December 2013 Moms
Options

PSA: Medical Bills

Some of you may be getting hit with some medical bills around now or maybe you've already got some.

Here's an important thing to know about medical bills: They are negotiable. Seriously, you can haggle them down on what you owe. Sometimes they have set discounts for paying in full or setting up a monthly payment plan but they won't always give you the discount unless you ASK. Beyond set discounts, they also have room to negotiate. Sometimes you will get 40 or even 50% off for paying in full so don't assume you can't afford to pay it all off. This is true of private hospitals and especially true of county hospitals who are thrilled that you're paying anything. It also works with professional fees too (doctors, radiologists, etc.)

And if you're paying fully out of pocket (no insurance) make sure they are giving you the out of pocket rates. Yes that's right, they charge you less if you are paying yourself than if they are charging an insurance company.

Also make sure you save your itemized bills, depending on your income and the amount, they might be tax deductible.

If you're having any struggles with bills or insurance claims, please feel free to PM me or start a thread. I don't have all the answers but I've worked in insurance a long time, if I don't know the answer sometimes I can hit up some others where I work and figure it out.

Oh and the thing about negotiating bills I learned from my DH. He negotiates EVERYTHING. He's been known to haggle with the gas company, the pier one sales rep, the lawn care company, etc. And most of the time he actually does get a discount of some kind.
**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: PSA: Medical Bills

• Options
    I learned a long time ago that if you ask/haggle about 60-70% of the time you will get some sort of a deal even 5% or something small is still a win. The worst they can say is no ;)
  • Options
    Yep! DH works for a hospital, and he says insurance companies typically only pay about 60% of the cost, so the fee scale tends to be inflated so that the 60% more accurately reflects the true cost. They only get 51% from Medicare.

I just had gall bladder surgery, and the surgeon is willing to take only 75% if we pay cash within 30 days of the bill being printed.

Jill (36) Wife to Joe (36) Mom to: Alyssa (forever 10) Jacob (10) Baby Due 12/31/13 Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip!!

• Options
    I wish I would have known this 2 months ago lol
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    Also, most hospitals receive a chunk of federal money for charity care. You can fill out the application from the hospital to ask them to review your income and amount of the bill. ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TShea721 said:
    They would not negotiate with me and told Me they'd and it to collections. They want me to pay 120/month for 18 months.
    They are jerks!
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options
    TShea721 said:
    They would not negotiate with me and told Me they'd and it to collections. They want me to pay 120/month for 18 months.
    They are jerks!
    Right? Go to a different hospital next time!
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options

I am going to call now to ask.  With our son we got 50% off if we paid it all at once..that was great.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"