Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 3/31

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog (www.mspimoms.blogspot.com).

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. How supportive has your SO and/or family been of your MSPI diet? Have they joined you in your dietary restrictions or do they still eat the same?

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 3/31

• 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We're fine.

2. How supportive has your SO and/or family been of your MSPI diet? Have they joined you in your dietary restrictions or do they still eat the same? Family has mostly been very supportive. My mom, MIL, and sister have always made great efforts to ensure I had something to eat at get-togethers. DH has been ok. He still brings in off-limits foods which bugs me, especially now that DS can see them in the cupboard and ask for them. :|

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? Not today.

• 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We had a rough weekend. The power went out Friday evening for most of the town we live in and did not come back on for 22 hours. I was able to move my freezer stash of breastmilk (~400 oz) to DH's work freezer, but we left the fridge closed the whole time to try to keep it cold. So I missed dinner Friday night (was waiting, hopeful the power would come back on, then gave up and went to bed), and ate out all day Saturday. I've been so restrictive about eating out, but I didn't really have a choice. I did check allergen info online before ordering, but after a Wendy's hamburger for breakfast (yes breakfast), Chipotle burrito bowl for lunch, and sorbet from a frozen yogurt shop I was rewarded with a green mucousy diaper at 4:30am Sunday :( DD seems to be doing ok other than that, no eczema or spitting up.

2. How supportive has your SO and/or family been of your MSPI diet? Have they joined you in your dietary restrictions or do they still eat the same? DH is supportive for the most part, but I don't think he understands how frustrating the diet is. We had planned to get breakfast at Subway (b/c of the power outage) and I had picked out a nice MSPI-friendly English muffin with egg whites and veggies. However Subway didn't have the English muffin and the flatbread they do have has dairy in it. DH was frustrated with me for not knowing what to eat and I was frustrated that I hadn't eaten since lunch the previous day....so I started crying in the parking lot at Subway and that's how I ended up with a hamburger for breakfast. And no dietary restrictions for DH, he still eats ice cream every day and puts cheese on everything :(

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? Not today.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • 1. We are doing well! I'm still going slow with dairy, but DS seems to be doing well, and I've been having small bits of dairy here and there. So far just foods that have been sautéed in a little bit of butter. He did have one short fussy period but I think it was due to being over tired. But I'm proceeding with caution.

2. DH has been incredibly supportive, and joins me in the dietary restrictions unless we are out, in which case he is free to eat what he wants, but I am free to make him feel guilty about it, haha! But our house is dairy free.

3. No questions today!
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?  We are good.  I am starting to get maybe a little paranoid about how sensitive DD is.  I noticed a while back ago one time that when I kissed her on her cheek it looked like a hive popped up.  I thought I was being crazy, and then DH said something about it. I can't remember where I was in the elimination that that had happened. It happened again the day I ate wheat.  It was right on her cheek where I kissed her.  I googled it just to hopefully ease my fear, and I read that that can happen.  She also has had this rash on her back and chest since last week.  It looks like tiny bumps from dry skin.  I am sure that is what it is, but of course it showed up the day after I ate wheat.  I slathered her up with aquaphor tonight which I hope helps.

2. How supportive has your SO and/or family been of your MSPI diet? Have they joined you in your dietary restrictions or do they still eat the same? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  Oh my gosh I can not imagine DH doing this diet.  He said when DD1 had MSPI that if it were him he would have given up right away and used formula.  He is much more supportive of me now.  With DD1 he would sort of downplay it, and say oh I am sure you could eat a little of this or that.  It all stems from guilt.  He would feel badly that I couldn't eat certain things.  With DD2 he is much better at just letting me do what I need to do.  He will offer to go to Chipotle for me which I love.  He was really hoping I could eat wheat again, and he was the one that kept pushing for me to try.  Oh well.

My in-laws and parents are sort of clueless about it.  Last time my in-laws were here they wanted to get take out from the place down the street.  Fine.  I can get a salad, and I have my own dressing.  My MIL says "so what kind of pizza or calzone do you want?  I know you can't have certain things."  Ummmm right...like the kind that is dairy/soy/wheat/egg free....you know that kind?  Ha ha ha ha.  My mom brought me over a box of godiva milk chocolate truffles at her last visit.  It was a nice thought, but of course I couldn't eat them.  She was all "chocolate???  really?"  Yeah Mom.  I told her that I can have certain dark chocolate, but I have to read the label.  I find it funny because seriously this is my second go at this.  With DD1 I only had Milk and Soy...but still of course no pizza or anything with cheese..wouldn't that be obvious...or MILK CHOCOLATE?  Ha ha ha.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?   I want to see an allergist for DD2 soon.  With DD1 we saw an allergist at 6 months, and she did a blood test.  I was reading that with the scratch test sometimes it will come up negative prior to 1 year.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I am getting nervous about the wheat intolerance.  I want to know if it is an allergy or intolerance. 

• 1. I'm doing ok! I'm about 7 weeks in and it's going pretty well. The only thing that stinks, is I'm visiting my parents in Florida, and their publix doesn't carry all the foods I have found at home (wegmans). Lo is doing better, no blood in diaper, only an occasional mucous, and the color is closer to yellow than green (at times). She is also popping a lot less, and sleeping better. She no longer grunts! And her hiccups have been getting better!
    2. My dh is great, I fix dinner for both of us MSPI free and he doesn't mind. I still buy cookies and treats for him and ds, and he's good about eating it away from me. My birthday and ds birthday was last week, and I really wanted a piece of cake! But oh well, next year! I've found that I'm eating much healthier than I ever have, so that makes this diet better.
    3. I found bagels that listed vitamin e as an ingredient- is this hidden soy?
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We are both doing pretty well. The allergist said to slowly reintroduce soy and dairy -- I've done dairy, and LO seems fine. I'm more concerned about soy.

2. How supportive has your SO and/or family been of your MSPI diet? Have they joined you in your dietary restrictions or do they still eat the same? DH is supportive, but has not joined us in our restrictions. When we couldn't have dairy, I did ask him not to eat pizza in front of me. He was kind and did not eat it.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? No.

photo 9acca2d2-3800-4433-bb71-c445948b76cf_zpsd9667865.jpg

Anniversary

• @camedowncrushing‌ Hmm, she's getting like tiny little bumps, not the big welty hives? That sounds similar to what my DS used to get, usually on his face. The allergist called it dermatographia, or chronic hives, brought on by frequent infections (e.g., daycare colds). She said it was his immune system over-reacting to any minor irritation. He'd get it when he ate something he was intolerant to or was acidic, when he got sick, and if his skin was just physically irritated like scratched. We didn't see the allergist til after he was 1 yr. She tested it in her office by running a tongue depressor across his arm, and within minutes he had a raised welt in that spot. She recommended giving him zyrtec for about 6 mo to teach his body not to be so reactive. I don't know if it's the medication or just getting older, but he almost never gets those rashes now. Might be something to look into!
  • @Jackapatamus Yes, vitamin E is often derived from soy.
  • RingOfFire11RingOfFire11 member
    edited April 2014

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We're doing okay. We are 4 weeks into no dairy, soy, eggs and nuts. I've cut beef for 3 weeks. DD2's diapers are still mucousy. I'm not sure if I should wait longer or try cutting something else. Her diapers seemed to be a little worse after eating corn on the cob the other night. I do eat Cheerios with rice milk so maybe I should stop since they have corn...

2. How supportive has your SO and/or family been of your MSPI diet? Have they joined you in your dietary restrictions or do they still eat the same? MH is very supportive. He reads labels and tries to look for things I can have on his own. We weren't big on processed food before and ate at home a lot...so I think that helps. He and DD1 still eat eggs, she drinks WCM and they both eat nuts. I'm not bothered by any of that though. We went to Chipotle yesterday as a family, which was nice! It was the first time we've eaten out since starting the new diet.

The rest of my family thinks I should switch to formula to make my life easier. I feel it's easier to ignore them. ;)

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? Are Carlson Vitamin D drops okay? It doesn't say it's derived from soy but it does have Vitamin E in it. The questions above have me worried because I stopped giving them to her but wanted to start them again (per pedi recommendation).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hi there! My names is Jen and I'm the mama of a beautiful 4month old baby boy, Jack.  We live in British Columbia, Canada. I'm an elementary school teacher and my husband is a firefighter, I'm on maternity leave until January next year.

About two months or so ago I noticed LO's poopies were turning green, however I didn't think too much of it as he has been drooling quite a bit lately and I also thought that perhaps he was getting more foremilk then hindmilk (I EBF). However, about a week ago he started to get bloody streaks in his diaper, and our gp concluded MSPI was the culprit! Aside from his diapers, we never would have known there was an issue, he doesn't show any signs of fussiness or discomfort due to his intolerance. At the moment I've eliminated all dairy, soy and beef. We'll see how his diapers look in a couple weeks and see if more adjustments need to be made.

I've never knowingly, had too much dairy in my diet, aside from yogurt as a snack and milk in my cereal/coffee. But then again, I've never purposefully avoided it. It wasn't until I had to start looking at labels within the past 2 weeks that I came to realize just how many items milk and soy are an ingredient in! Needless to say, meal planning has taken on a whole new element.

I've made quite a few recipes off of mspimama.com and they are so delicious! As tricky as it is to be aware of every ingredient in everything that I eat, it's interesting to see all of the delicious things that are out there that we can still eat. 

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to following everyone's stories and ideas regarding mspi :-)

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

So far so good. We haven't seen blood in his diapers for a couple of days and it appears as though the green is slowly going away. LO is as happy as a clam, which means mama is too! I'm doing fairly well, still getting adjusted to what I can and cannot eat. I need to make some snack type foods up that I can grab on the go (probably muffins or granola bites), will make daytime outings a bit easier.

2. How supportive has your SO and/or family been of your MSPI diet? Have they joined you in your dietary restrictions or do they still eat the same?

My husband has been incredible. He helps me seek out recipes for us to try (he eats the same meal as me, we don't cook separately unless he's craving a steak). He helps scan through labels for ingredients that are a no go and is overall, super supportive of the diet.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?

At the moment, I'm a tad overwhelmed with all the info. we've gathered these past couple of weeks, so I'm looking forward to reading through previous threads and learning from all of your experiences :-)

• @camedowncrushing‌ Hmm, she's getting like tiny little bumps, not the big welty hives? That sounds similar to what my DS used to get, usually on his face. The allergist called it dermatographia, or chronic hives, brought on by frequent infections (e.g., daycare colds). She said it was his immune system over-reacting to any minor irritation. He'd get it when he ate something he was intolerant to or was acidic, when he got sick, and if his skin was just physically irritated like scratched. We didn't see the allergist til after he was 1 yr. She tested it in her office by running a tongue depressor across his arm, and within minutes he had a raised welt in that spot. She recommended giving him zyrtec for about 6 mo to teach his body not to be so reactive. I don't know if it's the medication or just getting older, but he almost never gets those rashes now. Might be something to look into!
    Thanks!  I am bringing her in tomorrow. 
  • @RingOfFire11 I gave DS Carlson D drops with no issues. I'm pretty sure the vit E is derived from coconut and/or palm oil.

@excitedjen1 Welcome! I like your positive attitude. :)

Thanks!  I am bringing her in tomorrow. 
    We didn't see our regular pedi, but the pedi we saw said that it may very well be from the wheat.  So today I tested her stool in the morning and it was positive, and then again in the afternoon. I find this so odd because I haven't had anything with wheat in it...and I had a negative test two days after the wheat.  I know it can linger in your system so I will watch her stools, and wait two weeks before I get concerned that it is something else. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"