Babies on the Brain
Options

Two Eggs, One Ovary??

Hi Everyone!!!

So, I apparently am ovulating two eggs right now, from only my right ovary. Long story short, I have been having pressure etc, and an ultrasound showed I had a bicornuate uterus, my obgyn suggested that if I was trying to conceive I should find out what type it is, or how severe. So my results are in and I just have a heart shaped top and NO septum (Hallelujah!!! & I won't lie my SO and I just started crying, due to fear I could not conceive) so within moments of telling us my uterus is fine, I was told I am apparently ovulating, and that there is two eggs on the loose lol. My fiancé and I are doing the whole, what happens, happens, if we get pregnant then that'd be great. Well three and two days previously we had made a couple of "attempts" (26 years old and I am still not sure how to politely say we had sex). My question(s) are:

What are the chances of conceiving with two eggs?

What is the timeframe we are working with?

Along with question one... potential for twins? (NONE in my immediate family, my male cousin has twins, but his wifes family is full of them.

Seriously, I am still new to this whole thing and I am embarrassed to say that I actually googled 'how are babies made' to try to understand what I'm working with.

Re: Two Eggs, One Ovary??

• Options

Hi Everyone!!!

So, I apparently am ovulating two eggs right now, from only my right ovary. Long story short, I have been having pressure etc, and an ultrasound showed I had a bicornuate uterus, my obgyn suggested that if I was trying to conceive I should find out what type it is, or how severe. So my results are in and I just have a heart shaped top and NO septum (Hallelujah!!! & I won't lie my SO and I just started crying, due to fear I could not conceive) so within moments of telling us my uterus is fine, I was told I am apparently ovulating, and that there is two eggs on the loose lol. My fiancé and I are doing the whole, what happens, happens, if we get pregnant then that'd be great. Well three and two days previously we had made a couple of "attempts" (26 years old and I am still not sure how to politely say we had sex). My question(s) are:

Along with question one... potential for twins? (NONE in my immediate family, my male cousin has twins, but his wifes family is full of them.

Seriously, I am still new to this whole thing and I am embarrassed to say that I actually googled 'how are babies made' to try to understand what I'm working with.

You can say sex here.

1. Chances for couples with no known fertility issues and good timing is around 20%. You have a 12-24hr window once the egg is released.

2. A male cousin having twins has no bearing on you having them. His genes did not cause his wife to hyperovulate (if fraternal twins, the type that can "run" in families). The only case where a male relative might affect your chance of twins is if your dad is a carrier and passed the "hyperovulation gene" to you. If you have definitely released 2 eggs yes, there is a chance of twins if you had everything line up perfectly.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options

Hi Everyone!!!

You can say sex here. 1. Chances for couples with no known fertility issues and good timing is around 20%. You have a 12-24hr window once the egg is released. 2. A male cousin having twins has no bearing on you having them. His genes did not cause his wife to hyperovulate (if fraternal twins, the type that can "run" in families). The only case where a male relative might affect your chance of twins is if your dad is a carrier and passed the "hyperovulation gene" to you. If you have definitely released 2 eggs yes, there is a chance of twins if you had everything line up perfectly.
    All of this, but I wouldn't put money on any bet that there actually were two eggs released. An ultrasound would show follicles ready to go, but there's no guarantee that all the ready follicles would be released. Also you can't guarantee that you ovulated w/o a 7dpo blood draw.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry to forget this, but I had an ultrasound then was sent for the MRI thats what showed I had two eggs. I don't think that has any bearing but still wanted to clarify.
  • Options
    Sorry to forget this, but I had an ultrasound then was sent for the MRI thats what showed I had two eggs. I don't think that has any bearing but still wanted to clarify.

You can't see eggs on u/s (or MRI), the eggs are as small as the period at the end of this sentence.  What you can see are the follicles that contain the eggs, which are roughly 20-25mm when mature.  The thing is that you can't be certain that both follicles (or either follicle for that matter) actually ovulated without confirmation (this is usually done with a progesterone draw 7 days after suspected ovulation). 

On average a woman has a 20% chance at conceiving each month.  So even ovulating two eggs, you still have a good chance of not conceiving at all.  I had two mature follicles with my clomid + trigger + IUI cycle last May, it was a BFN.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    Hyperovulation is, in fact, a potentially inherited trait. Not saying that's what you have, but this trait often is related to the trend of twins in families. My mom was pregnant with twins twice, so I'm always slightly nervous that she hyperovulates (or did) and that I inherited it! Again, not saying this is what happened to you, but just an FYI.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"