1st Trimester

Tea recommendations

Hi ladies! Got my BFP Friday! Ive been reading that herbal teas can be "no no's." I love celestial seasonings sleepytime and cinnamon apple. Any moms who know more about this or who have been given the "ok" to drink these?
BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
BFP #1 - 3.28.14
EDD - 12.10.14

Re: Tea recommendations

• Nope. I was told no herbal teas. Green and black tea are fine, but herbal teas are a no no.
  • Thanks. Doesnt green tea have a lot of caffeine or are there caffeine free varieties?
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Loading the player...
  • I have been drinking decaf earl grey from adagio.com. It is a black tea.

image      BabyFruit Ticker

• Nope. I was told no herbal teas. Green and black tea are fine, but herbal teas are a no no.

Incorrect.

Herbal tinctures & teas brewed at medicinal strengths are to be avoided. Anything sold at the market is most likely fine. It's not strong enough to produce adverse effects. The blends in celestial seasonings are incredibly mild.

Pure peppermint tea can help nausea.

Pure ginger tea can help with nausea.

What you describe most likely would be fine. It's not any herb that is incompatible with pregnancy.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks for the help, ladies! Ill bring the list of ingredients to my first appt and ask doc to be sure (along with 50 other questions, Im sure ;) I thght maybe it was a simple yes or no answer...it's never that easy is it? :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• @NELSMD, green tea does have caffeine but contains less than oolong tea, which contains less than black tea (which contains less than coffee). A little caffeine is fine, and my doctor said herbal teas are safe, though I agree with @PrimRoseMama‌ about particular types that could be questionable, but nothing like Celestial Seasonings or other common brands. I'll probably have a cup of Sleepytime tonight!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anything with hibiscus should be avoided as it causes uterine contractions and could cause miscarriage. I would stick with the decaf black and green teas as they are safe. Peppermint and ginger are safe also.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told no Sleeytime tea when I was pregnant. I stopped since it was the only thing he told me to avoid.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mb314mb314 member
    Nope. I was told no herbal teas. Green and black tea are fine, but herbal teas are a no no.
    I have heard that green tea can interfere with your folic acid absorption.  This article has a short sentence on it https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1017.html.  It states "There is some concern that green tea might keep folic acid from working the way it should in the body. This might lead to a condition that is similar to folic acid deficiency."  A small amount is  probably okay.

• Anything with hibiscus should be avoided as it causes uterine contractions and could cause miscarriage. I would stick with the decaf black and green teas as they are safe. Peppermint and ginger are safe also.

Again, medicinal amounts-- a hibiscus cooler or even Peet's hibiscus C hot tea wouldn't hurt. I'm not advocating drinking your weight in hibiscus, but a commercial drink every now & then wouldn't cause miscarriage. Holy over reaction. :|

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I stopped drinking both black and green tea during pregnancy but do drink white tea and herbals. Here's some good links https://www.bellybelly.com.au/pregnancy/tea-during-pregnancy-teas-to-drink-teas-to-avoid#.UznTDX-9KK1 https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/herbaltea.html
  • 99% of all food and drink on the list of "no-nos" are okay to consume in moderation. Use your common sense. I drink tea every single day and both me and baby are fine.
    Incorrect. Herbal tinctures & teas brewed at medicinal strengths are to be avoided. Anything sold at the market is most likely fine. It's not strong enough to produce adverse effects. The blends in celestial seasonings are incredibly mild. Pure peppermint tea can help nausea. Pure ginger tea can help with nausea. What you describe most likely would be fine. It's not any herb that is incompatible with pregnancy.
    I'm just repeating what my doctor told me. Other doctors may have other suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"