Babies: 3 - 6 Months

thumb sucking...

Hi everyone. Wanted to see if anyone has any advice about keeping my LO from sucking his thumbs.. 

His recently discovered them. I pull it out of his mouth.. screams...  I tried replacing it with a paci.. doesnt work. He screams until i take the paci out or spits it out as soon as i let it go  then goes straight to the thumb. I put mittens on him and he sucks on it so much its soaking wet... (-_-)  I don't want it to be a bad habit and/or mess with his future teeth 

Re: thumb sucking...

• I hope your right =( 

• I agree with the previous poster. If I were you I wouldn't fight it right now. Maybe he'll be like my son and suck it for a few months and then forget about it. It's def a developmental thing too.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not fighting it, my LO loves her hands. I figure its a way to self sooth and it's easier than a paci- she can't lose it, I don't have to sterilize them!
    I'll deal with the bad habit if it turns into one down the road!
  • >.< alright. I'll let him be. it is nice that I dont have to hold a paci for him. lol
  • MsTSRMsTSR member
    edited March 2014
    Although I'm not a mom yet and still ttc, I can say this. I'm 33 and still suck my thumb, my mom said that she thought that I would grow out of it. So when my nephew started sucking his thumb my mom told my sister to break him out of it... I'm not a expect but I hope it helps.
  • I don't think you should thInk about as much or worry you that you will have a thumbsucker forever :-/ and sometimes that's not the case my son sucked his thumb until he was a little over a year and he used it when in a new place and when he was sleepy... Every child is different :-)
  • I'm actually glad he started doing this as now he can self-sooth bc he doesn't take a paci, we will worry about transitioning later.
  • Worry about it when he's 2-3 yrs old, not now.  Yes, it's a habit they need to break eventually, but now isn't the time.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ya i'm letting it be for now.. at least i dont have to sit there with a paci 

now his moved on to chomping on his fingers somethings. teething i believe. 
  • my son sucks his thumb too. It's hid way of self soothing.  He's sucking on his bib too.  I wouldn't worry too much at this age.
    TTC since June/09.
    1st cycle diagnosed with slight hypothyroidism. Clomid, dexamethasone, HCG trigger shot. BFN
    2nd cycle, Clomid, dexamethasone, HCG trigger shot. BFN
    3rd cycle, Clomid, dexamethasone, ovulated with out tigger. BFN
    4th cycle, Clomid, dexamethasone, HCG trigger shot. BFP!!!
    EDD 12/31/2011 ----- actual birthday 01/05/2012

Surprise BFP! - EDD 10/14/2013

Our little boy is on the way!

Lilypie - (Qxvc)

View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (BW9K)

• blah I wouldn't worry about it. He's learning to self sooth (which is a great thing)  and it's not going to impair his teeth or speech right now. And it's way better than having to get up a million times a night to reinsert the paci. Also- some babies just have a strong suck reflux and at this stage I don't think it's worth the fight. 

My LO chops on his fingers all the time. He is teething. It helps relieve pressure off his gums. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"