Stay at Home Moms

Rug or No Rug Under Dining Table?

NicoleWINicoleWI member
edited March 2014 in Stay at Home Moms
We have new hardwood floors in our dining area. Clearly, the kids drop stuff ALL THE TIME. I am debating no rug vs. getting an indoor/outdoor type rug. WWYD?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Rug or No Rug Under Dining Table? 85 votes

No rug. Way easier to just wipe/sweep after each meal.
75% 64 votes
Outdoor type rug. Can wipe it or vacuum it, and that way not everything is going right onto your floor and not everything shows after each meal.
18% 16 votes
Other
5% 5 votes

Re: Rug or No Rug Under Dining Table?

• I love rugs in other spaces (we have them virtually all over), but I don't like them under the dining room (or kitchen for that matter) table.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't have one and I like it that way.  It's way easier to clean.  And easier to push cars on.  Which is like, DSs favorite thing to do under the table.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have one under our table.  We have hardwood floors and a dog that spends most of his days lying by the table in hopes of scrapes being dropped.  It keeps our hardwood floors nice - clean and scratch free (dog's nails). 
  • I've been wanting a rug for under our table, but sweeping up the stuff ds drops just seems easier for now.

I was looking at this one: https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/00166415/
  • Rug - it's an indoor one but a big braided natural fiber one. It gets vacuumed every night. I'm not ruining my floors w/ chairs sliding in and out all day long. 
    This is why we have a rug.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have no rug under the tables. DS only gets to sit in one place at the kitchen and dining table, so the mess stays in as small an area as possible. I just sweep when it gets crazy, but he is unusually preoccupied with picking up food he drops.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • No rug, I'd rather sweep/mop or use my hardwood vacuum than deal with stains.  We also felted the bottom of our chairs to avoid the scratching problem.  
    photo 3104d09c-3cc7-4177-aed6-da3344fdf17f_zpsbb1f9ce7.jpg

• Rug - it's an indoor one but a big braided natural fiber one. It gets vacuumed every night. I'm not ruining my floors w/ chairs sliding in and out all day long. 
    This is why we have a rug.
    It looks nicer and the room looks finished w/ it. Yea, it's annoying to vacuum, but oh well. Kids cause a lot of annoying work for me. 
    Yep. We have an australian shepherd so I vacuum everyday anyway. I don't think it's that much added work :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This is my third house with hardwoods and I am firmly of the opinion that a rug under the dining table is the best!
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Rug for now, but once DS starts feeding himself the rug will go. It will be easier for the dog to eat the food he drops off the laminate floors ;-)
  • I voted no rug, but we have laminate floors. I have no experience with chairs scraping hardwoods.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• No rug, I'd rather sweep/mop or use my hardwood vacuum than deal with stains.  We also felted the bottom of our chairs to avoid the scratching problem.  
    This exactly.
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • We have little caps on our chairs to prevent scratching on the hardwoods-- I just sweep or run the dirt devil to get the crumbs up. Sometimes I can't do it right away after dinner & end up sweeping once Z is asleep.
  • NicoleWI said:
    We have new hardwood floors in our dining area. Clearly, the kids drop stuff ALL THE TIME. I am debating no rug vs. getting an indoor/outdoor type rug. WWYD?
    I love rugs and have quite a few of them around my apartment, and I thought that I wanted one in the dining room (before DD was born), but now I'm happy I didn't buy one in the end. I have a very formal dining area, but even so, it looks good without one. 
  • I prefer no rug, both for looks and for ease in cleaning.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have this indoor/outdoor rug under our dining room table because we didn't want to scratch the floors and the room is open to living room so we wanted a more "finished" look. It's super easy to clean- I can sweep food off it just as easily as I can sweep food off the hardwood and I vacuum it every few days for any tiny little crumbs that may get in the fibers. We got it at the end of last summer and I think this summer I may have DH take it outside and spray it down with the power washer to really clean it, let it air dry outside then put it back. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We've done it both ways in two houses and we prefer a rug (Pottery Barn wool rug) under our formal dining room table.

Our floors are 90yr old original matchstick oak and they dent/scratch very easily. The chairs sliding in and out, the cat going on a rampage daily, and the kids dragging their toys have done a number on the seal. We do everything we can to protect them.

In the kitchen, we have tile so the kids eating and making art projects and spilling stuff with those chairs sliding in and out all the time isn't a problem.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"