Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How many ounces should a 12 pound baby drink?

My LO is 12 pounds and drinks 4oz every 2-3 hours. Lately it seems like she wants more. Her ped told us that we should keep her at 4oz. She doesnt sleep thru the night yet so Im thinking to start allowing her to have 5oz at bedtime hoping that she sleeps longer. she is 9 weeks today. 

Re: How many ounces should a 12 pound baby drink?

• Breastmilk or formula?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that the AAP recommends 2.5 oz per pound in a 24-hour period, so around 30 oz per day for a 12 pound baby. I don't know if increasing the intake at bedtime will help, but if you're within the recommended intake then it might not hurt.
  • DD was 12lbs at 2 months. We were feeding 4oz every 3 hours, with 3 feedings in the night one at 1am and 5am. She is almost 3 months and about 14lbs, we are feeding a total of 5-6 ounces through 6 feedings, she only has one night feeding at about 1-2am.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• 3 months and 12 lbs is taking 4-6oz every 3-6 hours currently.

Normally it's 4 roughly every 4 but sometimes he is still hungry and we offer another 2. If he eats it fine, if not, that's ok too.

He also takes a few ounces of just water every now and then through the day.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • My baby is 9.5 weeks also and weighs about 13lbs now. He's been eating 5oz consistently every 3-4hrs during the day for about a week now. My ped said up to 6oz is ok (he's formula fed). And he just started sleeping around 4.5-6 hrs in the last 3 or 4 days. Goodluck!
  • He went to the dr today for his first ear infection and his weight is up to 13-10.

His pedi said there was no problem with him having some water (nursery water, not tap water) every now and then instead of formula. She said that sometimes they just want a little something in their belly and it does not always have to have formula mixed in to make them satisfied. Our parents were the ones that started it, not us but they did the same to us when we were that age and we survived it.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Hang in there. I literally remember at 9 weeks my little guy was still waking up randomly through the night and i was panicked that he would NEVER sleep through the night and I was due back at work in 3 weeks, and though HOW THE HECK AM I GOING TO DO THIS? 

My little is breast feed as well, and it's hard to tell how much they are eating when they are BF. I started to give him a bottle at night before he went to bed. Not only to get him used to a bottle as he would soon be in daycare but to also fill up his belly before bed in hopes that he would sleep long. And before I knew it, he was sleeping longer. YAY!!! he is now 3 months and wakes once at night to nurse. 

Hang in there! It does get better! one day at a time, is what I would tell myself! Their little bellies can only hold so much but before you know it you will be getting more sleep and you won't feel like a crazy person- at least that's how I felt! 
  • My FF 9 week, 13 pound baby eats 4-5 oz every 2-3 hrs except during one good stretch of sleep between 9pm and 2 am.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"