Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Wake LO from a later than usual afternoon nap?

Just wondering what you all would do.  DH and I have been arguing about this for the last hour or so.

We took LO out to an early lunch with some family.... to make a long story short the restaurant had V E R Y slow service and we were incredibly late getting back home.. which made us pretty late for his afternoon nap. He normally goes does down between 12:00-12:15 and we didn't get home until about 1:10.  He was apparently either over-tired or just very awake and after battling him for about 45 minutes I gave up on the nap.

So, we realized we just had to suck it up and we'd go without an afternoon nap (LO is 19 months).  We have NEVER missed an afternoon nap before, so we were worried about the crankiness, needing to go to bed way early and possibly a really early wake up tomorrow.  Anyway, since he was so awake we decided to go run some errands and he fell almost immediately asleep when we drove away from the house.  It was now 2:00

DH wanted to just continue on our way and wake him back up and I wanted to go back home and let him nap even though it was later than normal.  I suggested we'd wake him if he slept to long so as not to mess up bed time.

So.. my question is:

1. Would you have pushed for skipping the nap all together or would you have returned home to let him sleep?
  2. If you returned home to let him sleep, would you wake him after a certain time?
  3. Or, I suppose option 3.. which is may be something we hadn't considered?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Relationship Humor Blog: The Hubby Diaries

Re: Wake LO from a later than usual afternoon nap?

• Options

I would have let him sleep in the car for an hour or so, either while running errands or sitting in the driveway.

Though, if I'm being perfectly honest, I never would have attempted to run errands with a young toddler who missed their nap.

This.
    DD never stays asleep if we take her out of the car.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would have let him sleep in the car for an hour or so, either while running errands or sitting in the driveway. Though, if I'm being perfectly honest, I never would have attempted to run errands with a young toddler who missed their nap.
    This. DD never stays asleep if we take her out of the car.

Same here. I have yet to be able to get DS out of the car while sleeping since we moved up to the convertible car seat. I would just run the errands and let him sleep. Probably let DH stay in the car with him or vice versa depending on the stops.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD has one nap that begins about noon. Sometimes she will push it back. Even if it starts at 4, I will still let her sleep her usual 3 hours. She usually goes to bed pretty late 8-9pm but it's worse if she skips a nap and becomes overtired. If I let her nap, even late even part of her nap, she sleeps better come bedtime.

To answer your question, I would have let DH run the errands without me and the baby or I would have stayed in the car with the baby while DH went in to wherever.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I would have probably just had one of us stay in the car while LO slept. The chances of them staying asleep while you're in a store is pretty unlikely and waking them up to go in the store can't go all that well.

• Options
    Sometimes you have to just let go of your sleep nazi tendencies and allow the shorter nap in car. I hate doing it, but it doesn't happen often. One day here and there might take a little work to get them back on track, but won't be completely disastrous.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"