April 2014 Moms
Options

Blood pressure question for pre-e mamas

I see my doctor in the morning so I want to be prepared when I bring up my BP. I go to my appointments early, before 9:00. I've had some new swelling the last few days, puffy face and my hands feel arthritic and go numb from fluid, so I decided to check my BP last night and it was 146/81. I'm usually around 110/75 at the highest. So I took it again this morning and it was higher, 156/80. An hour later it was 110/81.

My question is this....if I go to the doctor in the morning and my BP is normal and assuming urine is good as it has been, do I push the whole my BP has been high later in the day thing? Is it typical that your BP is normal in the morning and higher during the day? She tends to just go by the BP and urine as they are in the office and I want to be able to say, well it seems pretty common that its low in the a.m. and higher later. Thanks so much!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Blood pressure question for pre-e mamas

• Options
    This is how my BP has been and symptoms since 34 weeks...I brought it up, as should you. My. BO and tests consistently come back negative and my BP is never high at my appointment. My doctor said this is just how pregnancy is going for me. I am super swollen hands feet and face, and that's normal for me. Obviously I am not a doctor, and only your doctor can diagnose you. Bring it up, if they choose to do the tests then there you have it, if not don't worry. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. That would be on par with my blood sugar. All tests but my one hour cane back normal but I consistently have sugar in my urine. No GD. Its just how my pregnancy is going. I plan to bring it up I just wasn't sure how hard to press if she dismisses it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Def bring it up as pre e and high bp can take a dramatic turn quickly. Or be fine til
    You deliver. But just in case bring it up as they will want to probably do a 24 hour urine catch and start watching you a little more closely
  • Options
    @MrsMeatball41‌
    That's what I'm afraid of, that it will suddenly be high. Thank you for the advice. I know I'm not perfectly at 140/90 but my systolic is far enough over for my taste and makes me nervous.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have had EVERY "sign" of pre-e, high bp, floaters, swelling, headaches etc etc the one thing I haven't had? protein in my urine! Without that..you do NOT have pre-e
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Good to know!! I had to go to the ER for something unrelated and the doctor scared me telling me that his wife had everything but BP and protein (so no pre-e) until she went into labor and then it was like wildfire. Everything went south quick. With both kids. He told me to be extra careful and watch it but when I told my doctor she said don't worry. Now I'm having BP changes and his words are resonating way more than... Don't worry!! I just wanted to hear some experiences before I go in tomorrow and overreact.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited April 2014
    @snmetz7‌
    What you said made me google preeclampsia diagnosis and I found this interesting article about new acog guidelines for diagnosing it that do not require protein in the urine, stating that damage can be done to the kidneys and liver without signs of protein. It may be something you want to bring up to your doctor.
    https://www.preeclampsia.org/the-news/3-newsflash/299-new-guidelines-in-preeclampsia-diagnosis-and-care-include-revised-definition-of-preeclampsia

@eme520‌ Am I understanding this article correctly? If you don't mind!!! :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    BP is usually higher in the afternoon at least with me especially if I have been active during the day. I would mention it to the doc but it doesn't mean you have pre-e. You would have to have protein in your urine which they check for every time you pee on the cup.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have mild pre-e and my MW did tell me at my last appt that you do not need any of the other criteria (protein in urine, elevated uric acid, elevated liver enzymes, other symptoms, etc.) to be diagnosed with pre-e. This is fairly new, but apparently high bp is all that matters. I was diagnosed with a bp of 144/88 and a 24 hr protein level of 316. You do not "need" to have your diastolic be above 90. My urine dip (the test they do at every appt) was always, and still is, negative for protein. The 24 hr levels are far more conclusive. With that being said, a diagnosis would totally depend on your doctor and your situation. It's great that you are in tune with your body, definitely bring up your concerns with your doctor and hopefully you can come up with a plan together. Good luck!
  • Options
    @Heidiman‌ - thank you for posting that link! Very interesting and must have been what my MW was referring to.
  • Options
    With my blood pressure scare today (156/110) they did a LOT of tests to rule out pre-e. If your doctor suspects it, it won't just be a urine test. They performed a NST, monitored my BP every 10mins for an hour, baby's heart rate, ultrasound for movement and amniotic fluid measurements, and took about four vials of blood to test platelets, liver and kidney damage. It was incredibly thorough.

For me, everything came back great and my BP had dropped to 100/59 by the time I left, but that's why they do so many tests to rule it out. The new guidelines may not require protein in the urine for a diagnosis, but it's a huge indicator. I would bring up your concerns but ultimately trust your doctor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"