October 2013 Moms

Weekly Weaning Support Thread?

As we approach the 6 month mark I'm wondering if there are a decent amount of us starting to think about weaning and might want some support. Today is day one of weaning for me, dropping one of my work pump sessions and I'm feeling surprisingly complicated and emotional about it.

For me, my Crohns has gotten really bad and I need to get back on meds that even Infant Risk categorizes as possibly unsafe for breastfeeding. So I sort of have to do it, but also, LO seems to be pushing it too, refusing my boob more and more lately.  The patience I've had to get her back on is getting less and less.

I'm trying to look at the up side. Work will be less stressful, I can exercise at lunch again, and I am DYING for a martini. 
Anyone else with me? 

Re: Weekly Weaning Support Thread?

• Thanks so much @deedee1017 and all the love its! You guys always make me feel better!
  • Loading the player...
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    I am there with you for different reasons. BFing never worked 100% for me but I kept up with it and supplemented with formula.

I travel for work and last week on a trip my pump cord crapped out. I was able to get batteries but it wasn't the same. That coupled with a few very busy days caused a major hit to my supply.

I was thinking about weaning at 6 months anyway and now I'm thinking about starting the process a few weeks early. 

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • I just weaned over the last month. Since LO was having her weight gain issues, I had to start supplementing with formula. And when that wasn't doing enough, I had to increase her formula feedings. I gave up pumping because I wasn't getting much and was stressing about it too much. Then I stopped nursing in the middle of the night so I could get more sleep. My anxiety and depression issues have seriously improved since then. I was still nursing a little for comfort but haven't nursed at all for 4 days now because I decided it was time to stop. I think since I've been tapering off for the last month, I won't have to worry about engorgement or anything. At least, I haven't yet. I haven't even checked to see if I can still express milk.

I miss it so much but it just wasn't working out for us anymore. My goal was to make it to a year, so 4 months EBF and 1 month supplementing makes me sad, but now she's a FF baby, and she's happy and healthy and that's all that matters.

• I would like to night wean, and I'm not sure how to approach that. I might XP in the sleep training post about this. I will probably fully wean by 9 months or so. I think this is a good idea!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"