October 2014 Moms

NBR: Any New Englanders?

DH and I are thinking of doing a long weekend in Newport, RI for our anniversary this summer.  Anyone familiar with the area have any tips on places to stay/eat/visit?  I've heard I MUST do the mansion cliffwalk.  There look to be some decent packages on their tourism website too.  Would love to hear any suggestions from bumpies who've been there or live near there!
PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  

Re: NBR: Any New Englanders?

• Newport is a great city! I dont think you can go wrong. The mansions are a definite and there are a ton of great places to shop and eat at near the water. Im envious. You'll have a great time!

• Thanks, @flyinmommy!  I am hoping the weather is nice that weekend because I really want to do the cliffwalk now that I'm reading more about it.
    PM me for blog link!

• Loading the player...
  • SusieBWSusieBW member
    edited March 2014
    I'm from RI!
    Cliffwalk is lovely, and definitely worth an afternoon if the weather is nice.  A lot of the mansions offer tours, as well, but I think The Breakers is the most popular.  A drive out Ocean Drive is also worth it, but unless you stop off to take pictures an/or explore the shore, it's a quick ride.  Fort Adams is a state park in Newport, and it's pretty cool.  It's a Revolutionary War fort, supposed to be haunted, etc., but also hosted America's Cup trials a year or so ago, and is hosting some other pretty major sailing events in the next few years.  It's right at the mouth of the bay and the views are lovely.  For nightlife, there are a million bars and clubs and stuff, but the Newport Blues Cafe is almost always a sure bet for good live music, if you're into that.  Everywhere you want to go on a summer weekend will be charging a cover, FYI.  And there will likely also be a bachelorette party there.  LOL!

Brunch at Castle Hill is amazing, and I've heard it's a lovely place to stay, too, but it's pretty pricey.  I'm told Mama Luisa is some of the best Italian food in the state (and RI is known as much for our Italian food as we are for our seafood, so it's a pretty huge compliment), but I've never been.  I've always been a fan of the Brick Alley Pub, but it's more of a casual restaurant - not sure what you're looking for.

If I were staying as a tourist, I would try and stay somewhere right downtown, like the Marriott or the Harbor Hotel, or at one of the B&Bs on Thames or Spring Street.

It's a great city!  I hope you have so much fun!  Let me know if you have any questions or anything as you're planning your trip, I'm happy to help if I can.

Oh!  One other thing - please don't judge RI's beaches by Newport, though.  We have some beautiful beaches, but the ones in Newport are not the best.  They're fine, and if you're going, I'd try and go to Johnny's Atlantic Beach Club (in Middletown, but it might as well be Newport), because it makes for a more fun day at the beach.  Flo's clam shack is across the street from there, too, and it's delish!

ETA: OMG, sorry that turned into a novel!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh my gosh, @susiebw, this is AWESOME!  Super helpful.  Thank you so much for the great recommendations.  I am getting even more excited to go now!
    PM me for blog link!

• No worries!  Like I said, if you have specific questions or anything, let me know.  I love Rhode Island, and I'm happy to help out if I can.

The tennis hall of fame is in Newport, too, if you're interested in that.  I went once on a high school field trip, and it was okay, but I guess if you were into tennis it would be pretty cool.  The restaurant there was always good for brunch, though.  It's called The Forge, and they have tables that look out on the center grass court, which is lovely.
  • Marriott is nice downtown. There is a place that is a converted jail that I hear is cool too.
    I love The breakers behind the scenes tour - very downton abbeyesque.
    Definitely do the cliff walk like you said! Brick alley pub and Atlantic beach house are tourist favorites.
    Have a blast!

• I had clam chowder for lunch because of this thread :) Thanks!

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• I had clam chowder for lunch because of this thread :) Thanks!

Apparently the weekend we are planning on going is the chowder festival so this is just sounding better and better. :)
    PM me for blog link!

• We live in MA and DH is from RI. PP's have it covered :) Have be great trip!
    BFP #1 (m/c at 9 weeks, 11/11) BFP #2 (DS, 12/11/12) BFP #3 (EDD 10/8/14)
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"