't imagine I would gain any less that that.  It will be summer though so we can't at least get outside and I have a toddler to chase after.  The only thing that didn't ' make me sick last time was potatoes which greatly attributed to my weight gain.  My midwife said to eat what I could since I had no blood pressure or GD issues.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    First pregnancy I went from 118 to 155, got back down to 122. Got pregnant while still BFing, gained zero weight in first tri, ended somewhere around 155 again, then got back down to 122. Unfortunately I gained some weight over the past 6months, so I'm starting out this pregnancy at 127. I'm not planning to do anything special during this pregnancy. I do plan to work out more after this baby though. I'm not planning to go back to work so I think I'll have more time for exercise.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    ByrrdByrrd member
    Because I'm very overweight, my midwife has me gaining no more than 15 pounds during the entire pregnancy. 

The plan right now is low carbs and sticking with meats and veggies, with very limited fruits. 
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ByrrdByrrd member
    RobinandDJ and EmmyLou-

Did your doctors tell you to stop Paleo? My midwife was actually pretty happy with the fact that we eat a paleo diet, and just asked that I make sure to take a calcium supplement. 
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Last time I gained 29 pounds total, and basically nothing in the first tri. I tracked on MFP and exercised a lot - I did zumba 2-3 days/week and walked a ton. This time I've already gained 5 pounds, I'm eating worse because my nausea is different (I can only stomach carbs), and I'm hardly working out because of my schedule and because I'm no longer walking distance to zumba classes. Last time I felt really good throughout pregnancy, and I'm worried that it will be harder this time around if I don't pull it together to eat better and exercise more.
  • Options
    Byrrd said:

RobinandDJ and EmmyLou-

Did your doctors tell you to stop Paleo? My midwife was actually pretty happy with the fact that we eat a paleo diet, and just asked that I make sure to take a calcium supplement. 

The doctor did not say to stop eating Paleo, I just think about eating meat and want to gag! The only foods that aren't coming back up are bland ones like toast and crackers. I would like to get back on the paleo track once I am not so sick. My morning sickness is awful.
  • Options
    Im plus size but I've actually lost about 5lbs since my bfp... just been eating less cause it makes me wanna puke
  • Options
    Byrrd said:

RobinandDJ and EmmyLou-

I eat mostly primal (paleo + dairy), and kept it up fairly well when I was pregnant with DS, though I did cheat a little more than normal. I only gained about 18 pounds (116 to 134).

My doctor was totally fine with the way I eat. (I didn't use the words "paleo" or "primal" because most people have an incorrect view of what that is; instead, I briefly described my diet.)

You do need more carbs & glucose while pregnant, so I make sure to eat more sweet potatoes, potatoes, and fruit. And I eat "safe cheats" like rice & quinoa a few times a week.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I gained 45lbs pounds with DD.  I really "let it go" the first trimester....gaining like 15lbs in 8ish weeks.  I felt so bad physically that carbs and more carbs and fat were the only things that I wanted.  This go around, I'm trying to gain more slowly...being more mindful of calories, just as if I wasn't pregnant.  I've gained 4lbs so far....although I feel like I've gained 15.  I'm going to try not to worry about it too much while I feel this bad (1st trimester yuckiness).

• Options
    my siggy won't update.  I've tried a gazillion times.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"