May 2014 Moms
Options

where's the baby seat go!?

so I installed my baby seat behind the passenger side and my husbands all excited so he took a pic and put it on fb and everyone said it's supposed to be in the middle. I'm searched online and I'm hearing mixed opinions.... what are you guys doing?

Re: where's the baby seat go!?

• Options
    Everything I read said to put it in the middle or passenger side. I'm going with the middle.
    BabyFetus Ticker 

• Options
    For our first, she was in the middle.  This baby will be on the passenger side because it won't fit in the middle with DD's seat on one of the sides (DD is on the driver side). 

Technically, the middle is going to be safer because there is less of a risk from side impact crashes, but it's really up to you - if you'd prefer it on a side, that's fine too.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Depends on the car. I have a highlander and the middle seat doesn't have the LATCH so that's not the best option. I looked through the manual and it didn't specify a side but it did say not to put a rear facing seat behind the driver if it's going to touch the back of your seat while you're driving. I'd probably prefer the driver's side for the convenience of getting the seat out (not having to walk around the car) but I wouldn't be able to get the seat out when the car is in the garage. So passenger side it is!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    likeabel said:

Depends on the car. I have a highlander and the middle seat doesn't have the LATCH so that's not the best option. I looked through the manual and it didn't specify a side but it did say not to put a rear facing seat behind the driver if it's going to touch the back of your seat while you're driving. I'd probably prefer the driver's side for the convenience of getting the seat out (not having to walk around the car) but I wouldn't be able to get the seat out when the car is in the garage. So passenger side it is!

LATCH isn't necessarily any safer than using a seatbelt, FYI. It's whichever you personally can get a better install with. I used a seatbelt with DDs seats until she went forward facing a few months ago because I could get a better install that way.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    We have one in one car in the middle and one in the other on the passenger side. The one on the passenger cannot be installed in the middle. Both are installed using LATCH.
    We chose the passenger side because the seat is a bench with a 70/30 split so we can still utilize the bigger side when folded down and car seat installed. It had nothing to do with one side being safer than the other.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My pediatrician says the longest that they can stay in the middle the better.
  • Options

Number two will go behind the passenger.  DD is behind the driver.  Middle is safest in some cars (depends on the car - check the car and car seat manuals), but it's not true that the middle is the only place an infant seat can be installed.

Exactly this ^
  • Options
    California Highway Patrol installed the car seat in the middle of the back seat.  Its where the latch system was and also I could install the baby mirror so I can see the reflection in my rear view mirror. 
  • Options
    Check your car manual. It will specify whether you can install in the middle or not. DD is currently in the middle, but once we have 2 babies in car seats we will have one on each side.
    motoLyn said:
    California Highway Patrol installed the car seat in the middle of the back seat.  Its where the latch system was and also I could install the baby mirror so I can see the reflection in my rear view mirror. 

Those baby mirrors are not recommended and can be unsafe because they can fly off during an accident and hit your baby.
  • Options
    @lica001 thanks for the heads up, no one told me of this. 
  • Options
    We have DD behind the passenger seat. We currently have 2 small cars and DH can't fit to drive with her behind the driver. I am 5'7" and my knees are on the dash. Her seat won't fit in the middle with having to move the seats back.

If you do install in the middle with latch, make sure your car has 3 separate latch anchor sets or that both you car and car seat manufacturer allow latch borrowing (one from each side). A lot of times you have to install in the middle with the seat belt due to this.

• Options
    You need to read both your car manual and the car seat manual.  My car says to install the seat on either the passenger or drivers side, not the middle.  I put mine on the passenger side because a requirement of my car seat was that it cannot touch the front seat.  Since I am tall I need my seat positioned as far back as it will go, so drivers side was not an option.
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    edited April 2014
    It's in the middle in both our cars-our two older kids are both in boosters and they need the shoulder belts.

ETA: words are hard
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    When it was just DD, she was in the middle. Now with a van (and 2 kids) they will be by the doors.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    This is our first, so we're planning on the middle. However, we have a certified tech in our town at the police department and I plan on having that person do the install.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    Middle shouldn't be used if it's infront of a moving arm rest I read somewhere. Personally in our suv I can not reach to the middle to get babe in and out safely so passanger side it is bc when DH drives he's gotta be farther back and it doesn't fit properly. An expert told us to have a hand slide between the back of the seat and the car seat for proper fit minimum.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Preferably in the car, but I'm flexible on that.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Miles2GoMiles2Go member
    edited April 2014
    You don't need a car seat for the golf cart, silly.

But I might use bungee cords to attach it to the back of a motorcycle. Or are side cars still a thing? Hmmm

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The FF convertible is behind the driver and the infant on the passenger. This works best because DH often drives and he requires that the seat be all the way back. When it was just one car seat, it went on the passenger side since at the time we both drove stick and DH didn't want to compromise his ability to drive.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    Unless your car or car seat specifically state to put it on one side or another, one has not been proven to be safer than the other. Each has its benefits and drawbacks. Middle is supposed to be best. 

We have DD's seat on the drivers side in my car, and passenger side in DH's car, bc thats where they fit best. Now w 2 kids, one will have to be on each side in both cars. I couldn't reach the middle seat comfortably in my car to put her there. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    in the car
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"