Cloth Diapering
Options

Not sure about fabric

I'm prepping my new diapers and I have some used ones as well that I'm washing. I know to separate the microfibers from the cotton, bamboo, and hemp dipes. But I have a few that don't have tags on them and I can't tell what kind of material they are. I think they may be homemade. Any advice on which load to wash them with?
image image
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Not sure about fabric

• Options
    If they have been used before, they've likely been prepped already and could go in a load with the microfibers. If they haven't been prepped, can you tell us what the inside feels like? Is it a fluffy/fuzzy knit like fleece sweatshirts? Soft like velvet? Stretchy? Not stretchy?

• Options
    @unaveragejane it looks similar to MF on the inside of the pocket, but it's like sweatshirt material on the outside. On second thought, I guess that makes it very similar to a sweatshirt on both sides.

I have some inserts that I'm not sure about, either. But you're saying once everything has been prepped, it's ok to wash them all together? 
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, once everything is prepped they can all go together. Part of the purpose of prepping is to get the oils out of the natural fibers (cotton, hemp, bamboo) without them redepositing on the synthetics (possibly causing them to repel). Once the naturals have been washed and dried several times, this danger is over and they can all live in the same washing machine happily ever after.

The sweatshirt material is tricky. I would tend to think it's a synthetic, but it could possibly be a natural fleece. Is it white, dyed, or natural/off-white colored?

• Options
    @unaveragejane It's off-white, almost tan. There are just a few like that and I'm considering not even using them because I have so many. (Oops, how did that happen? Too many CDs? No such thing!) Either way, it's been used before so I'll just throw it in with the load of MF that I'm prepping.

Sorry for the newb questions. Thanks for your help!!
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Off-white could very possibly be a natural fiber. If it is, you might wind up loving it b/c it will hold more pee! On the other hand, it won't be stay-dry so that might bug the little one. I vote to at least try it and see how it fits your LO. (I'm sure you were dying to know my opinion :p ) Anyway, have fun prepping!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"