June 2013 Moms
Options

Small Kitchen owners- please join!

I posted this on the fb page, but me and DH are considering on buying a house that doesn't have many cabinets. It's a decent sized kitchen (eat-in), but the space isn't utilized as it should be. It sucks, there's only 3 upper cabinets, and 7 lower. 

We would ultimately rip it out and start over, and add cabinets to an unused wall. We probably won't do this for another few years, but in the meantime, what should we do? What about a kitchen cart or hutch? I'd appreciate it if you could send me pics of your kitchen, and how you manage. 

Thanks!

image image
imageimage

Re: Small Kitchen owners- please join!

• Options
    That's what I was thinking. I was browsing and Ikea also has pre-made cabinets that stand. No installation or anything, which is nice. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    cafecremecafecreme member
    edited March 2014
    This is the kitchen, about as big as yours @VASC

Wanted to add that there's an empty wall across from the fridge, 7 feet long and 1.5 feet deep. Definitely enough to put something there. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MufflerloveMufflerlove member
    edited March 2014
    We bought an ikea cabinet for our blank wall. We use it as a pantry and cleaning supplies. We also have a small galley kitchen like VASCs. It is NOT big enough but the cabinet helps a bit. We have a lot of stuff though. We also have a hutch in the dining area.

ETA I would get an island of some type if you can because that not only adds storage but counter space too! I always need more counter space.
  • Options
    I can't find a pic right now, but the house we sold in Dec was like that. Pretty decent square footage, just terrible use of space. I put open a Ikea Expedit (8 cube) shelf horizontally along one unused wall. Used the top as extra counter space (it housed my coffee station, basket of teas, and a few other things) then used the cubes underneath for storage - some with baskets and then others just held larger kitchen appliances. We also put a Ikea Groland Island in the center to give some extra prep space.

We ended up keeping the island and using it in our new place.  The bottom shelf makes a great play space for LO.  It no longer is used for useful storage, instead I have random Tupperware and toys on it and she plays and plays at that thing while I get a couple min to get supper started/do the dishes/etc
    div style="text-align: center;">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had a minuscule kitchen in an apartment when I lived on my own. If you are worried about feeling closed in, I would suggest open shelving on the blank wall. I ended up taking the doors off some of my cabinets when I lived there because it was just too claustrophobic with them. I only had 3 upper cabinets and one under the sink. It's possible to make it work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I like the idea if using an old dresser or book shelves. They could be turned into an island or used up against the empty wall you were talking about. Here's a few pictures a googled.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"