August 2014 Moms
Options

NBR: Spring garden! Gardeners

Is anyone else getting green growth?
My hydrangeas are getting their leaves, and the flower bed I seeded a couple weeks ago has a bunch of sprouts coming up!
I have all my veggies in the garage, waiting for consistent weather, but this is exciting!  Only 20 days until spring really begins (Easter is almost always the start of spring weather, here)

Baby Girl born 7/9/2014 at 34.5wks

Re: NBR: Spring garden! Gardeners

• Options
    Lilacs are blooming here! And other people's daffodils, but not mine yet. I'm looking forward to my hydrangeas too. So far everything else is just waking up...just perennials right now, ever since moving to our "new" house 3 years ago. Maybe we'll do a vegetable garden in a few years when DD wants to help plan one.
  • Options
    Our daffodils are all at my dad's house, but they were blooming over the weekend! And drowning a little, but small victories

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just bought some of our spring plants! They will be going in this week. We buy our plants at different times so I am able to get them planted while DS sleeps. My hydrangea is starting to get its leaves and our zoysia grass is greening up!

Our garden is still inside at the moment until the plants are bigger, but will be moved outside soon. DH is tilling the garden this week after work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our snow just melted last week. So far nothing green. I'm really hoping the crocus I planted come up, they always seem like the first sign of growth in the spring.

• Options
    My BF family business (largest greenhouse in our large surrounding area) gets the first truck of flowers on Thursday! So excited! Long summer for us he works 12 hr days 7 days a week but it's so fun!
  • Options
    Our daffodils have already come and gone. Our tulips are in full bloom now. Hostas are coming out now. Toad lilys are out. Rose bushes have a ton of new growth.

We planted some more azaleas and some blueberry bushes yesterday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options
    My hydrangea is getting leaves too and it looks like my dogwood tree is going to bloom soon.  Daylilies have been coming up for awhile but it will be another month before I see blooms.  Daffodils have been in bloom for awhile now and tulips are starting to come up.  I'm in Zone 8a so we should *hopefully* get our first strawberries by the end of the month and our spring/summer CSA starts up again in about 6 weeks!

• Options
    My mom said she's replanting some succulents for me.

Because....you know.....I killed the last ones.

:hangs head in shame:

Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    @KimZach2013 :  I am along the Chesapeake Bay. 
    My hydrangea is getting leaves too and it looks like my dogwood tree is going to bloom soon.  Daylilies have been coming up for awhile but it will be another month before I see blooms.  Daffodils have been in bloom for awhile now and tulips are starting to come up.  I'm in Zone 8a so we should *hopefully* get our first strawberries by the end of the month and our spring/summer CSA starts up again in about 6 weeks!
    My daylillies have definitely started taking off, leafwise, but not seeing the starts of any flowers yet.  My strawberries are still deciding whether they want to survive the winter or not, lol.

• Options
    We moved to a new state in July and new house in January and things constantly seem to be blooming but we are still discovering what they are... We might have a garden next year, but I have been told that raised beds are really the only way to go so I might start getting the soil ready this summer and I"m excited about having a big enough yard to compost without neighbors freaking out. 
  • Options
    NSAbbyNSAbby member
    edited April 2014
    stoofewok said:
    I honestly don't know the first thing about landscaping or gardening. Where have you ladies found information about what grows best in your area, which plants are low-cost, yet resilient, etc.? We live in a cold climate and our spring won't fully be upon us until the end of this month, early May...it's hard to know where to even begin! The people who owned the house before us did absolutely nothing and this yard needs some definite curb appeal!

Home Depot!  The guy in the tool department knows our names, and knows our yards by heart (mine and my dad's).  He has been invaluable with deciding which plants to get, and where to put them.  He also helped us to decide seeds over pre-grown plants (for most, but not all plants) for our gardens.

And if you have any other questions, I'm sure we can scrounge up an answer among the ladies here!

ETA: Dwarf Alberta Spruce is a great year-round plant that also seconds as a mini Christmas tree in your yard in December!  They are pretty difficult to kill!

• Options
    NSAbby said:

@KimZach2013 :  I am along the Chesapeake Bay. 

My daylillies have definitely started taking off, leafwise, but not seeing the starts of any flowers yet.  My strawberries are still deciding whether they want to survive the winter or not, lol.

Yeah the farm we do our CSA with was very worried after the last late season freeze but they think everything survived. I don't think the farmers slept until it was over. I hope your berries make it! I am craving local berries like crazy.

• Options
    2redtulips2redtulips member
    edited April 2014
    I have tulips, hyacinth, iris and daffodils popping up out front. The daffodils and hyacinth should bloom any day now, but the rest are still just green shoots. 

My spring veggie garden is in out back (carrots, beets, greens and peas), and the spinach, cabbage and arugula are starting to sprout. 

Indoors, I have tomatoes, bell peppers, strawberries and romaine lettuce starting in seed trays. Only the romaine has started to sprout so far, though. 

Love this time of year!

ETA: I am in zone 5a

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• Options
    stoofewok said:
    I honestly don't know the first thing about landscaping or gardening. Where have you ladies found information about what grows best in your area, which plants are low-cost, yet resilient, etc.? We live in a cold climate and our spring won't fully be upon us until the end of this month, early May...it's hard to know where to even begin! The people who owned the house before us did absolutely nothing and this yard needs some definite curb appeal!
    Home Depot is definitely good for some deals on plants, but I'd also go to a local, independent garden center for advice. The folks there will astound you with their knowledge of what works well for your area, plus they tend to have a wider variety of plants. 

Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• Options
    We are lucky to have a long growing season here in the South. I am already harvesting radishes and kale and have planted bush beans, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, green onions and watermelons. DH put in three new raised bed gardens for me in the front yard where we get the most sun so I have lots of room for planting this year! Very excited to watch all the little green things come up.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"