May 2014 Moms
Options

Back pain- NOT low back

Hi ladies! I hope everyone is hanging in and feeling ok. I am having some rough back pain mostly on my right side but sometimes on the left behind my ribs and under/around my shoulder blades. I go to the chiro. My ob wrote me a script for pt so I'm doing that, I got a massage Friday - trying everything I can. I thought it might be worth a post on here to see if anyone else has/has had this kinda pain and if you have any advice for relief. Thanks!

Re: Back pain- NOT low back

• Options
    Being on my feet for long periods of time definitely aggravates my back. Are you standing a lot during the day?
  • Options
    Wearing a more supportive bra helps me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have back pain in the location you describe from time to time. Usually (though not always) when my stomach is full or I'm really bloated. It's not a typical muscle pain but more like a tight, pulling sort of pain. Drinking a lot of water and reclining tends to help relax it, while also keeping my back as straight as I can.

When I've been on my feet too long, it's my lower back and hips that hurt.
  • Options
    I'm getting pain in my mid-upper back and I think it's from sitting all day. I have natural G cups pre-pregnancy, so I don't even know what size they are now and I think the weight is causing strain.

I've found that getting on my knees and leaning across a gym ball really helps. It just takes all that strain off your back. If you can, get DH to massage you while you're on the ball. It feels so much better when you stand up.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    Do you know if baby is head up or head down?  I had that with DS and it was his head pressing on things.  Once he got into position (head down) I didn't have the pain any more.

• Options
    I get it on both sides under my shoulder blades. Heat and/or Tylenol usually takes care of it. But I also have swollen kidneys, so I'm not sure sometimes if it is my kidneys or back pain. I think it is back pain because I used to get it before I was pregnant.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. Sitting is the position that causes it. Standing or laying does not aggravate it or cause it but it also doesn't immediately alleviate it. The chiro says its the strain on my back cus of my belly. The pt says my thoracic spine isn't moving well and putting more pressure on my already expanding ribs. Idk it would be awesome if its her head and when she flips it goes away! I will try switching my bra too... This one is on its last leg anyway.
  • Options
    I don't know yet if she is head up or down they couldn't tell at my last appointment
  • Options
    If you wear your bra bands very tight usually- try going to a looser setting. I was getting some rib compression pain from wearing my bra at the tightest setting. Obviously won't help if you wear them loose anyway, but it was a non intuitive thing that I finally had a lightbulb moment for last week. Also, Tylenol, massages, and a little heating pad can all really help.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Options
    I had this for two weeks and it was seriously debilitating. I couldn't sleep because lying down was the most painful position.

I agree with what everyone is saying. In my case what helped (in addition to massage, heat, Tylenol) was straining my back as little as possible to the point that I felt useless. If you carry a big bag, try carrying less and if you wear a purse over a shoulder- absolutely try holding it in your hand. This made a huge difference for me. If I forget and wear my purse over my shoulder, my pain comes back though not as bad. Also depending on the demands on you, see if you can really rest for a couple days. Like do not lift anything or bend at all (like not even emptying the dishwasher)- if possible just until it's better. I hope you feel better soon. Back pain is so consuming!
  • Options
    Same pain here. I also get it from sitting. Mine is all my left side of my ribs in the front and back. I have a homedics back massager that helps loosen up my muscles. Doesn't fix it but can help with light heat.
  • Options
    Typically for me that means a rib is out or my thoracics aren't moving right. The chiro fixes me right up. A couple of months ago I had issues with my ribs going out within moments of them putting them back in so they taped me and it helped support my ribs and hold everything in. If it's your thoracics and the chiro isn't trying to get them moving again then I would be looking for a new chiro.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    BTW my LO has been head down since at least 31 weeks and I still get upper/mid back pain on the reg.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"