Working Moms

Two week work trip

mkyaranmkyaran member
edited March 2014 in Working Moms
Ladies, seeking advice. I'm taking a two week international trip for work in May. DS will be almost 9 months and stay at home with DH. I am feeling very anxious about leaving him that long. I have a huge freezer stash so I know he will continue to take breast milk but I'm anxious about two things:.1. Will he go back to nursing after two weeks? 2. Is he going to be upset/traumatized because I left him? I'm bound to a bit heartbroken as I'm already worried! Any experiences and/or advice for managing the trip would be appreciated. Cross posted in breastfeeding forum. Thank you

Re: Two week work trip

• The only thing I would be concerned about is bringing the milk back with you. It won't stay good for 2weeks in the fridge. Will you be able to freeze it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1 - 2 weeks is a huge amount of milk to try to bring back and keep frozen.  Will your company pay to ship it every few days or weekly?  The most I traveled while pumping was four days, and that produced a large amount to bring back through security.

2 - baby won't be traumatized, I imagine it will be harder on you than baby.  I would make sure he gets comfortable with whomever will put him to bed while your gone (DH and I switch off, so I never have any concerns about bedtime when I'm traveling, but I know other moms who do bedtime every night and LO refuses anyone else).  Try to minimize the impact to his routine, and he should adjust just fine.  Be prepared for long, long, long nursing sessions when you get back (one of the best parts of traveling while breastfeeding, IMO).
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This is kind of random, but have you though about having baby and DH come with you? 
    My DH was working overseas for a bit when my DS was 8 months... so we flew out there and spent time site-seeing, hanging out etc (DH tacked on a vacation at the end, so we also went on a mediterranean cruise).  at that age, the travel was really not that hard (honestly).  DS slept most of the way (the airline I was on moved us to the bulkhead and gave us a "bassinet" - basically a basket we could put at our feet for DS to sleep/play etc... in when we were cruising.
    Might be worth a thought??
    Or not. :)
    I nursed DS until he was two, but the longest I was gone was about 4 days.  I pumped and brought all that milk back with me, but I don't see how you could do it for two weeks...
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"