July 2013 Moms
Options

BTDT Moms: weird question

Marnie has been dry overnight for weeks now. We have been putting a diaper on her 'just in case', but she even woke up a few nights ago at 2am to go to the bathroom, so I think we're done with diapers for good.

So, weird question, do you put underwear on your kids, or let them go commando? I remember we used to wear nighties pretty much exclusively as kids and went commando (TMI, I know, sorry), but what do you do when your kid is wearing footie PJs or a pants/t-shirt set?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: BTDT Moms: weird question

• Options
    edited March 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Underwear
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am SO relieved to have only one in diapers! Of course we have the occasional accident so I get to wash more underwear than usual, but that is so much better than changing 'diapies'. :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Underwear all the way! Go Marnie!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I never wore underwear but my DD always wears underwear. She said its feels funny.
  • Options
    I used underwear and a matress cover just in case. DS1 was a bed-wetter, so I didn't chance it with DD1.

• Options
    Underwear!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As a kid I went commando. My mom told me my girl parts needed to "breath". I have been wearing undies at night though since I was 8 or 9.
  • Options
    @Silv3rlining‌ I have many odd behaviors based on an irrational fear of spiders.
  • Options
    Undies! When we bought DD her Minnie Mouse undies she refused to put on pull ups after that, she was all about them
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Dd wears underwear, ds goes commando....great job on no more diapers!!

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    See, I'm the same as many here - my mom always said the lady bits need to air out. These days I'm always in underwear, but remember going commando as a kid and the need to take the air. ;)

@ebille we got Angry Birds underwear that Marnie loves. :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We always wore underwear as kids.

• Options
    No undies. I figure it lets her bits air out.
    Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    Underwear :)

@Silv3rlining‌ and @KateJuly2013‌ OMgosh...spiders. I hate them, hate them, hate them, hate them!
  • Options
    I can't sleep in underwear. I always get a wedgie lol

• Options

I cannot sleep without underwear on. I've tried it and I actually can't sleep. Its so weird. But as a kid, my mom always told us to go commando to let my girly bits air out. I had a lot of 'issues' from antibiotics as a kid.

Same...I can't sleep in a thong abymore, either. I've tried... Doesn't work!
  • Options
    mermomo5 said:

Underwear. We did it from day one and never used pull ups or diapers. I prayed for their mattress and cover but we had no issues. Way to go marnie, way to go for you with one less child in diapers.

Same here. I figured pull ups and diapers would just confuse her and make her think it was ok to go in them at night. She only had an accident the first potty training night and was good from there on out.

I think no underwear may have confused her too because she knows she needs to keep undies dry, but without I'm not so sure what would've happened.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Options
    How old is Marnie again? I'm excited for you on dry overnights! We still haven't had one & PT seems like yet another giant mountain for us to climb.

I digress...

I'd do clean undies unless you don't want extra wash. I went commando later (like 8 years old). You could always trial & error it to see if she has a preference?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

@Primrosemama we potty trained over Christmas when DH was home, so she was 2.5.  She will be 3 in June, but has been dry overnight for probably the past two months.  It is DEFINITELY nice to not have two in diapers anymore!  :)

PT was surprisingly easy - we use stickers as a reward.  She goes in the potty, she gets to put a sticker on the potty (in hindsight, I would probably put up a posterboard above the potty to put the stickers on).  One for a pee, and two for a poop.  We took one solid day when we were staying in the house and did it.  But she was definitely ready for it at the time.

She had a couple of panic moments when she had to poop and was freaking out about having to sit on the potty to do it, so I distracted her with the sticker sheet and had her sit on the potty to decide and admire which sticker she wanted for her potty after.  She was so distracted by the stickers that she calmed right down.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @thegoodpotato‌ : PT seems to have stalled here because she only seems to communicate "poo" after the fact? She can recognize #1 & act accordingly about 50% of the time. Should I just put her in undies during the day here & see how it goes?

We've had issues with public toilets being scary for her. She's fine until we get to the dropping of pants/undies. Then she flips out even if we bring the adapter potty thing in the bag. She just freaks on the potty. :(

We are working on currency/reward for her. Stickers don't seem to work or she melts down because she wants ALL the stickers. So far a little chocolate has been effective. It's hard to make rewards that stay appealing. :-?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

@PrimRoseMama maybe she's just not ready yet?  I had on-and-off success with Marnie before we hit it hard just after she turned 2.5, so Abby is still young.

Marnie wasn't really recognizing #2 until she was going, either.  But she always gave a few good toots beforehand, and would get that 'concentrating' look before it happened, so we usually had time to whisk her away to the potty.

We really had no success with public toilets until she was potty trained really well and going in a seat adapter at home (not on a little potty).  If you tried she freaked right the heck out and outright refused to pee.  She still doesn't really like being on public toilets.  She will tell me she's done before she's done just so she can get off.  We took diapers with us when we had to go somewhere (just in case), but made the trips short so she could hold it all the way through.

Or you could bring a wet bag and a few changes of clothes.  :)

I would definitely recommend putting her right into underwear.  Marnie kept forgetting to potty, but she *really* recognized when she had an accident in her underwear, and she hated it, so it made her more willing to let us know when she had to go.  Or, more accurately, to actually say "yes" if we asked her if she needed to.  ;)

After the first couple of days she would even cry if she peed in her diaper... I don't think this is entirely normal, though, and we may just have gotten off easy.

Even now, sometimes she'll say she doesn't have to go, then be at red alert ten minutes later.  We had an accident on the floor at playgroup the other day because she was too busy having fun to recognize that she needed to go until the last minute.  It's a good thing they have a clothing exchange there.  We came home with a nice pair of flannel pajama pants....

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    It's so foreign to me to not wear underwear. I didn't know "airing out" was a thing. Like I need to pick my jaw up off the ground because I seriously didn't know people did this. I don't see it as bad. Just never crossed my mind.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    @Silv3rlining‌ Hmmmm...thanks for ruining my nude sleeping habit with the spider stories...
    #scarredforlife

@thegoodpotato‌ sorry no advice because I'm stuck imagining spiders will be crawling up my whoo ha if I forget to wear undies to bed tonight and for the rest of my life... :((

BabyFruit Ticker

j13 sept. siggy challenge: Apples:

• Options
    Owen wears a clean set of boxers as his bottoms. Liam goes commando under his jammies.

I can't remember if I wore underwear to bed as a kid, but I don't as an adult. It's not really comfortable and definitely not good for the GU system.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Underwear. It feels weird to me to go commando!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DD1 wears undies.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    DS1 goes back and forth depending on how he's feeling that night. Lol

@PrimRoseMama‌ We did naked potty training over a long weekend and it worked amazing! Day 1 was a little stressful, but he's been trained since day 2 with only a handful of accidents in the past year. We also did cheering and cool whistle candies when he went. Potty training is stressful!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    photo 5eaaf87b-ad37-4eed-9526-ebc7b28aed0d.jpg photo d035cb36-2bee-4dc9-8bf7-15d34ec258be.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"