Adoption

When did you tell work?

My direct manager has known for a while that we were planning to adopt, and a number of co-workers saw my initial blog post in January so they know that we are in the process of adopting.  By no means is it a secret.   I just told my senior director and another director, in the context of requesting a meeting be rescheduled as I am leaving "early" tomorrow to attend training.    I'm curious when others told their workplace that they were adopting?   
Started foster to adopt application process January 2014

Re: When did you tell work?

• Where I work they are very supportive of family, so I let them know when we started the certification process for foster to adopt.  Although, this was just an extention of the conversation that we were going through infertility and the losses I've had.  I've been incredibly lucky to have work support behind me.

• DH's boss was a reference, so he knew when we started. I told my work when our profile went active.

DD was placed with us at 2 days old. That was a hectic day with HR!
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't really help because I work for my family business (Grandfather, mom, dad, brother, 2 uncles, 2 cousins) plus some people I've known since I was little so after DH's DX and surgery, they knew what our next step was.  

GL! 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
    J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
    November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
    January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
    February 2014: "Officially Waiting"
  • My boss knew about my fertility struggles from missing work when I've had miscarriages and when we started seeing an RE.. So when we picked an agency and started paperwork, I told her (and my co-workers in my department) about it.  I told HR about it b/c my HR director needed to fill out a form for us.  Whenever other co-workers in my company ask me if I have any kids, I've started telling them that we are in the adoption process.. So no huge announcement, but just slowly sharing the news with my co-workers.

My husband works for his friends, so they all knew anyways. :P
    image   image   image
    TTC since 2010 | 3 miscarriages | Diagnosed with stage IV endo | Adopted our little girl Aug 25, 2014

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks for asking this question, I've been wondering as well. I work in a male dominated field that isn't exactly family friendly and I'm just by sure what to do.
    I work for an IT company so the majority of the people I work with are men.   The company is family friendly though so I wasn't too worried about sharing the information.  
    Started foster to adopt application process January 2014
  • I told my supervisors when our homestudy was approved. I wanted them to know since I knew I was quitting to SAH once we were placed, and that could have (and did!) happened with little notice.
  • We needed work references so they knew when our home study was in process...at work now the people who know our profile is active are those that would be most affected by my leave. FMLA is handled through a vendor company so totally separate- I had to request it already with a date and just have to keep delaying it.
  • I told my department chair when we were matched and doing schedules for this semester and once I had cleared parental leave hurdles with HR. She then announced it to the entire department
    :|
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I interviewed for a new job while we were waiting, so I shared with them in my second interview. Mostly to get a feel for how much time off they would allow me if it happened before I was eligible for benefits. We were matched just 3.5 months later, so they were expecting it.
    I became a mother because of adoption. She is the absolute love of my life. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker formerly known as sw_in_kc
  • Everyone at work has known from pretty much the time we started the adoption process.  They knew my history being hospitalized and having surgery for an ectopic pregnancy, so when they started asking when we were going to try again, I took the opportunity to tell them we were adopting instead.  My boss ended up writing a reference letter, so it was no secret by that point. 
    Son #1 - September '09
    Son #2 - October '11
    Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation
  • I told my boss after our agency application was accepted.  I knew I'd be taking time off for the homestudy and thought our profile would go active relatively quickly once things got rolling.  I told 1 co-worker about our adoption plans, but only because he happened to ask if I had any kids yet and shared that he and his wife had adopted.  Once we were matched I had about 1 month notice before the EDD, so then I announced it to everyone at work.
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're pursuing adoption through the state DCF system, so I'm planning to tell my manager whenever we find out that classes are going to start because I'm going to have to leave work early on those days.
    Happily married Mom to 2 beautiful little girls, 2 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues), 2 fish and one 29 year-old firebelly newt.
    ~ Hoping to add to our family by adoption via Connecticut DCF. Application submitted on 2/4/14. First home visit on 6/23/14. Started class 11/17/14.~

• I let my boss know as soon as we "officially" signed with our agency. At that time they had a lot of B-Mom's and were matching families pretty quickly. We also said we'd be open to a "fall in your lap" placement so I really wanted her to know that at any time I could call and say our LO has arrived I'm going on maternity leave now. I did however, ask her not to share theinformation with others. I let the human resources department know and filled out some paperwork for them. After that I waited to tell anyone until we were matched.

• I am interning with a small company right now (I'm a grad student) that is considering hiring me. All the owners are men although they have kids. I have not said anything about our plans because I don't want it to influence (consciously or unconsciously) their decision.  I figure once there is an actual offer I will say something because our agency will need them to fill out an employment form. It will change our home study write up and profile book so there is no way I can hide it. 

Basically, they are on a need to know basis and right now they do not need to know. 
    Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • The first time I adopted, I told my boss when I started the process, and the director and HR when my dossier was sent to Peru.  Since I was asking for six months off after we came home in addition to the time I needed to be in Peru and complete the adoption, I laid out a transition plan to help them understand that I was committed to my job, would not leave them in the lurch overnight, and ease the blow.

I did something similar the second time we adopted, but I don't think I gave them as much lead-time, because we knew J and were seeking to adopt him, specifically, which sped up our process considerably.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"