Cloth Diapering

ITK

How do you have your fabrics stored/in your sewing room? I don't have nearly as much as you, but my little craft table and sewing machine corner is in desperate need of organization. Bonus points for a picture (and I swear it will not end up on my spreadsheet. Pinkie swear)
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ITK

• No way. I just have a huge pile of stuff from the floor to the top of my seeing machine (sitting on the table). Lol

• Loading the player...
  • I seriously wish I could hug you right now. Our piles look the same! My stuff would be spread out more if it weren't in the corner of my bedroom

• And. There's no sewing machine in there

• ::gasp!!:: I have a china cabinet that I'm wanting to sell. Maybe I could ditch an unneeded piece of furniture in my bedroom And redo it for myself and my fabric stuff

• How much do you think the shipping is for a large piece of furniture?

• I'm LLOL right now bc 1) MK hijacked another post 2) mandmeesh ACTUALLY thought ITK would post a pic! !! =))

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hey, your pic did help me feel better MK ;)

• I'll post a pic tomorrow of my (mostly) nicely organized stuff. You don't get a picture of the rest of the room though lol. It's seriously a huge disaster zone in the sloooow process of being decluttered/reorganized and there's no way I will forever memorialize that on the interwebs. I have a crazy hectic day so bump this tomorrow night in case I forget.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Awesome. And you know I'll bump it ;). I just have no idea where to start

• I got my inspiration from a fabric store. It works nicely... Everything is visible, neat, and easy to put back. Except I need more space since I'm just putting overflow into boxes on the bed (my craft room is also the guest bedroom).
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • You guise I was just picking! I Can't believe she's actually going to post a pic!

• You guise I was just picking! I Can't believe she's actually going to post a pic!

All you have to do is ask nicely ;)

• Thanks Zara!!! I love your craft area

• The best organizational component of mine is the clear plastic drawers. I store my fabric in those so they're easy to get to and put away (theoretically ;) ). My whole little corner is in desperate need of some love right now, though.imageimageimage
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I'm jealous of all your sewing rooms! I sew on the dining room table and all my fabric is in boxes.

Same here, that or the floor :( not so comfy or pretty.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • N_KozN_Koz member
    Jealous as well I only have room for what will fit in my sewing machine roller bag and a rubbermaid tub at the bottom of little man's closet for crafting. I need craft space! 

image   Visit The Nest!   Visit The Nest!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 
  • I only have a specific craft space because I've been super insistent. Up until recently, we had a counter height table, so I was able to use that as an excuse as to why I NEEDED a sewing desk. We are also currently using the same room as an office and a staging area for all of DH's flight gear. My desk is actually a kid desk that we got at a furniture clearance center. DH hates the drawers, but it was super cheap and it's metal (which is great for sewing because it's so solid), so we keep it :)
    London Eye 

• I'm seriously anxious to see what ITK's storage looks like!!!

All my fabric is stored in clear boxes and semi-organized by type or what I have planned for it (sewing for me, apron fabrics, kids' apparel, fleece, interfacing, ribbon). I took the wire shelving out of the bottom half of our guest closet and stacked the boxes in there. My patterns are in similar boxes at the end of the guest bed. (We have a trundle, so there's no space underneath.) My sewing machine and serger have come to live on a square card table which also doubles as my cutting table with the help of a cutting mat. My sewing machine accessories, extra needles, and scissors, are stored in a toolbox. Other notions are in a set of plastic drawers. (Eureka! I just figured out that my drawers will fit under the table if I take the wheels off the cart!)

• This is the only part neatish enough at the moment to share haha.

I cut up heavy cardboard boxes into long pieces, then fold my fabric (in thirds since I mostly buy apparel, in half for quilting/short fabrics) and wrap the fabric around the cardboard. My fleece is too bulky, so it just gets folded in between the shelf and closet door. This closet is about 60% of my fabric, the rest is in boxes waiting for my new storage shelves/project table to be made.

When I want to use it for a project, it comes out and goes into a wicker laundry basket to be cut along with all the fabric for whatever other projects I'm working on at the moment (You can see how the third row down is mostly empty because I pulled a lot of my solid cotton lycra knits to make some leggings). I safety pin all my pieces, including elastic or trim, for one garment together once they've been cut and put them together into a box on my sewing table behind my machines so I can pull out like colors without having to change the threads on the machines any more frequently than I have to. The fabric is either rerolled immediately after being cut if it's still mostly folded, or I put it into a second wicker basket to be rolled and put away at a later time.

I like this way better than how I used to store my fabric just folded on shelves because I can take one thing out without messing everything else up. All my other fabric was constantly getting unfolded and messy from picking it up to grab stuff from underneath.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Oh. My. God ITK. I love your setup. It really is like a store. I realized two things: I need more fabric and I need shelves

• Mandmeesh said:
    Oh. My. God ITK. I love your setup. It really is like a store. I realized two things: I need more fabric and I need shelves
    And I need a room to actually do craft work in.

The kids can share a room in the basement right? 
  • sarenu1 said:

Mandmeesh said:

Oh. My. God ITK. I love your setup. It really is like a store. I realized two things: I need more fabric and I need shelves

And I need a room to actually do craft work in.

The kids can share a room in the basement right? 

Yes, totally. They can room with ITK down in there. I'm sure she's made it cozy

• Omg ITK I totally recognize your house from this photo. Also by posting this I have figured out your real name. You should be very careful! >:) ( totally just kidding. Please don't cut me) ;)

• Mandmeesh said:

You know, funny thing is I actually realized that I need more fabric too.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • I am annoyed at how not straight my fabric all is in there right now. I'm in the process of making new, more uniform sized cardboard which should give me even more space on these shelves.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • N_KozN_Koz member
    Wow I am impressed you may have a better selection than the last fabric store I went to ITK

image   Visit The Nest!   Visit The Nest!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 
  • ITK makes a good point... It depends on your fabric stash as to what storage solution works best for you. My stash is almost all 1 yd or less of various cotton patterns for quilting and crafting. That's why the drawers work best for me. ITK has much more of each type of fabric for apparel. The bolts are much more practical for her :)
    London Eye 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"