Stay at Home Moms

WWYD: naptime issues

DD is almost 3 and sleeps usually 8pm-8am with a 2 hour nap between 1:30-3:30.
Lately she has been fighting going to bed at 8. I put her in but it's a struggle to get her to actually sleep. She figured out how to open the gate on her door so we bought a new different one and she figured that one out too. Keeping her in the room has become such a struggle. 2 days last week she didn't nap because we were out during naptime. One night she fell asleep at 6:30 and slept until 8am. Last night she passed out at 7 and slept until 8.
Not napping makes the nighttime so much easier but I don't think I'm ready to give up the naps though. I need that time, especially with the new baby to get stuff done around here, because she keeps me busy pretty much every minute she is awake. And she needs it too usually because if we are home and she doesn't nap she is a cranky maniac by dinner. If we are out for the day she is usually fine. But we are more often home than out all day. What would you do? Right now I have been trying to get her to nap for over an hour... And by the time she falls asleep I'm going to want her to wake up because it is going to get too close to her bedtime and then that will get screwed up. Sorry for rambling. Any naptime words of wisdom?

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/

Re: WWYD: naptime issues

• I would try quiet time. Put together a box of quiet toys and books that she gets to play with during that time and put her in her room. She may fall asleep anyway. Can you try moving bedtime up a little if she's tired from not napping?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is exactly what happened when DS dropped his nap (he was 2 months shy of 3 years old). Dropping the nap was the only thing that helped him go to bed at night. We started having quiet time instead. He still gets some downtime (and would occasionally fall asleep) and I still had some me time.
    Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • It's normal to need less sleep as they get older. If you're not ready to drop her nap, I would either start putting her to bed later or wake her earlier in the morning. Maybe try 8:30p-7:30a.
    When dd was still napping she was up later and later at night. When she stopped napping she went to bed easier and earlier. She's now 3.5 and sleeps roughly 9pm-8am with an hour of quiet time in the afternoon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• DS's schedule is the same except he wakes around 7am, and he definitely still needs the nap or he's terrible by dinnertime (we skip it once in awhile for a party or whatnot).

He doesn't try to get out of his bed at naptime but he does at bedtime.  We have the doorknob turned around so the lock is facing out, and we lock it until he's asleep and then it's unlocked by 10pm when DH goes upstairs.  I know people seem to be really opposed to locking them in but I'll admit I don't understand why...it's the same as keeping them in there with a gate, and with the lock on the outside it's easy for us to unlock it in half a second. If we don't do that, he comes out of his room and wakes up his sister who is already asleep.

If she still won't nap you might have to move bedtime to 7 or so :( I dread the day DS naps no more but I know it's coming!
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • jf198400 said:

It's normal to need less sleep as they get older. If you're not ready to drop her nap, I would either start putting her to bed later or wake her earlier in the morning. Maybe try 8:30p-7:30a.
    When dd was still napping she was up later and later at night. When she stopped napping she went to bed easier and earlier. She's now 3.5 and sleeps roughly 9pm-8am with an hour of quiet time in the afternoon.

That's what I was thinking. I guess I'm going to have to decide what I want more.. The nap break in the afternoon or the early bedtime. I knew this day would come.

I also like the idea of a quiet time. At least then I can straighten up the playroom and do some other chores...

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • My boys were 33 months when they stopped napping- I was sad.  But- they now go to bed at 7p and sleep til 7a.  So DH and I have nice down time in the evening together- so actually it is nice.   They will be going to afternoon preschool next year- Nick 5 days a week (for speech delay) and John 3 days a week.  So that will be my afternoon break!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"