Parenting
Options

Time to change pedi's?

We went in for A's 3 year old check up the other night. I waited in the room for 45 min with my 8 month old too. I was trying to find ways to entertain them the whole time. By the time the doctor got there A was a bit antsy and so was DS.

The pedi did a quick check of reflexes and jumping. Then shined a light in her eyes and felt her tummy. She said the A was a little constipated and then says "I think she is on the spectrum." What! How could she possible think that?

DD just graduated from speech and OT. The pedi wants her to re-evaluated throught the school district. I also had to remind the pedi that she had already been in OT. Which the OT said she definetly did not need her services any more.

How can you judge a child from the few tests you did and by making a three year old wait 45min! Of course she wants to touch your tools. She knows what they all are and she has been bored for an hour.

I am so confused and upset.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Time to change pedi's?

• Options
    I think you need to understand what led her to that conclusion.  If it's because a 3 year old was antsy and wanted to touch stuff, I think most 3 year olds would qualify.  If you feel like you got the brush off (and it sounds like you did - along with a seemingly random diagnosis) I'd consider switching but have you been happy with this doctor in the past?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

I have been okay with her. She never recommended tubes for DD. I went around her and straight to the EMT from the recommendation of her speech therapist. He took one look and said she needed tubes.

DD also seems to get freaked out a little by her. I am feeling like she does not want to treat my daughter. She gave me the number to a developmental pediatrician. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only other thing I can think of is when she asked DD her name. DD was paying attention to something else and said "I'm three." Then she wanted nothing more to do with the dr.

• Options

Have you been happy with her in the past? Sounds like no, and I think you should always be comfortable with your doctors.

I'd be really unhappy with the approach taken, if she does have valid concerns (not saying they are valid, but if she's basing it on past experiences with your child). You don't just drop that info on a parent without probing for more information and explaining why.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    EVA116EVA116 member
    edited March 2014
    @auntie A loves to line up her letters and numbers too. She will carry them from one room to another and do it all over again. She gets upset if she sees I don't go the exact way we usually go to grandma's house. She also talks well but repeats back to me what I said if I ask a question or says her "go to" answer.

• Options

Like "What did you do in preschool today?"

"Preschool"

"Yes what did you do?"

"Learned the letter X"

• Options
    I see everyone's point. Thanks. It was just a blow because A has been doing so well. I should have asked more questions but both kids were ready to get out of there. I will get her evaluated again. I want the best for her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"