September 2013 Moms
Options

i need sleep advice

I know this topic is probably brought up daily, but nothing seems to be working. 

She just turned 6 months yesterday and is a wonderful sleeper.....when swaddled...the problem once she wiggles her hands out she is awake, and only goes back to sleep if she is picked up and reswaddled and cuddled back to sleep. If we put her in bed awake she just wiggles and wiggles until her hands are free and then it is a never ending cycle, so it is just makes sense to rock her to sleep in the middle of the night. She typically sleeps from 7:30pm to 7:30am, with a wake up every single night like clockwork @ 2am. My husband is ready for her to be moved into her room at night but I won't put her in there until she is swaddle free. All week we have been doing naps in her room with one arm out, and she will sleep for 30 minutes maximum, every single time. So now she is barely napping in the day and is absolutely exhausted at bed time. We don't go and get her out of her room as soon as she wakes up, we let her hang out in her crib but she flails around and around and then gets really mad. Not like whining but like really angry crying. 

Her room is dark for sleep times, she has a ceiling fan, and a sleep sheep.

I am not fully convinced that the CIO method is something I am prepared to do. So I guess I am just looking for any tips or tricks that worked for you.

Thanks!

Re: i need sleep advice

• Options
    We actually quit the swaddle cold turkey. Maybe it's the slow transitioning that's bugging her?

With us, it turned out that she just wanted to roll over and sleep on her belly. It was a lot less traumatic than I expected. Good luck!
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Options
    We got the SwaddleMe and that worked for us. I just swaddle him with one arm out of that and he has slept better. Mine is a terrible sleeper though. One night something will work and I will be proud for figuring it out. The next night it will be a fight for sleep all over again.
    Oh yeah, you could also try the MMSS. Some people say it helps a lot. It worked a couple nights for us, but didn't last.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we tried cold turkey...no dice, so we thought transitioning might be better!
  • Options
    we are currently using the SwaddleMe and trying with one arm out, but it isn't easy
  • Options
    When we stopped swaddling, I was advised to try gently holding LO's arms down until she fell asleep. I was skeptical, but I actually did have some success with this approach.
  • Options
    We had to try going cold turkey on the swaddle a few times before LO took to the idea. She was never really swaddled for naps but always at night. DH always would say her evil hands would wake her up, once she got her hands under control we haven't had a problem sleeping without the swaddle. I would suggest to keep trying, babies change everyday and your LO may surprise you one day.

Also, do you think your LO may be getting uncomfortable in the swaddle and that's why she's wiggly? I remember my LO being like that quite often before we went cold turkey successfully, many mornings I would find her with the swaddle down around her chest with her hands or arms out (she would even wake in the middle of the night like this crying). I really think she just needed to be able to adjust herself during the night.
  • Options
    It honestly took us a few cracks at it to finally ditch the swaddle...tried cold turkey, that was a huge failure, ended up double swaddling for a while. Then he outgrew the swaddle mes and was breaking out of them and waking up. So I switched to a halo sleep sack with swaddle and went one arm out for like a month. Finally last weekend he was sleeping like absolute shit anyways so I threw the sleep sack off in frustration and he's been sleeping swaddle free for a week now. It's not 100% back to good but I can lay him down and he'll toss and turn till he falls asleep. Hang in there, you'll get through!
  • Options
    For us, he just needed to feel secure so we did a sleep sack and rolled up towels on either side of him under the fitted sheet. He now sleeps w the sack only but because it's still cold here.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I have tried holding her legs down a little because she lifts them up and slaps them down, we call it beaver tailing!! Maybe I will try her arms.

I suppose she could be getting uncomfortable, but I don't think so, she loves to be swaddled, she just wiggles around so much while she's sleeping. 

We shall keep trying!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"