October 2014 Moms
Options

Hey Guys! Let's Talk About Poop.

Hi everyone! This is a HUGE getting to know me post, because I'm going to tell you all about my poop.

Constipation = New Norm for pregnant people. I get it.

So, after 3-4 weeks of it, and eventually straining so much I was scared I'd burst a blood vessel, I got some Colace. Everyone swears by it, and it's on the safe list, so I gave it a shot.

SWEET MOTHER. The bottle says take 1-6 pills a day. I'm SO glad I decided to only take one last night. It took about 24 hours to get to me, but the effect was the total opposite. Severe cramping and diarrhea, which, really seemed to resolve itself after 10 minutes in the bathroom, but it wasn't fun.

I did some reading, and I guess that's normal after being backed up a while (the diarrhea anyway). 

Now...I'm not sure if I should continue on the 1 Colace a day thing. I don't want to go back to being constipated. But I don't want to have diarrhea every day either. For now, I was thinking I'd stop until there's another issue (so, probably in 2-3 days). 

Does this sound like a good poop plan?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hey Guys! Let's Talk About Poop.

• Options

Hahahahaha...I pooped once every 3 days or so...I've had Colace before, not pretty!  But since I crossed over into the 10 week mark I started having the opposite of constipation....ughhhh....My body is so confused with itself right now!

If your experience was as bad as what I remember as far as the Colace goes, then I would rather be a once every 3 day pooper...

• Options
    I started eating watermelon on a daily basis and it has really helped the plumbing issues! Try getting more fiber in your diet if you can. Metamucil is a good alternative to the Colace as are prunes.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only take Colace when I really need it. I started drinking a small amount of Prune juice and it has helped so much.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input! Your 1-every-other-day plan sounds good to me. I AM a little spooked. That was not a fun time, dude. But I'll take another dose tomorrow night. Hopefully that regimine will work....fingers are crossed!
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I kept regular with prune juice. A little each night. I haven't had as many problems this time around, but the one time I did and drank a glass of prune juice I had a similar experience to what you described. I agree with PP that is the result when it gets really bad.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    At first I was going to reply with, "Nope", but then I thought I'd give you some actual advice. I don't know about this medication you mentioned. I do want to say that I take those fiber + calcium gummies before bed. I am regular every morning before my shower. You could also track your fiber intake by using a site like Calorie Count to see if you are getting your 25-30 grams a day. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    I started taking Colace when I got my first hemorrhoid. After about 3 days, I had HORRIBLE stomach cramping that actually woke me up and terrible diarrhea. Since then, I have yet to get my system back...I've kind of come to the conclusion that pregnancy hormones are just not going to allow me to have a normal poop until this child is out of me... 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    I say whatever gets you flowing! Hahah. I go about every 5 days or so, and I'm beginning to think I really should be taking something because I end up really nauseous and I'm not sure it's just hormones? I don't think being "backed up" helps your body to feel good.. I would try the every other day thing. I might be joining you my friend!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    1.So make sure you didn't get colase + lax

2. Try miralax at night, about 1/2 a cap if colase isn't working the way you want it. I personally do both but I have massive stomach issues even before pregnancy

3. Try prune juice also
  • Options
    jalara48 said:
    Colace is a stool softener, so it acts by drawing water into your intestines to soften everything up. If you've had ongoing constipation I really do recommend you continue taking it. One a day, or maybe ever 1 every other day.

The "end" of constipation normally happens that way. There's a poop blockage and once that's gone everything else just flows - often too much. But it's not a bad thing - it all needs to come out.

The worst thing you can do right now is get spooked by the diarrhea and end up constipated again.

THIS THIS THIS!
    Before I got pregnant I got backed up pretty severely. Ended up needing an enema. WORST PAIN EVER. So it definitely freaks me out now when I haven't gone in a day or so. I think the pain you had was from being backed  up, I would continue taking it maybe every other day just to see how it goes. 
    It might be just me, but I'd rather have looser stools than be backed up.
    Hope this helps!
    April Siggy Challenge: Favorite Flower- Dahlia

image   image
    Married July 2012
    TTC Since March of 2013
    First BFP: 1-26-14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have you tried doing a fiber supplement like Metamucil?  I choke down a glass every morning.  Things haven't been totally normal, but it has definitely helped take the edge off.  I hope  you're feeling better!

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Metamucil also helped me a few weeks ago. I took every other day. I have the opposite problem today. Every time I eat, I am running to the bathroom within the hour. Hoping this is normal and runs its course (no pun intended) :)

Me- 36 DH- 40 ***TTC since 1/13

BFP #1 - 4/3/13 *** EDD 12/13/13 ***M/C 4/12/13 @5wks 1 day

BFP#2 - 1/29/14 ***EDD 10/11/14

It's a GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Lots of good ideas.

I feel like I get a good bit of fiber in my diet, but it's obviously not enough to combat pregnancy. I think I'll get some metamucil and see if that does the trick before I continue on with Colace. Or, maybe go with every other day route.

The cramps were just SO BAD, I'm sort of terrified to go through that again. I mean, hopefully that is just a first-time thing, but I'm not looking forward to that again.

For those that do Metamucil, does it matter if I do the capsules or the powder? The powder does not sound like a good time.
  • Options
    I would first try adding fiber to my daily diet, apples, prunes, dried apricots and see if that helps.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I take 2 Colace daily and haven't had a poo still. It has been weeks. I finally used an enema last night, but it didn't clear much out. The cramps wake me up at night, too. One of the first things on my list to talk to the OB about.
  • Options
    SPurp13 said:

Lots of good ideas.

I feel like I get a good bit of fiber in my diet, but it's obviously not enough to combat pregnancy. I think I'll get some metamucil and see if that does the trick before I continue on with Colace. Or, maybe go with every other day route.

The cramps were just SO BAD, I'm sort of terrified to go through that again. I mean, hopefully that is just a first-time thing, but I'm not looking forward to that again.

For those that do Metamucil, does it matter if I do the capsules or the powder? The powder does not sound like a good time.

I've only done the powder, solely because it forces me to drink an extra glass of water in the morning. You're right...it's not a good time. I mix it and then let it set for a few minutes because it can be hard to mix, and getting a slimy solid piece will seriously ruin your day. I mix it with super cold water and add ice, and it's doable.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I take 2 Colace daily and haven't had a poo still. It has been weeks. I finally used an enema last night, but it didn't clear much out. The cramps wake me up at night, too. One of the first things on my list to talk to the OB about.

You could try a Suppository . I use them when I get desperate.
  • Options
    I was extremely backed up last night and bought Milk of Magnesia for instant relief and Colace for future trouble. I drank 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia last night and had a victory in the bathroom this morning! Hope everything works out for ya!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @SPurp13 I actually like the Metamucil cookies. Have some with a glass of milk or tea. It's like fiber, but a cookie. Who doesn't like cookies?

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    This has been the worst pregnancy for poop problems.  For me I take 2 teaspoons of benefiber in a big glass of water in the morning and 2 colace.  That seems to keep me pretty regular.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Anniversary
  • Options
    @SPurp13 I actually like the Metamucil cookies. Have some with a glass of milk or tea. It's like fiber, but a cookie. Who doesn't like cookies?
    Cookies you say. Now I'm listening.

I just feel like I eat a lot of fiber as it is. I eat two apples and a banana every day as far as fruit goes, then a pile of carrots with hummus for lunch, and at least twice a week, we have huge spinach salads.

I have some Fiberone brownie thingers at home. I guess I could give those a shot again. I sort of forgot they were in the cupboard until you mentioned cookies.
  • Options
    I was eating prunes, fiber one cereal, and metamucil and it was working great.....THEN...the perinatoligist (sp?) put me on extra iron b/c I am pregnant with twins. Now the constipation is back and worse.  Metamucil is definitely helping!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Options

I've been taking stool softeners every few days. But I remember someone on the March 14 board mentioned a remedy their doc told them: 1 cup applesauce, 1 cup unprocessed bran, 3/4 cup prune juice. Mixed together it forms a paste that you take 1-2 tbs daily with a full glass of water. I never tried it mostly b/c I never found the bran. And my constipation hasn't been as bad this time around, thank goodness.

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    Wino411 said:

I've been taking stool softeners every few days. But I remember someone on the March 14 board mentioned a remedy their doc told them: 1 cup applesauce, 1 cup unprocessed bran, 3/4 cup prune juice. Mixed together it forms a paste that you take 1-2 tbs daily with a full glass of water. I never tried it mostly b/c I never found the bran. And my constipation hasn't been as bad this time around, thank goodness.

I just don't know if I can handle the prune juice. I'm willing to try it, but I could DEFINITELY put down some applesauce! I used to eat that every day at lunch. Maybe I'll give that a go. I'm looking at my overall Fiber intake, and it has to be at least 35-40 grams, but I'm just going to make a conscious effort at adding in even more and see what happens.
  • Options
    Sometimes I eat what I know will cause me to go to the bathroom. The upsetsstomach is not fun but....I would rather know I am going to the bathroom is a good thing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Benefiber has no taste, unlike metamucil. I buy the off-brand and mix it in with my drink in the morning and I'm good to go. Of course, since I've been eating so much cheese, I've had to also increase my fiber intake, so I've been taking more of it. -sigh- Also, brussel sprouts are a sure fire way to clear out my system. I love them, so it works for me. :) Broccoli would be a good alternative.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I went with @jalara48's idea of taking one pill every other day. Took one last night. I'm terrified of what tonight brings (it took about 24 hours last time), but I did go a little this morning...so I'm hoping this is not as traumatic.

I have never talked so much about my poop with a million strangers. I SWEAR. But, my husband's tired of hearing about it, I think.
  • Options
    Thanks! I drink at least 80 oz of water a day, plus other things (I've been having a hot cocoa in the morning and a ginger ale at night. I know that doesn't necessarily help as far as water, but it's liquid, so it probably doesn't hurt a ton). I started doing that when I started trying to lose weight a long time ago, and that habit stuck, so I'm good during the week. I try to get at least 60 oz. on weekends. But I can aim for more.

I was thinking more water might be good for my skin, which is nuts right now, too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"