Stay at Home Moms

TMI - constipation

I had my hernia repair surgery on the 25th, last tuesday and haven't had a bowel movement since that morning.  I've been taking colace with dinner every night and eating a high fiber diet and nothing yet.  Today I took Miralax with my glass of water and hoping it works.  I'm a very regular person so this is making me feel so bloated and icky.  Anything else that I can do to move this along?  THKS!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: TMI - constipation

• 16 oz of prune juice, followed by 8 oz of apple juice 1 hr later, 8 oz of prune juice 30 minutes later. If that doesn't work, time for a laxative. :) That's always been my experience.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • Thanks!  I thought miralax was a laxitive?  May have DH go to the grocery store later.  I remember this with the c/section 3 years ago but I was only constipated for 5 days.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had three c/s and the constipation was the worst part of it.   I remember I did everything I could to get things moving at the hospital.  I had tons of hot tea and juice.  I drank a lot of water and walked as much as I could and also ate raisin bran and spinach salad on top of taking colace every day.  All of that did nothing.  Finally, I asked for a suppository.  I got relief within the hour and I was so glad I did it instead of waiting hours or days for other methods to work.
  • I called the pharmacist and she also said miralax and prune juice/apple juice.  If none of that works then she said in enima :(  Hope this works!
  • The prune juice / apple juice combo is pretty powerful. Phillips laxative worked best for me pp. GL! Hope everything comes out okay. :P

Due 12/29/2012
  • jlpevjlpev member
    Milk of magnesia...my nurse friend suggested it. Worked great after my csection.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • vlagrl29vlagrl29 member
    edited March 2014
    I feel like I"m waiting to birth a baby.  this is just not cool at all.  Thanks ladies for all the tips.  we had some left over miralax from when DH had a colonoscopy.
  • Ugh, the waiting is the worst. I didn't go for a week and half after I left the hospital pp, and it was the most uncomfortable I've ever been. But the relief is amazing when it comes. :)

Due 12/29/2012
  • I'd rec' giving a call to your Doc just to say "hey, not moving right along here!"..  That way if you're needing to go in for being FOS (yes, technical diagnosis) they know right away...

When I had a PG complication of constipation... They had me on Sennacot 2x, Miralax 2x/day, and Colace 2x/day until things got back to regular then went off one at a time..  Of course, if you want things to REALLY move along...  a half bottle of Magnesium Citrate will get you attached to a toilet for a while...  If the first doesn't work within a couple days, then the Mag. Citrate doesn't work, then you know you need to go in sooner rather than later!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The prune/apple juice combo worked for me in the hospital, but damn, 16oz of prune juice would be hell on earth.  I couldn't choke down more than about 4-5oz and it still worked.  

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• The prune/apple juice combo worked for me in the hospital, but damn, 16oz of prune juice would be hell on earth.  I couldn't choke down more than about 4-5oz and it still worked.  

You gotta hold your nose and chug, then choke down some bread before unplugging. I've done this a lot. :)

Due 12/29/2012
  • Well I"m happy to announce things got moving last night only a couple hours after I took the prune juice :)  I only was able to choke down half a glass myself.  I think I will drink another glass today.  I have 4 pounds to loose.  I'm totally full of crap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"