Cloth Diapering

Soaking Overnight Dipes

Sarah226Sarah226 member
edited March 2014 in Cloth Diapering

I rinse out my ON dipes and then soak with a few sprays of BacOut to help with ammonia build up.  How long should I let them soak?  A few hours... all day... until wash time?

Also, I do diaper laundry in the morning.  Should I bother rinsing out that morning's ON dipes and applying BacOut, or just dump them right into the machine to get rinsed with all the other dipes?

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Soaking Overnight Dipes

• Oh, but you don't need to soak them til wash time. It's actually not recommended.

And is a drowning hazard for littles.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Mine soak in the spare sink, so there's no drowning hazard unless he figures out how to climb onto the vanity. I try to only soak mine for a few hours, but I have been known to get distracted and let them soak for 24 hours (quite often). Mine are just flats, so I don't have to worry about degrading elastic.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks. I soak mine in the sink as well and do often leave them for 24 hours, mostly because lazy. Oops. I know that's not good for the elastic and pul. So an hour or two is sufficient?

• Oh, but you don't need to soak them til wash time. It's actually not recommended.

Then how do you know which ones are for ON? Unless you use specific dipes for ON, I guess....so you take them out of the wet bag and soak them for awhile before washing?

Is this necessary for NB stage?

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

Then how do you know which ones are for ON? Unless you use specific dipes for ON, I guess....so you take them out of the wet bag and soak them for awhile before washing?

NB stage you are likely waking for feedings every 3 hours or so around the clock so you do not need a specific ON diaper.

ON diapers come in once baby starts sleeping for longer stretches. Maybe 5-6 hours initially and later on up to 12 hours (for some lucky parents).  Some babies are heavy wetters and need a specific ON diaper, often a fitted. Others do just fine with 1-2 extra doublers inside a pocket diaper. YMMV.
  • We just started soaking at 9 months. I use a new style BGE with an organic day inserts underneath.

In the morning I take it to the bathroom rinse in the sink. Soak for an hour or so. Wring it out and put in the bathroom wetbag with the sprayed diapers.

Does that help??
    If you don't have a bathroom wetbag you can wring it out some and take it to your pail. NBD.
  • Yeah, I didn't start soaking them until the last few months or so because they were smelling like ammonia in the morning.  I don't put them in the wet bag at all - just directly to the sink.  Then I wring them out and put them in the wet bag after they've soaked and had most of the pee rinsed out. 

@Amores0121 E is 20 months and I still don't need to do this.  Every baby is different.  Don't start adding more work for yourself unless you need to.  And my guess is that if you need to soak your ON diapers, you will know.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I noticed that we had a bit of detergent buildup in our TTs after about a month of using them. This is probably just due to our hard water, so I did a hot water strip and then added one more rinse to the end of our routine. So far so good.
  • Thanks for the info, ladies!

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"