December 2013 Moms

Sick and breastfeeding

So I started feeling pretty crappy at work today....headache, very tired, some chills, nausea (no vomiting). When I got home, my temp was 99.9. I read on Kellymom that you should continue to nurse but I'm thinking that, apart from feedings, I should stay away from LO. What would you do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sick and breastfeeding

• By the time you began experiencing symptoms LO was already exposed. A few weeks back I had a cold but did not limit my contact with LO and he never got anything. Your body is producing antibodies and they will be transferred to LO through your breastmilk.
    This. I'm not saying breastfed babies are bulletproof, but, well... we went through 3 straight rounds of colds in our house that *everyone* got, including me, and DD2 was unscathed.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone. I'm so paranoid it's mastitis because both boobs feel tender if I press on them. No redness though.

• utlawgirl said:
    By the time you began experiencing symptoms LO was already exposed. A few weeks back I had a cold but did not limit my contact with LO and he never got anything. Your body is producing antibodies and they will be transferred to LO through your breastmilk.
    This. I'm not saying breastfed babies are bulletproof, but, well... we went through 3 straight rounds of colds in our house that *everyone* got, including me, and DD2 was unscathed.

Same here. I had a virus 2 weeks ago which consisted of a sore throat so bad I thought it was strep. It wasn't, but I was still scared LO would get it. She stayed totally healthy. DD1 also had a slight stomach bug (just diarrhea) a few weeks ago which I was also scared LO would get, but she didn't. Aside from the RSV she had at 3 weeks, she's been quite healthy. Gotta love those antibodies!
  • Do any other bf'ers get tender boobs?

• I hate to ask the obvious question, but are you using reliable birth control? Or have you started your period again yet? Could be your cycle returning.
      norathe girlsamelia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"