Two Under 2

Tips for the first month

I am due with #2 this month. I have a 19 month old. She is very demanding and since I stay at home is so so so attached to my hip. It's gotten so bad lately that if I take her out and someone looks at her she screams ! I try everything to socialize her too. I can't go upstairs without her yelling for me. I have no idea how she's going to handle this baby. What are your tips for the first month . I like to get her out and about a lot and since I won't take the newborn out for a month how do you keep lo1 entertained all day? She's obsessed with tv and I'm scared she's just going to be stuck at home watching tv and going stir crazy the first month. Any tips on this? I'm just losing my mind with how demanding she has been I have no clue how I'll survive ahhhhh!

Re: Tips for the first month

• You are not alone, DD is 18 months and can no longer deal with the world unless she is in the carrier. I'm choosing to believe that this is a phase and it will end before #2 gets here. Until then I try to give her as much space as I can as often as I can often sneaking away when she is occupied.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At 18 months, my DD went through a horribly clingy stage complete with a terrible sleep regression. It lasted about two weeks. I tell you that with the hopes that your DD will improve before your new LO comes.

My DD is the type of kid who needs to be out and about too. We honestly have to plan an outing a day or she drives us nuts. We went out to eat after DS's weight check doctor appointment when he was three days old. When he was five days old we went on an all day outing to a local mountain. (We were in the car 80% of the time.) DH wore DD in the Ergo and I had DS in the Moby when we got to the museum/gift shop. It took me about 2.5 weeks to go on my first outing to the grocery store with both kids alone (and my car got hit in the parking lot on that one...adding to the adventure).

I bring up all the things we did while DS was young because I want you to know that it is 100% doable so long as you are having an easy recovery. I just recommend using a carrier or a car seat cover so that people don't touch your newborn, and you should be good to go.

As far as the tv goes, there are a million awesome ideas for toddlers on pintrest. Can you stock up on some supplies (water beads, pom poms, pipe cleaners, painter's tape, etc.) right now? Then, you can pull out something new to do each day. I'm amazed how much a simple idea (such as sliding pom poms down a wrapping paper tube) will entertain my DD.

One last idea. If you have a lot of toys, hide some away right now. Then, you'll have forgotten toys to rotate when you need extra entertainment for your DD after the baby comes.

The idea of two under two was so overwhelming for me, but I was pleasantly surprised how quickly our family adjusted. You can do this!
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly I wouldn't wait a month to leave the house, you will all go crazy. We started getting out of the house everyday when DS was about 2weeks old. He would stay in his car seat and I'd put it in the stroller and push him around while dd played at the playground or storytime. Get out every single day, it really helps. I found when DS was born dd wasn't getting enough activity and stopped napping- it was awful. Keep your toddler on a routine as much as possible. It seems intimidating now, but it won't be as hard as you imagine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"